DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a way to fly with all the lights off on the Enterprise ?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
One of our clients recently asked this question that does Surveillance .

I dont see it anywhere in the setting , anyone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm

Two things:

1. In the DJI Pilot app go to camera settings and select Smart Arm LEDs...This should make the M2E go ‘dark’... you might also check the settings for the bottom LED because if you get too low it could turn the ‘landing light’ on.

2. Just sayin’ - It should be a Part 107 flight with all the necessary waivers, as the presumption is a)this is at night, and b) the pilot (and/or visual observer)cannot maintain VLOS to determine distance, altitude or orientation of the sUAS by the unaided eye. Their night waiver needs to state this and how they will mitigate these risks.

This would not just be a ‘standard’ night waiver, as you typically have to run a strobe or other marker lights on the aircraft that allow you to see it at 3 statute miles.

That just gave me a brainstorm; the visual observer could have night vision on and you put a IR marker light on the M2E (hehe)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Two things:

1. In the DJI Pilot app go to camera settings and select Smart Arm LEDs...This should make the M2E go ‘dark’... you might as will have to check the settings for the bottom LED because if you get too low it could turn the ‘landing light’ on.

2. Just sayin’ - It should be a Part 107 flight with all the necessary waivers, as the presumption is a)this is at night, and b) the pilot (and/or visual observer)cannot maintain VLOS to determine distance, altitude or orientation of the sUAS by the unaided eye. Their night waiver needs to state this and how they will mitigate these risks.

This would not just be a ‘standard’ night waiver, as you typically have to run a strobe or other marker lights on the aircraft that allow you to see it at 3 statute miles.

That just gave me a brainstorm; the visual observer could have night vision on and you put a IR marker light on the M2E (hehe)...
As I understand it, visual line of sight (VLoS) must be unaided for the pilot in command. Visual observers are for collision avoidance, not a replacement or substitute for the pilot in command maintaining VLoS. Flying dark is not an option as unaided VLoS would become nearly impossible except for extremely close or other odd conditions. Flying at night for a 107 requires a waiver. Flying at but for recreation doesn't not, oddly enough.

Perhaps I just misread a post or two leading me to comment this. If so my apologies.

Edit. Yeah sorry it's all pretty much in #2 though I bet that would be a hard waiver to get.

As I understand it, visual line of sight (VLoS) must be unaided for the pilot in command. Visual observers are for collision avoidance, not a replacement or substitute for the pilot in command maintaining VLoS. Flying dark is not an option as unaided VLoS would become nearly impossible except for extremely close or other odd conditions. Flying at night for a 107 requires a waiver. Flying at but for recreation doesn't not, oddly enough.

Perhaps I just misread a post or two leading me to comment this. If so my apologies.

Edit. Yeah sorry it's all pretty much in #2 though I bet that would be a hard waiver to get.

Good Point, The client is using this for Home Safety and Perimiter checks and is purely recreational
he uses the speaker system to break up groups of teens gathering at night on his property. .

Reactions: bfine
Good Point, The client is using this for Home Safety and Perimiter checks and is purely recreational
he uses the speaker system to break up groups of teens gathering at night on his property. .
I'd still worry about flying dark though. I would need to read the fine print again. Hate for some to end up with a big fine for a reason like that.

I
I'd still worry about flying dark though. I would need to read the fine print again. Hate for some to end up with a big fine for a reason like that.
It would be hard to prove after the fact that the lights were off. They are blinking lights.
One can also easily put tape over all the lights, so as not to be a target at night.

Two things:

1. In the DJI Pilot app go to camera settings and select Smart Arm LEDs...This should make the M2E go ‘dark’... you might also check the settings for the bottom LED because if you get too low it could turn the ‘landing light’ on.
If it is under the camera settings, that is not the stealth mode. That is strictly for the front lights, to automatically turn them off only while using the camera for video or stills at night. There is a separate setting to to turn them off all the time under general settings. That is the same place where I would expect the stealth mode setting to be, to turn off both front and rear lights, and disable the landing LED's.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Under 107 in the USA you can use a Visual Observer that does not need to be co-located with the pilot...in fact they can be quite a distance away and communicate (for example) by radio.

Multiple VOs can also be used under 107 operations, and can be the pilots’ ‘eyes’. This can also be part of a waiver for night operations.

Just some of the differences when flying under Part 107.

Reactions: Gindra
I don't believe that a observer can serve as the eyes of the pilot in command or replace VLOS for the pilot in command. They are aids not replacements. The communication part can be aided as you stated. The pilot in command is to maintain VLOS and regain it asap if it's lost for some reason. The observer could be quite a distance away to communicate obstructions and dangers. I don't know if waivers can change this or not as I don't work with waivers at this point.

But this is way off the OPs question. Probably a discussion for some other thread since the flights are "recreational" and what not. :)

Edit: 107.33 is my reference point and Advisory Circular 107-2 on 107.33 section 5.7 page 5-4.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos