DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Canada basic drone exam multiple choice or long answer?

Where are you getting the 19 km figure in regards to airports?

The current rules are in this link:

- at least 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)

- at least 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only

There will be new regulations coming into effect on June 1st of this year. The rules dealing with proximity to airports will be remaining the same.

I just passed my basic, 2nd attempt, there goes $25 , but it keeps me out of trouble and avoid Thousands if they start enforcing things. Now to figure out how Accessible they need this cert.. i mean its digital.. on my tablet i fly with should be enough

901.09 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless the certificate of registration issued in respect of the remotely piloted aircraft is easily accessible to the pilot for the duration of the operation.

nothing says printed... hmmm

I just passed my basic, 2nd attempt, there goes $25 , but it keeps me out of trouble and avoid Thousands if they start enforcing things. Now to figure out how Accessible they need this cert.. i mean its digital.. on my tablet i fly with should be enough

901.09 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless the certificate of registration issued in respect of the remotely piloted aircraft is easily accessible to the pilot for the duration of the operation.

nothing says printed... hmmm
I printed copies and stuffed them into my drone case under the padding...now to remember when they ask in 6 months lol

Reactions: mad monkey
Passed my Basic exam with 91% so I'm legal now :D

Don's video really helped me focus on what I needed to review.

According to Transport Canada I should review Catapult Theory, as I got that question wrong. I passed the questions on Bernoulli and helicopter controls, not to mention icing, where to find ATC frequencies, how to read air navigation maps, etc.

Anyone know where I can learn about Catapult Theory? I'm curious — I didn't know catapults and drones were a thing.

Reactions: bcoles
Well, I now know what causes hyperventilation and what happens to a fixed-wing aircraft when the center of gravity is aft. Super useful knowledge.

I passed with 88% on the first try with no studying and only google + this document. You know your government really cares about your skill as a drone operator when... :rolleyes:

Well, I now know what causes hyperventilation and what happens to a fixed-wing aircraft when the center of gravity is aft. Super useful knowledge.

I passed with 88% on the first try with no studying and only google + this document. You know your government really cares about your skill as a drone operator when... :rolleyes:

It's pretty funny how little it had to do with drones. It's obviously just an old pilot's exam, and you can use google so it's impossible to fail. Seems rather pointless, but then again so are a lot of other tests/licences as they are just money grabs.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It's pretty funny how little it had to do with drones. It's obviously just an old pilot's exam, and you can use google so it's impossible to fail. Seems rather pointless, but then again so are a lot of other tests/licences as they are just money grabs.
Wait until you do the advanced exam :)

I’m a total noob. I just ordered a Mavic Air 2. Do you register the Drone first and then get your basic license or does it matter?
Not sure but I think you will need the serial number to register the drone. (I didn't have to register my Mavic Mini because it's just under 250 grams.) In the meantime get your basic certificate and you'll be flying before you know it. I see you're from Flesherton. I'm hoping to do some drone photography in Eugenia this summer at the falls and around the lake. I have roots in the area. Good luck with the new drone!

Reactions: Parrotoid
Not sure but I think you will need the serial number to register the drone. (I didn't have to register my Mavic Mini because it's just under 250 grams.) In the meantime get your basic certificate and you'll be flying before you know it. I see you're from Flesherton. I'm hoping to do some drone photography in Eugenia this summer at the falls and around the lake. I have roots in the area. Good luck with the new drone!
Thanks, I appreciate all that. Testing first makes practical sense since it won’t ship for at least a week according to DJI. I’m between Flesherton and Eugenia right down in Beaver Valley. Hogg’s Falls is a ten minute walk. I’ve already thought about shooting Old Baldy outside of Kimberley in the fall. Should be spectacular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bosco Bear

Yes, you need the serial number to register a drone with Transport Canada.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143