DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s out… Are they nuts?

B&H PayBoo is great, tax refund at checkout & free shipping is a nice discount on higher dollar items!

I pay off to avoid interest... that's high on PayBoo. Made mistake of not watching email and missed their e-stmt... got me on interest once, ouch!
In some states Payboo has great benefits. In Chicago, for instance, the sales tax rate is 10.25%. Where people get fooled into thinking that they're "only" paying 10.25%, they fail to recognize they'e already paid income tax on the money they're using to pay sales tax. So, the REAL benefit, depending on tax bracket is 13%-!5%. [Generally in Illinois income tax is 25% fed and 5% State income taxes.] You do the math. A $300 saving (on the face alone) is a couple gasoline fill-ups that have are near record high prices (and expected to continue rising). In reality you're saving close to $500.

There are few other vendors around who do not charge internet sales income tax- who will go nameless.

In some states Payboo has great benefits. In Chicago, for instance, the sales tax rate is 10.25%. Where people get fooled into thinking that they're "only" paying 10.25%, they fail to recognize they'e already paid income tax on the money they're using to pay sales tax. So, the REAL benefit, depending on tax bracket is 13%-!5%. [Generally in Illinois income tax is 25% fed and 5% State income taxes.] You do the math. A $300 saving (on the face alone) is a couple gasoline fill-ups that have are near record high prices (and expected to continue rising). In reality you're saving close to $500.

There are few other vendors around who do not charge internet sales income tax- who will go nameless.
I'm not sure that I follow your maths. You pay the income tax whether or not you subsequently use the income to pay sales tax, so you still only save the sales tax.

THANKS, purchased my M3 on Friday, 4 days ago at B&H in NYC, just saw the post above re payboo, applied, accepted, called B&H and they refunded my CC, charged my payboo and saved me $197!

I'm not sure that I follow your maths. You pay the income tax whether or not you subsequently use the income to pay sales tax, so you still only save the sales tax.
To be succinct, the point is that YOU PAY TAX TWICE ON THE SAME DOLLAR!
If you trade a car in Illinois that is valued over $10k, now you can only deduct $10 on the trade against the sales tax on the new car, and pay tax AGAIN on the value exceeding $10. IMO sales tax is insidious as it is a flat percentage, hitting lower income people harder. I believe only in income tax, so that all taxation is directly linked to income.

And then there is property tax, which really hurts the aging homeowner, often forcing them from their homes. Imagine having no mortgage but not being able to afford the property tax!

To be succinct, the point is that YOU PAY TAX TWICE ON THE SAME DOLLAR!
If you trade a car in Illinois that is valued over $10k, now you can only deduct $10 on the trade against the sales tax on the new car, and pay tax AGAIN on the value exceeding $10. IMO sales tax is insidious as it is a flat percentage, hitting lower income people harder. I believe only in income tax, so that all taxation is directly linked to income.

And then there is property tax, which really hurts the aging homeowner, often forcing them from their homes. Imagine having no mortgage but not being able to afford the property tax!
That seems to be addressing a completely different example. To go back to the one being discussed, you pay income tax on your income whether you spend it or not. You pay sales tax (generally) on things that you purchase. If you avoid paying the sales tax then you save just the sales tax - it doesn't reduce the income tax burden.

So yes - income tax plus sales tax is double taxation. But income tax with no sales tax only saves you the sales tax.

So yes - income tax plus sales tax is double taxation. But income tax with no sales tax only saves you the sales tax.
No... It saves you both because had you been charged sales tax the double taxation would then apply. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

No... It saves you both because had you been charged sales tax the double taxation would then apply. I'm not sure how you can't see that.
I think I can't see it because it is wrong. If you pay sales tax then you are taxed twice. If you don't pay sales tax then you are taxed once. That only saves you one tax - the sales tax.

I think I can't see it because it is wrong. If you pay sales tax then you are taxed twice. If you don't pay sales tax then you are taxed once. That only saves you one tax - the sales tax.
Metaphorically, if you’d like to think about it this way, it’s like potential energy versus kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored energy while kinetic energy is active energy. It’s the same way with this tax example.

Metaphorically, if you’d like to think about it this way, it’s like potential energy versus kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored energy while kinetic energy is active energy. It’s the same way with this tax example.
I am going to sit in the very back of this classroom, and hope no one sees me. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I would have preferred a simple direct explanation of your hypothesis. Or at least an argument as to why you think my statement in post #167 is wrong.

But that's an interesting attempt to draw an analogy between currency and energy. Total energy might be wealth. Potential energy is entirely configurational, and might be considered equivalent to savings. Then kinetic energy could be durable goods - since it can be converted back to potential energy. That would leave entropy as depreciation of goods. But I don't think that taxation has an analog in this thought experiment.

Maybe we'll see some serious deals in a few months.
I saw that video and I believe he's just stirring the pot.

He was asked where people are returning and selling for a loss and he just said FB groups, without mentioning specific ones.

Also, he pivoted on YT from camera drones, to fpv drones, to no drones, to now fixing/modding/selling drones especially the Inspire 1, which he has been pushing. I'm not knocking his hustle and over the years I've come to respect him for being honest and not kissing *** in reviews. But I do believe he is biased on this one.

I believe only in income tax
Why would you specifically believe in the tax that is easiest to lower and avoid, and is being done so by the wealthiest?

Not to mention, the highest earners are the ones getting hit the most at the highest rates... Why should a doctor's effective tax rate be higher than a guy who lives off of capital gains? Taxing sweat at higher rates than owning securities is retarded.

So are the schemes the wealthy use to dodge taxes. Look into the Pandora papers, among the plenty of tax cheat leaks that have surfaced in recent years.

I'm not offering any solutions, but believing in income tax over others just doesn't make sense to me, which is my point.

B&H Photo's PayBoo remains a nice perk... got a lot of traction with Tax discussions. Made me miss my Econ classes!

Has anyone found new Reviews on the Mavic 3 yet? 🙃😉

For me, DJI always released drones that had the "shut up and take my money" effect, `or the "oh yes, I want it, but maybe better to skip this for now" effect:
I jumped on the Mavic Pro, the Spark, the Mavic Mini, then the Mavic 2 Pro and the FPV wagons, and skipped the mini 2, the Air, the Air 2S, and will now skip the Mavic 3.

Why? Well, various reasons. The Mavic 2Pro leaves me wishing nothing, especially with the smart controller. The only way I can surpass that experience is to get the FMC with SC, and then budget comes into play. Also timing. I promised myself not to get another drone before the new rules come into play in the EU.

All in all, maybe it is good for me they made the new Mavic so expensive; had they priced it at 2000 euro or less, I might have been tempted. What makes me "sad" is that up till now, I have been able to acquire the Pro level drones, the best the Mavic series had to offer. I guess next drone for me will be the Mavic Air 3... psychologically, that feels like a step back, but also I have to be honest to myself; I 'll never produce professional movies anyway, it's all just for fun. And for fun, I guess keeping my current drones is just perfect... for now :)

For me, DJI always released drones that had the "shut up and take my money" effect, `or the "oh yes, I want it, but maybe better to skip this for now" effect:
I jumped on the Mavic Pro, the Spark, the Mavic Mini, then the Mavic 2 Pro and the FPV wagons, and skipped the mini 2, the Air, the Air 2S, and will now skip the Mavic 3.

Why? Well, various reasons. The Mavic 2Pro leaves me wishing nothing, especially with the smart controller. The only way I can surpass that experience is to get the FMC with SC, and then budget comes into play. Also timing. I promised myself not to get another drone before the new rules come into play in the EU.

All in all, maybe it is good for me they made the new Mavic so expensive; had they priced it at 2000 euro or less, I might have been tempted. What makes me "sad" is that up till now, I have been able to acquire the Pro level drones, the best the Mavic series had to offer. I guess next drone for me will be the Mavic Air 3... psychologically, that feels like a step back, but also I have to be honest to myself; I 'll never produce professional movies anyway, it's all just for fun. And for fun, I guess keeping my current drones is just perfect... for now :)
The Fly More Combo used to be a great deal.

Now it's a ripoff for the Mavic 3.

You're paying 300, well like 250 approx, just for the bag. If you add up all the items separately, it's approximately $3058. Well, how about I subtract 300 and not get the bag, but get everything else in the combo?

Just a terrible value and they know it.

Also, I think it's no fluke that they never added digital zoom via firmware for the Mavic 2 Pro... And screw them for pushing the FM combo with availability vs the just the regular drone. I also don't think it's a flue certain items are now sold out in their store, such as the multi battery charger.

I'm sure I'll get the M3, but this release really has made me wish for more competition in the camera drone market.

I think this was a hard call for DJI because of the shipping containers on hold , over 10 thousand of them ., and xmas and shipping problems and that will cause delays .

Why not send out the Drone knowing that you will be sending the software as soon as possible . The other way was to wait till after xmas and loose out on millions in sales, It was the right move , we just have to learn patience.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and Land on the Water.

The Fly More Combo used to be a great deal.

Now it's a ripoff for the Mavic 3.

You're paying 300, well like 250 approx, just for the bag. If you add up all the items separately, it's approximately $3058. Well, how about I subtract 300 and not get the bag, but get everything else in the combo?
The FM combo additions cost $1062, if you buy them separately. The FM combo costs $800 more than the basic package. How is that a ripoff? And if you don't want the bag then go a la carte without the bag ($2942) and save a whole $57 over the combo with the bag.
Just a terrible value and they know it.
Probably not - they can do basic arithmetic.
Also, I think it's no fluke that they never added digital zoom via firmware for the Mavic 2 Pro...
What use is digital zoom on that platform?
And screw them for pushing the FM combo with availability vs the just the regular drone. I also don't think it's a flue certain items are now sold out in their store, such as the multi battery charger.
I'm sure it isn't a "fluke". It likely reflects a combination of supply chain issues and high demand from people who are buying the M3 rather than just incessantly whining about it.
I'm sure I'll get the M3, but this release really has made me wish for more competition in the camera drone market.
I'm sure you will.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Relative to the individual MSRP of each item in the Fly More combo, it's a good deal.

If you feel that any of the items in the fly more combo are overpriced or not needed, simply make your own combo, and the level of savings will be entirely up to you.

I personally will be making my own combo, but I also don't see a problem with what they've offered. Everyone has options.

Reactions: PAW and sar104
Basically yes, but co-located technically only applies to the recreational exemption. Under Part 107 both the PIC and any VOs must both be able to see the aircraft at all times (which makes daisy chaining pointless and doesn't buy distance) but they do not have to be co-located - that word is not used in Part 107.
I just took my part 107 recurrent training & exam online through the FAA and they really emphasized this point. Several times and in bold font! No daisy-chaining of VOs, and person in control of the aircraft must be able to look up and see the aircraft.

Why not send out the Drone knowing that you will be sending the software as soon as possible . The other way was to wait till after xmas and loose out on millions in sales, It was the right move , we just have to learn patience.
I guess, you're more speaking as a business man than a normal consumer.

$2200 for just the M3 a controller and battery. $3000 for the “fly more” kit. $5000 for the cine version.

Hard pass for me.

I’ll stick with the M2p until I see what Autel does with the EVO3.
When the Inspire 1 first came out, it cost $3000 with one battery and only flew for about 18 minutes and that was probably about 8 years ago. It sold and became pretty popular really quick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11