DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there really a "sideways" flying?

Amit Dunsky

Reactions
Site
www.facebook.com
I was flying sideways along a quay, taking video. And it got me thinking: Being that this drone is actually a quadcopter with all rotors at the same size and all motors at the same characteristics, is there really a notion of aeronautically sideways?
Or should I ask: Other than where the camera and OA sensors are pointing, is there a "forward" side of the drone? Does it drain more/less battery power when flying forward/backward or sideways?

Reactions: a2tomm
@Amit Dunsky ,based purely on aerodynamic drag then there would be more drag if the drone was flying sideways ,based purely on the surface area of the side of the drone ,compared to the front or rear of the drone

@Amit Dunsky ,based purely on aerodynamic drag then there would be more drag if the drone was flying sideways ,based purely on the surface area of the side of the drone ,compared to the front or rear of the drone
Good point. What about the same question, but considering the drone being a Phantom4 ?

like what you did there ,on all 4 fronts of a Phantom 4 ,or is that 4 sides

Reactions: a2tomm
An experiment perhaps.
Suspend a drone from two strings ( to try to prevent spin) such that you can simulate forward flight and then sideways flight. Direct the output of a fan at the drone and see which 'direction of flight' cause the greatest 'swing' of the drone.

Any flight taken with the long "side" of an asymmetric drone would in theory produce more drag, and thus less battery life.

But it would be negligible as best. I would imagine stick action and flight aggressiveness would create more of a difference to flight times while in flight.

Interesting thought though.

Preparing your case for when some legal body claims your drone was beyond VLOS because you couldn't determine which way it was pointing?

"Of course I could see which way it was pointing...it was pointing outward. It's always pointing outward, and I can see that from far away, so it was definitely in VLOS..."

Preparing your case for when some legal body claims your drone was beyond VLOS because you couldn't determine which way it was pointing?

"Of course I could see which way it was pointing...it was pointing outward. It's always pointing outward, and I can see that from far away, so it was definitely in VLOS..."
I don’t know, when I leave a room where the conversation is boring and a waste of time…I walk backwards, so, people perceive that I’m entering the room. 🤣

I don’t know, when I leave a room where the conversation is boring and a waste of time…I walk backwards, so, people perceive that I’m entering the room. 🤣
And in the same sort of sentiment...when I wish to hang up on someone and not let them know I'm doing it, I do it while I'm talking and mid-sentence, not when they are! No one suspects being hung up on while you're doing the talking!
"oops...lost signal"

Reactions: Jam0ne
I dunno what or if there is an official aeronautical term for flying sideways. But how else would you describe directional travel with the port or starboard side of the drone leading called anything other than flying sideways? Is "crabbing" the official term when the drone is turned at 45° to the direction of travel and flying in a vector that is half forward and half sideways?

Does it drain more/less battery power when flying forward/backward or sideway
I like that question. I've never really thought about that aspect of flying my drone, but I fly arcs about as often as I fly forward, and I have never noticed it effecting the battery time. I think it has to do with the speed the drone is able to obtain in sideways flight. I don't think either of my Airs will reach 42 mph sideways. When you increase speed you increase drag..yada yada yada.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21