DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Canada basic drone exam multiple choice or long answer?

jwt873

Reactions
To those who have taken the test... Is it multiple choice or long answer, or perhaps both? I've been searching the net, and Youtube. There is a lot of info on the exam, (I have all the resources & links and such) but can't seem to find out the actual format of the exam. Would just like to know before I start.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT..... Darn.. I just found it online.. It is multiple choice.. I can't delete the post, so disregard this question ...

Last edited:
Just finished it. I passed. But only with 77 percent. Kind of a let-down considering that's it's essentially an open book test.

There were some hard questions that had absolutely nothing to do with drone flying. I couldn't even find the answers on Google.

To those who have taken the test... Is it multiple choice or long answer, or perhaps both? I've been searching the net, and Youtube. There is a lot of info on the exam, (I have all the resources & links and such) but can't seem to find out the actual format of the exam. Would just like to know before I start.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT..... Darn.. I just found it online.. It is multiple choice.. I can't delete the post, so disregard this question ...
Which exam did you take - Basic or Advanced?

I just took the Basic.. The pass mark is 65% I wouldn't have passed the advanced. The pass mark for it is 80%

Multiple choice to answer the OP question. And I agree, some of the questions have nothing to do with Drones. But would have something to do if you were flying a commercial jet.

Also another note: Drones need to be registered with Transport Canada, and you MUST put that registration number on your Drone. As of June 2019 there will be a fine of $1000 CAD if Drone is not registered and add to that, if you don't have the Pilot certification, chalk up another $1000.
The registration of the Drone costs $5 and the Basic exam $10, if you fail the exam, you have to wait 24 hours in order to be able to take it again, and yes, you guessed it, that will be another $10

Hi jwt873. I live in Toronto so I will also have to take this exam. I thought. I would have to wait until June to do this so I’m glad I can do it earlier and get it out of the way. Can you tell me what resources you used to study for it? Thanks!

Hi Ron:

The main links for online study (and to refer to during the exam) are:

Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems).
(CAR) Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems operating within VLOS
(KR) Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual 424 Pages
(AIM) TP 14371 - Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM) - Transport Canada
Open PDF file AIM_2018_2_EN-ACCESS.pdf

Canadian Aviation Regulations
(Full CAR) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-96-433.pdf

Google is important too because they throw in questions that are competely irrelevant for drone flyers... Things like hypoxia as well as the meaning of isogonec and agonic lines.

There's a good YouTube video that ties it all together.....

Lots of luck!!!

Hi Ron:

The main links for online study (and to refer to during the exam) are:

Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems).
(CAR) Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems operating within VLOS
(KR) Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual 424 Pages
(AIM) TP 14371 - Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM) - Transport Canada
Open PDF file AIM_2018_2_EN-ACCESS.pdf

Canadian Aviation Regulations
(Full CAR) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-96-433.pdf

Google is important too because they throw in questions that are competely irrelevant for drone flyers... Things like hypoxia as well as the meaning of isogonec and agonic lines.

There's a good YouTube video that ties it all together.....

Lots of luck!!!

Hey Don! The unbelievably crappy weather we’re having here in Toronto gave me the opportunity to stay home and start preparing for the test. Just watched your video. Very impressed with what you have put together! On top of your first class content and organizational skills, your voice is very clear and articulate. Have you ever considered going into broadcasting? Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

I passed my basic and advanced one on the first try... (I don't have any aviation experience, just a drone user) for anyone doing the advanced... its not that easy. 50 questions in 60 minutes leaves you less than a minute ... google will not help you that quick :) if you have any questions about the test i'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

A few things to note:
- The multiple choice answers are not always easy on about half of them. You will get some that are simple, but that's just not enough to get you a pass with an 80%. So your going to need to know your stuff.
- This is NOT a test on drone knowledge. I don't have my private pilot license but i'm sure that would help. Just a drone user and you'll need to know things like how fast the temperature drops when flying through a cloud - even if your not allowed to fly through clouds... or know your 5 different types of turbulence even if you never hit turbulence. Need to shut down 1 engine even if your mavic pro has 4 that can't be individually shut down... you better know what to do on a plane...
- I know someone who is a pilot who passed this without studying the first time. HOWEVER, their score was just enough to get them a pass and they would tell you that some of the questions they felt had incorrect answers and a lot of trickery.
- You can't take the $10 exam 10 times and expect to get the same amount of questions. They have a pretty large question bank so you'll spend a small fortune trying that route.
- Again, i've hinted at this .. but you better think about this being your private pilot license as there are not many drone questions. Know your weather, notams etc.
- Remember this is transport canada so don't think they won't ask questions you don't thing are stupid. Eg. (this is not a question) but they would ask you something what the vertical climb rate might be on a mavic pro even if the manufacture guidelines dont' even specify it... how's anyone suppose to figure out that answer? (BTW, that isn't an exam question BUT its' considered a fair question to ask when you get to your flight review.)
- No i won't be posting exact questions.

Good luck!

Last edited:
hello i just did my exam and i failed i got 46% .
I know Canada drones laws and regulation but my english isn't good enough to understand all the question and multiple answer.
i don't think i'll ever pass this stupid test. if anyone could help me please email me i would really appreciate you help.

I thing one has to do some work to prepare for both tests, the advance test looks like a lot of work to get chance to pass. I'm not planning to take advance one, basic is good enough for what I need. I purchased Don's Study Guide which help me to organize the process of acquiring the necessary knowledge. Spent 6 hours yesterday in preparation for the basic exam, and then took the exam which I managed to pass at 77%. It took me about 25 minutes to submit the test. I agree with previous posts, some questions should not be included on this test but on another hand they make me to do research after test just for curiosity reasons. Main question is: does this test make me better small RPAS pilot? Theoretically yes but in practice I don't think so. At least now I know what not to do to avoid $1,000 - $5,000 fines :)

2019-03-24_1502.png

Just passed my small basic exam. A LOT of questions seemed not really drone related. Had to google a few questions and even some google wasn't much help with, so took an educated guess. I did the questions that I was certain/comfortable with first then went back to the questions I needed to google. 82% first try. Good Luck to those that will be taking the exam.

For what it's worth, I took the Basic test with zero preparation or research into what the test was like, finished in about 40 minutes (90min allowed) and got 80% on my first try. If I put in any effort whatsoever or spent longer than 30 seconds Googling an answer before guessing, it would have been very easy to do better. Unless you want to for personal reasons, I wouldn't waste money on courses or anything preparing for this test and there is no need to waste hours of your own time reading long, unrelated (to drones) PDF documents to study. Most of it is common sense and/or obvious and I had to look up maybe 6 or 7 of the 35 questions due to exact wording. Most of it has nothing to do with drones at all.

I don't know how big the question "pool" is but this was not a difficult test. IMO you are far better off trying at least once and 'gambling' with $10 before you spend hundreds on a course or hours of your own time studying. It's an open book test with a ridiculous amount of time allowed to complete it at only 65%, so no studying is needed for the average person IMO. Google and CTRL+F should get just about anyone a pass even if you are a beginner. Since the test has almost nothing at all to do with drones, the only thing that really matters is a pass.

You only need to get 23/35 right to pass, so you know it's just a money grab haha.

Just my $0.02.

I am glad seeing people can pass basic exam, I will do mine soon.
But i was concerned new rule on 19km off airport and 30m away from any building/people, that probably make impossible to fly anywhere around GTA.
I agree drone needs some regulation, but the law seems way too much.

e.g. my drone is limited to 100m altitude, and 1000m in video range, the chance of mid-air collision is 0 - I don't know how TC figure out 19km no-fly zone, any manned aircraft would fly 100m higher maybe right off runway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU