DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Showing Your FAA # Smart

you can go on the FAA website and find millions of them, what is the big deal

Reactions: russellg
you can go on the FAA website and find millions of them
Hobbyist registrations (Section 336) are not listed on the FAA's website.

All of these valid points further demonstrate that the whole initiative is at best poorly thought through.
IMHO this is just an effort to make someone feel that they have at least done something, anything.

Reactions: BD0G
I think I will post mine on every forum I can !

That way when some Drone Jihad happens and it has my number on the bird I can just indicate to the FAA or other authority that since I was required by law to place my FAA Registration number on the outside of my Mavic and I love taking pictures of it and posting them well it would be easy for some unscrupulous person to use my number. Thats MY alibi !

There are always 4 sides to a coin.

The side that ended up. The side that ended up down. The side that is perceived to have ended up. The side that is perceived to have ended down.

At that point they may require you to buy a plate they make that cannot be forged easily. And like my European car, the front plates don’t fit. Lol.

Someone could even change the license plates on one of my vehicles. I probably would not notice on at least 2 of them for a month or more. My main ride license is FAA107, I know, I know. I’m ****!

If you don't show your Faa #s; You are going to get a HEFTY FINE........If Caught. $27500.00
I'll Show Everything they want.
Follow the new Rules of Big Brother and have fun.
live your life and stop worrying about what others are doing or maybe doing.
Life is to short these days. LOL

Well, I agree russellg, but don't count your chickens. Oh, and by the way this thread was "not" about not putting numbers on your AC they certainly should be there, but just about showing them.
All points taken and understood.
Fly safe.

Last edited:
Forging a convincing fake license plate out of metal and putting it on your car and then losing your car is a great deal less likely than writing someone else's registration number on your drone with a Sharpie and then losing your relatively inexpensive drone doing something stupid.

While that is true, there is nothing to worry about really. Because, the real owner of that number can show where he was and when he was flying his own drone and probably his cell phone might show his real whereabouts, if it were something serious that happened with the fake drone number's flying machine.

I would think that in the guts of a drone there is some record or flight log being recorded, so that if the suspect drone were found (and that is the only way the number would be relevant) it would be easy to decipher where it had previously been flying.

ahhh.. interesting difference between our two countries. I figured Canada would have just followed the US procedures. Thanks for replying
If you are not Part 107 registered, your drone reg. is for the recreational flying pilot, not the aircraft. This way the pilot can have, say, 4 drones and fly each one and still be legal since the number goes with him and not the flying machine in use.

Laws are only for people that will follow them. Someone who wants to do something illegal will do it regardless of the law. We still have drugs, murder, theft and so on and all are illegal.

Reactions: Thomas B
Forging a convincing fake license plate out of metal and putting it on your car and then losing your car is a great deal less likely than writing someone else's registration number on your drone with a Sharpie and then losing your relatively inexpensive drone doing something stupid.
True enough, but usually the plates are stolen... son in law is a LEO and he says he sees that several times a week.

Laws are only for people that will follow them. Someone who wants to do something illegal will do it regardless of the law. We still have drugs, murder, theft and so on and all are illegal.
So true, like the old adage about locks being for the honest only!

True enough, but usually the plates are stolen... son in law is a LEO and he says he sees that several times a week.

You understand I was replying specifically in the context of msinger's question to me.

If some nut, (and we have some) that does not follow regulations and wants to put your number on their drone, and fly's into trouble like a crowd or building or sporting event ... Just a thought.
Just a thought
You've started with the unlikely assumption that someone with bad intentions would mark his drone with any numbers?
Why would they?
And if they really felt the need to mark the drone, why go to the trouble of finding any specific number.
It makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Thomas B
True, and that's why I started with, "Some Nut".
I think we covered it.
Fly Safe.

Just a thought
You've started with the unlikely assumption that someone with bad intentions would mark his drone with any numbers?
Why would they?
And if they really felt the need to mark the drone, why go to the trouble of finding any specific number.
It makes no sense at all.

They might not be looking for a “specific number,” but if they see a number posted online they might just decide to use that one.

If you don’t think it’s a concern, great. Knock yourself out and post your number in public. I don’t know why it’s worth arguing about at least calling attention to the fact it’s something people should think about before they post their numbers publicly.

Post it or don’t post it. What difference does it make to you if someone else has privacy concerns?

Is it any more public than something like a license plate on your car? I can see that too, but what can I do with it?
Plate spoofing is actually common in some places, with victims sometimes needing months before they are cleared of the thief's infractions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet