DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s out… Are they nuts?

Doesn't it seem like 107.3.1 (b) contradicts (a) and says RIPC or VO must have the drone in VLOS?

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.
At my age my memory isn't so great. But I did just take the recurrent test and something in the back of my mind I might recall the FAA changing the language of VLOS rules. I could be way off. But in the past it seems it was accepted that you could post a VO a distance away in the flight path and connect via radio for immediate feedback, but now I recall something about having to be in the immediate proximity of the PIC. I tried to Google it but came up with nothing. One of the rules experts should know.

Reactions: fiddlepilot
Sure wish I’ve been saving my money but no way I’m spending five grand for the cinema version if I was a full-time photographer yes but I just do this for fun so I’ll get the cheapest version still has the same camera and the big sensor and later on I think about getting the smart controller I’m not very fond of the smart controller I have for the Mavic two, if the new controller is anything like the one I have I don’t want it so I’m finding myself lately fly my Mavic one bro there’s something still very good about that Drone after I download it to the computer, it does make it hard though because I know everybody wants the new Mavic three and they’re not making it easy for the consumer putting out the best one at five grand during these times except for the rich still looks like a very powerful little drone even if you get the least expense Version it looks like a powerhouse and one more thing what I like about my phantom for pro is that I can video 4K and take pictures without stopping the video I wonder if it will do that I doubt it I’m sure it has an electronic shutter not a mechanical shutter lock the phantom just my thoughts sorry for the long explanation guys
Really? Is it that hard to put in periods to make your comment easier to read?

Reactions: JoostGT3
Not one word about addressing the upcoming RID regulations. So that implies I’ll spend $5000, and in a couple years, I’ll have to sticky tape some RID module to the top, right next to the Arc V anti collision light. Really? 😡
Or, maybe I’m wrong, and there is planning for firmware that will address this issue. In that case, anybody want to buy some high end antique Zenith Radios from the 1930’s? 😄
My Mavic Air 2 warns me all the time when there’s manned aircraft in the area. I fly near a hospital and there’s helos in and out frequently.

Doesn't it seem like 107.3.1 (b) contradicts (a) and says RIPC or VO must have the drone in VLOS?

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

No - you have to read it more carefully. Both the RPIC and the VO must be able to see the aircraft at all times (i.e. if they looked at it). At least one of them must be exercising that ability (i.e. actually watching it) at all times. No contradiction.

My Mavic Air 2 warns me all the time when there’s manned aircraft in the area. I fly near a hospital and there’s helos in and out frequently.
That is what DJI calls Flysafe, using ADS-B (in) to give notification of surrounding aircraft. Many confuse this, but it's not the RID that was passed and will become required in near future. Currently there are no consumer drones that have RID... to my understanding.
The question many have is if current drones will have ability to add a RID module onto craft, or legally not able to utilize for practical use.

Effective Dates​

Almost all of the final rule on remote ID becomes effective April 21, 2021. The subpart covering the process for FRIA applications from community-based organizations and educational institutions becomes effective September 16, 2022.

Here are other dates of note:

• September 16, 2022:
    • Drone manufacturers must comply with the final rule's requirements for them.
  • September 16, 2023:
    • All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If we are trying to predict or analyze what DJI does it is important to understand the Chinese corporate culture. They probably hire the best bean counters the CCP could produce and so far it seems that they have done an excellent job of not only making very good profit but cornering the market. I don’t think we are ever going to guess what DJI is going to do. As an example we have been waiting for the SDK for the mini 2 for a year now which has yet to be released. DJI does what it wants when it wants as they know they have very little competition.
LOL They have great competition with themselves because DJI owners don’t see any value to justify the price increase

Reactions: thispilothere
But if Pro-rez is desired or required, files can be easily converted to Pro-Rez
"ProRes" natively recorded will be significantly better quality than any attempted up-res some other format. If you genuinely concerned about the quality of your video..

Yes, ProRes Files are huge, a minute or two can be 10GB or more.. and that requires a workstation that can manage that, which means high speed SSD's a powerful computer... Apples' new M1's are more than up to the task, but it will of course add to the cost investment. But if your a professional, one that gets paid big $$ for their work, its not going to matter.. they'll spend it.

I do understand the complexity in cost and development, but I certainly feel DJI is taking advantage of loyal DJI customers that are willing to pay more than what they paid for the previous generation. Also, I feel like we all have been conditioned that the MSRP's for a lot of this equipment is perfectly fine. Wouldn't it have been fine to sell an upgraded camera for the Mavic 2 Pro?
You must also realize that right now, costs of everything are going up because of shortages and supply chain issues, plus DJI seems to be about the only game in town, competitor drones seem to also be in short supply and that also makes the cost of things go up.. Course once your conditioned, its not going to go back down either, that would only happen if sales were to completely stall.. Which could happen...

There is a lot of new tech in the Mavic 3, if I were going to throw rocks at DJI right now, it would be for probably shipping an incomplete drone, with many reviews noting the lack of some features that will come "later" with a firmware update. Course they are not the only ones that do this Apple and others also over-promise and under-deliver and you wait weeks or months for the MIA features.

It's like they are pushing new products to clients not by making them better, but via planned obsolescence + gimmickey upgrades.

I would buy the M3 only at half the price it is now.
In reality, there is no such thing (IMHO) as planned obsolescence, technology is always moving forward and improving, there are slews of things that they could do to make drones better... sensors can still improve, cameras can always get better. Performance could improve and if they gave all that to you in one shot, you'd be doing the same thing you are now, complaining... because such a drone would be very expensive, and somewhere down the road, they'd perhaps find more ways to make it better, just as they do now.

The base price of the Mavic 3 might have wiggle room maybe, the Fly more seems higher than it should be perhaps... But companies are not in business to give things away and not make a profit. you would probably be surprised how much analysis goes into pricing, what the market will bear, they have all the sales data, and they probably even track re-sales where they can..

We'll see if anything changes and if it goes on sale anywhere in 2022 for a significant discount.

Oh, but there is. It's called managed lifecycle, and used to ensure your clients do upgrade often. The apple batterygate being a good example of it. Also, every time a feature gets pushed as an update but only to new products despite old products being able to support it as well. E.g. the old smart controller being made incompatible with the M3 despite it being a stripped down android device + software-defined radio.

Reactions: thispilothere
Oh, but there is. It's called managed lifecycle, and used to ensure your clients do upgrade often. The apple batterygate being a good example of it. Also, every time a feature gets pushed as an update but only to new products despite old products being able to support it as well. E.g. the old smart controller being made incompatible with the M3 despite it being a stripped down android device + software-defined radio.
Apple battery gate was an overblown issue.. Apple tried to extend the useful life of a battery in an iphone by managing processor power.. the "biggest" error Apple made was that they didn't announce that "up front" what they were doing. The fix was far better than just having the device shut down when processor demand exceeded the batteries capabilities, all they had to do was "clearly" announce what they were doing and it would have been no big deal. But..... they didn't .

Otherwise, when ones iphone merely just kept turning off when you stressed it, your option would have been to replace the battery which you would have had to do at the prevailing cost. The fix actually extending that life of that dying battery, which of course batteries do, they have a limited life span..

We are in an inflationary cycle…prices and Logistics are just nuts. Covid, Politics, and stupidity have damaged reality. I don’t know how much the M3 might have cost without all the craziness, but it would have cost more. And DJI probably did raise the price expecting sales volume to hold down margins...and they have to make money or shut down.

I’m just guessing, but I think around $500 to $700 of the price increase is due to the economic craziness that came along with the Pandemic and squirrelly World politics.

We are in an inflationary cycle…prices and Logistics are just nuts. Covid, Politics, and stupidity have damaged reality. I don’t know how much the M3 might have cost without all the craziness, but it would have cost more. And DJI probably did raise the price expecting sales volume to hold down margins...and they have to make money or shut down.

I’m just guessing, but I think around $500 to $700 of the price increase is due to the economic craziness that came along with the Pandemic and squirrelly World politics.
I agree, I am not sure whether I'd go quite that high, I think more like $3-500... but its anyone's guess..

No - you have to read it more carefully. Both the RPIC and the VO must be able to see the aircraft at all times (i.e. if they looked at it). At least one of them must be exercising that ability (i.e. actually watching it) at all times. No contradiction.
I can see that. But we may be reading more into it than the authors wrote into it. In any case, (a) appears to rule out relying VOs beyond the RPIC's line of sight, which was what prompted this.

I can see that. But we may be reading more into it than the authors wrote into it. In any case, (a) appears to rule out relying VOs beyond the RPIC's line of sight, which was what prompted this.
It is not reading more into it than they intended - it is exactly what they intended. And it certainly does rule out relying on VOs beyond the RPICs VLOS.

I'm a day late, you know the rest.

My opinion is I think the Mavic 3 is pretty awesome. Would I like it to be $1700? Yes. But you are getting a Zoom and a Pro in one drone compared to having to choose like on the 2 series. Its been heavily updated and the reviews on its obstacle avoidance put it in the same league as Skydio and Evo 2.

Poor Parrot came out with their mapping drone Anafi AI with LTE connectivity, only to have DJI come out with a better camera on the Mavic 2 and the option to add LTE and I would wager costs less than Anafi AI.

Am I getting one? Not at this moment, as my current fleet does what I need it to do. I just love the progress that is happening across all drones as this only pressures the competition to improve their game.

To all who bought one, share those pics and vids please.

You won't save any money going for the evo
The cost of $3-6k with value isn’t unacceptable. I’d consider $5-10k for an modern Inspire 3 with a fully functional MFT / FF camera & lenses over $5k for a fixed limited MFT single payload M3.

EVO3 is an unknown for now… minimal rumors… may be worth the wait before decision... maybe by that time the M3‘s FW and features are completed. The EVO2 Enterprise is an improvement over EVO2… larger motors & props, carbon arms, It may be closer to the EVO3. The increase in props & power may suggest additional payloads beyond the current 4. One possible is a MFT ProRes & CineDNG… recall the X5R contained the RAW with CineLite & ProRes processing, doesn’t need to be on Craft... new micro technology and CFast cards… who knows... total speculation.

Might be similar costs, but the preceived value and adaptability is currently much better for the price with EVO2 Ent. Swappable payloads, thermal (Flir sensor) option, RTK capable, and includes a large screen SC, similar FlyMore kit, GPC case, available for well under $4k.

For non-Cine version… something to consider.
The Cine M3 vs Used I2I2 still a strong option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032