DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the plus battery worth the extra hoops and regulations you jump through?

Do you have a VND for the M3P? If you do, can you link to it please? I can’t find a VND for the M3P for love nor money.
I don’t have an M3P, nor am I likely to buy one. But I use Freewell VNDs on my MA2. I’M sure Freewell, Polarpro and others will get round to making them if they haven’t yet.

I wouldn't suggest using a VND, but if you can find one it's up to you obviously. They are far more useful on a traditional camera where you can simply reach forward and adjust the value but even then they come with many caveats. On a drone, you still have to land the drone to change the ND value, saving you probably no more than 10-20 seconds compared to just swapping to a different ND filter which IMO is not at all worth it given the disadvantages.

VNDs aren't actual neutral density filters in the way most people think of NDs - they are two polarizers stacked on top of each other, and even very expensive ones made for full frame cameras have trouble with brightness uniformity across the frame. Depending on how they're made, they of course come with many of the same disadvantages of using polarizers on a drone, for example your desired ND setting might create undesirable polarizing effects and your footage will change as your angle to the sun changes. Furthermore, if you wish to have full control over the polarizing effect, you cannot stack an additional polarizer on top of a VND because then you will then have 3 polarizers with very unpredictable results and horrible vignetting.

Many of them also introduce worse color casts than regular NDs, made even worse by the fact that they change with the effect strength. Also if you don't have them set properly, they will put a big black "X" across the frame. Yet another disadvantage is the fact that you are now stacking 2 additional pieces of glass onto the original lens, which means flare performance will be worse and vignetting will be worse. All of these problems are exaggerated on wide angle lenses, which of course is what most drones have. Good VNDs in the "traditional" photography world are extremely expensive and still don't do a very good job of mitigating the issues.

Unless you are very opposed to it, I would just buy a good set of regular NDs and carry on.
Some good points, but the biggest weakness in the structure of most drones is the gimbal. I find holding the gimbal steady, so as not to strain it whilst changing filters, a bit of a fiddle. Adjusting a VND is much easier and puts less strain on the gimbal—at least in my experience.

Reactions: Flashheart
Just curious what other peoples thoughts are

It adds like 12 min extra flight time? Is that very noticeable? Is it worth the headache and having to obey other regulations you wouldnt have to otherwise?

As a drone above 250g you would no longer be able to fly during night time, would have to stay further away from airports etc and large parts of the city here in Toronto become no fly zones where you could fly there with a 250g no problem
Yes.
There are a couple of Youtube videos that show a 0% battery hover time of exactly 40 minutes. Same thing for standard battery is closer to 25 minutes. Does it matter? if you do some of the examples people mention, its a game changer. In addition, it greatly increases the safety factor: discovering mid flight the wind has changed to against the return flight, avoiding people who wander into your return path and needing to either wait or go around them; a surprise disconnect and the RTH goes to 200ft unexpectedly increasing the return flight; etc. Longer flight time is also less likely to cramp creativity; waiting 5 minutes for a sunset or a train to get in the best position is no big deal. Finally, batteries will reduce as they age: 25 minutes now will be 20 minutes next year and 15 minutes not too long after. A little more $ now for bigger batteries might make the drone last longer before needing pricey new batteries.

To me its a big deal and was one key reason to get the Mini 3 Pro rather than a cheaper refurb Air 2s.

40 minute hover maybe ruining the battery:

Reactions: Flashheart
Law enforcement doesn't need to know anything about the drone or the different battery options, they just need a scale :)

FWIW I've never been bothered either but I take comfort in knowing I am not exposed to the huge fines, and I also avoid situations where I am likely to get a visit from law enforcement anyway. Even if you're totally within your rights, if you catch someone on a bad day they can still make your life miserable if you have to go to court and prove your innocence.
Seriously, 5 years into drones and I have literally never run into anyone who cared other than to ask what it was and if it was fun. Admittedly, I try hard not to be annoying and (mostly) obey the rules. It is surprising how many people smile if you offer to let them try it. (Stand 10 ft away; auto take off button; left stick only and don't touch the right; RTH to end the flight.)

In the US anyway, it is unimaginable that the police would have a scale to detect whether it was 250g or 290g or that they would care. Assuming no one has complained, they either have real police work to do or tend to live and let live. Yes, I do live in a liberal bastion where the police can be surprisingly nice.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Seriously, 5 years into drones and I have literally never run into anyone who cared other than to ask what it was and if it was fun. Admittedly, I try hard not to be annoying and (mostly) obey the rules. It is surprising how many people smile if you offer to let them try it. (Stand 10 ft away; auto take off button; left stick only and don't touch the right; RTH to end the flight.)

In the US anyway, it is unimaginable that the police would have a scale to detect whether it was 250g or 290g or that they would care. Assuming no one has complained, they either have real police work to do or tend to live and let live. Yes, I do live in a liberal bastion where the police can be surprisingly nice.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure it's not uncommon for police to have a scale with them due to drug seizures. That's also something that may vary by area though.

Yes.
There are a couple of Youtube videos that show a 0% battery hover time of exactly 40 minutes. Same thing for standard battery is closer to 25 minutes. Does it matter? if you do some of the examples people mention, its a game changer. In addition, it greatly increases the safety factor: discovering mid flight the wind has changed to against the return flight, avoiding people who wander into your return path and needing to either wait or go around them; a surprise disconnect and the RTH goes to 200ft unexpectedly increasing the return flight; etc. Longer flight time is also less likely to cramp creativity; waiting 5 minutes for a sunset or a train to get in the best position is no big deal. Finally, batteries will reduce as they age: 25 minutes now will be 20 minutes next year and 15 minutes not too long after. A little more $ now for bigger batteries might make the drone last longer before needing pricey new batteries.

To me its a big deal and was one key reason to get the Mini 3 Pro rather than a cheaper refurb Air 2s.

Just to add to this, since it's not only bad for your battery to be run down to 0%, but also very unsafe, most people land their drone with around 20% remaining. On top of that you will almost never get advertised flight times - DJI's ratings assume steady forward movement in a windless environment (hovering actually uses more battery). So lets say you get 40 min with the extended battery, you end up with about 30-32min of actual flight time rather than ~20-22min with the regular battery. Both are pretty good though - even 20 min feels like a long time when you're just standing there.

What I love about the Mini batteries is that they are the same size, so you just pop in a 249g compliant version when needed and you have the high capacity ones for when you aren't under the same restrictions.

Yes.

The problem is that in Canada, you basically can't fly a drone thats over 250g over any parts of most of Toronto (the major city) or its surrounding towns

The problem is that in Canada, you basically can't fly a drone thats over 250g over any parts of most of Toronto (the major city) or its surrounding towns
At the risk of being Captain Obvious, most of Canada isn't the GTA. Plenty of places to fly legally, as long as you aren't doing it in a major city. (Ottawa, Calgary, and Vancouver are as restricted as Toronto.)

Under the current system, the choices for flying in Toronto (Ottawa, Vancouver etc.) are either sub-250g or get an advanced sRPAS certificate and SFOC.

Sub-250g is easier and less hassle.

Aside from the battery issue is that getting in and out of the middle of the river with my fly rod is work enough and I could not imagine also trying to hold on to the drone and controller at the same time as I navigate the swirling waters around my knees. See the attachments of my latest fishing outing in Montana.View attachment 152412
absolutely stunning pic. Need to get back to Montana!

Just curious what other peoples thoughts are

It adds like 12 min extra flight time? Is that very noticeable? Is it worth the headache and having to obey other regulations you wouldnt have to otherwise?

As a drone above 250g you would no longer be able to fly during night time, would have to stay further away from airports etc and large parts of the city here in Toronto become no fly zones where you could fly there with a 250g no problem
I piggyback a 3000mah. Battery and run parallel for extra fight time

@shadow3467 ,personally its not worth the hassle,its easier just to do what i did and purchase an extra battery ,i now have 4 for each of my drones ,so i have plenty of flight time ,and all the benefits that a sub 250g drone gives me in the UK
But you have to return to put another battery in, I piggyback another bat.

It is nice to have the longer flight time. With that extra battery it seems like a LOT of extra time. I think it is worth it for sure.

I find this thread kinda comical. Weight of mini 3:
Without battery: 177g
with std. battery: 257g
with + battery: 297g

Bottom line, even if I end up in court with either option, I'm still going to lose.
Chances I end up in court flying a mini drone: 0.0001%

BTW, having a real world 30+ minutes of flight time is awesome and worth the $95 in my opinion. I used to only get about 1/2 that time with my original FC40.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure it's not uncommon for police to have a scale with them due to drug seizures. That's also something that may vary by area though.
I'd say it's almost unheard of for officers to carry a scale. They have a lot of things clipped onto those belts, but a scale?

I find this thread kinda comical. Weight of mini 3:
Without battery: 177g
with std. battery: 257g
with + battery: 297g

Bottom line, even if I end up in court with either option, I'm still going to lose.
Chances I end up in court flying a mini drone: 0.0001%

BTW, having a real world 30+ minutes of flight time is awesome and worth the $95 in my opinion. I used to only get about 1/2 that time with my original FC40.

Mine isn't 257g with the standard battery .. are your scales accurate? Or perhaps it's strobes/landing legs/etc?

Mine isn't 257g with the standard battery .. are your scales accurate? Or perhaps it's strobes/landing legs/etc?
My error. Had the gimbal cover on. Gimbal cover weighs 10.2g

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard