DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic Pro good for hard condition photography?

danaco11

Reactions
I own a DJI Phantom 3 Professional drone and mostly use it for construction photography and video for public and private contractors. I have to go twice a month to the construction sites, usually outside the city in rural areas. One big client is constructing a new highway and I fly the drone inside a car as we go through the construction. I feel my Phantom is sturdy and "powerful" enough to sustain the 5-6 hour shoots in construction where weather and wind varies and there is a lot of dust around.

I been thinking of an upgrade to a Phantom 4 or a Mavic Pro but I can't get off the idea that the Mavic Pro won't hold up as good as the bigger and sturdier Phantoms. I feel the Mavic is more for more controlled filmmaking like commercial shoots or blogging than construction, long working hours and strong winds.

I have read the comparisons and I know the performance of the Mavic Pro is very good and better in some cases than the Phantom 3 and 4 in wind conditions, and technology advance in a way that small doesn't mean weak but the opposite, but I can't get that idea off my head, that the Mavic is not a "strong tool" for this kind of work. Anyone use the Mavic Pro for harder, sturdier conditions? I need opinions. Thank you very much!

_____

Danilo Acosta
@danilokustaphotography

Reactions: dirkclod
I have both the Mavic Pro and the P4P. I fly my Mavic Pro and Mavic Air a lot because I always have it with me because of their portability. When I need some serious higher resolution photos I get out the P4P. The Mavic Pro is fairly stable in higher winds but is harder to hand catch if it gets too windy compared to the P4P.

Reactions: danaco11
The Mavic Pro and P4P it's said to have the same camera, but I have read that in reality, the P4P has a better camera. Why would you think so? Thanks!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

I own a DJI Phantom 3 Professional drone and mostly use it for construction photography and video for public and private contractors. I have to go twice a month to the construction sites, usually outside the city in rural areas. One big client is constructing a new highway and I fly the drone inside a car as we go through the construction. I feel my Phantom is sturdy and "powerful" enough to sustain the 5-6 hour shoots in construction where weather and wind varies and there is a lot of dust around.

I been thinking of an upgrade to a Phantom 4 or a Mavic Pro but I can't get off the idea that the Mavic Pro won't hold up as good as the bigger and sturdier Phantoms. I feel the Mavic is more for more controlled filmmaking like commercial shoots or blogging than construction, long working hours and strong winds.

I have read the comparisons and I know the performance of the Mavic Pro is very good and better in some cases than the Phantom 3 and 4 in wind conditions, and technology advance in a way that small doesn't mean weak but the opposite, but I can't get that idea off my head, that the Mavic is not a "strong tool" for this kind of work. Anyone use the Mavic Pro for harder, sturdier conditions? I need opinions. Thank you very much!

_____

Danilo Acosta
@danilokustaphotography
Howdy from Wyoming @danaco11 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

The Mavic Pro and P4P it's said to have the same camera, but I have read that in reality, the P4P has a better camera. Why would you think so? Thanks!

The P4P has a better camera than the MP. Not only will it take 20mp stills as compared to the 12mp from the MP, but it will film 4k at 60 fps versus the 45 fps of theMavic.

For this reason I would like to get a P4P. I have heard that most customers that would want u to do cell tower inspections or roof inspections want u to have a camera that will take at least 20mp stills.

It’s a trade off tho. U can’t beat the portability of the Mavic.

_____

Danilo Acosta
@danilokustaphotography

If you want to know how amazingly strong the Phantom 4 is have a look at this video of Team Brunel flying one in the Southern Ocean in 30-knots of air and running downwind at 30-knots. I have Mavic Pro Platinum but have not flown it in extreme winds so I can't say how it might compare. I realize this is an old post, what did you decide to do and how did it work out?

Phantom 4 Pro - Volvo Ocean Race - 30-knots wind

If you want to know how amazingly strong the Phantom 4 is have a look at this video of Team Brunel flying one in the Southern Ocean in 30-knots of air and running downwind at 30-knots. I have Mavic Pro Platinum but have not flown it in extreme winds so I can't say how it might compare. I realize this is an old post, what did you decide to do and how did it work out?

Phantom 4 Pro - Volvo Ocean Race - 30-knots wind
your insane

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada