DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a hard landing??

pookguy88

Reactions
So my phone started screwing up, extremely laggy UI on the DJI Go app and for some reason I had trouble pressing the 'land' button so after awhile (it didn't present me with the landing slider) the drone just did this (video) landing... was it too hard?? Usually it's much smoother than this.

Anyone know what could've happened?

Reactions: xi-elf
This looks like a normal landing? Holding the left stick down when in mode 2 will force an auto land. A hard landing would be full speed down into the ground. You wouldn't question if it was hard or not.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I'm just asking because if you look at the rear of the mavic it kind of does a bit of a bounce when it lands

As another has stated...if it was truly a hard landing you would know it and please familiarize yourself with the RC sticks. They are able to more then just move the aircraft around.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Looks like you're in sport mode. That's a normal landing, especially in that mode. Put in normal P mode and it won't scare you so much.

Just position the mavic above where you want it to land and apply left stick down. You can abort landing if unhappy with positioning or if wind moves you across just holding or raising the mavic a little until you are satisfied with position for landing. Its pretty easy after a few goes.
But bugger that!
Just pull the Mavic down to eye level facing full left or full right away from you. Approach (now from side) and grab its belly while holding down on the left stick until motors stop (3 secs).
Catch-land will save your props and drastically reduce chances of bad landings altogether.

Thanks for that, I've always wanted to try the catch land. What flying mode do I need to be in to do that? Can I do it in sport mode? Do I need to turn off the bottom/VPS sensors?

Just position the mavic above where you want it to land and apply left stick down. You can abort landing if unhappy with positioning or if wind moves you across just holding or raising the mavic a little until you are satisfied with position for landing. Its pretty easy after a few goes.
But bugger that!
Just pull the Mavic down to eye level facing full left or full right away from you. Approach (now from side) and grab its belly while holding down on the left stick until motors stop (3 secs).
Catch-land will save your props and drastically reduce chances of bad landings altogether.

Wouldn't the downward sensors, sense your hand and cause the Mavic to rise? I had a malfunction with my RC one time where it wouldn't control the Mavic at all. When i grabbed it from below it would kick the rotors on full speed, as if it was trying to avoid my hand.

I tried landing on Sport Mode once. Because I forgot it was on Sport Mode. It was about 5 feet off the ground but still descending full speed. I pulled up, but a little too late. It bounced off the grass in my backyard then flew up again. Probably not gonna make that mistake again.

Reactions: Daptone
@Masheen so I just tried the catch landing, it worked; thanks for the tips.

It was like how @mw174620 described, once I grabbed a hold of it and then pulled the left stick down it wanted to rise a bit, I held it and the motors turned off after a couple seconds. I had it on sport mode, should I turn off sport mode when I do this? When you grab it like that and it fights to pull up, doesn't that harm the motors? is there a way to do a catch landing so that it doesn't try to pull up?

@Masheen so I just tried the catch landing, it worked; thanks for the tips.

It was like how @mw174620 described, once I grabbed a hold of it and then pulled the left stick down it wanted to rise a bit, I held it and the motors turned off after a couple seconds. I had it on sport mode, should I turn off sport mode when I do this? When you grab it like that and it fights to pull up, doesn't that harm the motors? is there a way to do a catch landing so that it doesn't try to pull up?

Turn off the downward vision positioning/sensors. Not highly recommended though. I would just go out of sport mode, it is only flipping a switch.

If you turn off the VPS and forget that you did so, you will learn what a hard landing is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiuserjohn