DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It finally happened! 😠

Your hours of safe operation maybe yr worst enemy. I'm not up to date on the current numbers but data published by the FAA used to indicate that the most dangerous time for a student pilots (I'm talking about manned flight) was around 100 hours and in most cases they were easily preventable incidents. As a pilot I can attest to this having had a close shave at around 150hrs. The FAA concluded that pilots become overly confident; fail to complete checklists or conducted maneuvers beyond his skill level or in conditions beyond his capability.
I would expect a dangerous level of over-confidence would extend way past 100 hours but statistics don't seem to support my line of thinking.

After hundreds of hours and flights under my belt without incident, I flew high into a tree while doing a somewhat remote job for a realtor. (I have my 107) My observer stepped away for a few minutes and I was flying up the river and getting some really good video until . We located the drone on the far side of the river but it was impossibly high in the tree. I tried shooting the branch without success but, two days later, we got a significant storm and there it was, on the riverbank, soggy and totaled. Unfortunately all my work on the SD card is also destroyed but thank the Lord for Care Refresh! I should have my brand new drone in a couple days. Never say never!
its a great drone the air2s having a 107 doesn't mean you can necessarily fly the thing!

After hundreds of hours and flights under my belt without incident, I flew high into a tree while doing a somewhat remote job for a realtor. (I have my 107) My observer stepped away for a few minutes and I was flying up the river and getting some really good video until . We located the drone on the far side of the river but it was impossibly high in the tree. I tried shooting the branch without success but, two days later, we got a significant storm and there it was, on the riverbank, soggy and totaled. Unfortunately all my work on the SD card is also destroyed but thank the Lord for Care Refresh! I should have my brand new drone in a couple days. Never say never!
“shooting the branch”
????

Your hours of safe operation maybe yr worst enemy. I'm not up to date on the current numbers but data published by the FAA used to indicate that the most dangerous time for a student pilots (I'm talking about manned flight) was around 100 hours and in most cases they were easily preventable incidents. As a pilot I can attest to this having had a close shave at around 150hrs. The FAA concluded that pilots become overly confident; fail to complete checklists or conducted maneuvers beyond his skill level or in conditions beyond his capability.
I became too immersed in the great video I was getting. I should have waited for my VO to return.

This is a perfect setup for a Drone Rescue with your new Air 2S , line drop with a hook , catch a prop , bring it down , get the SD card your set.

Half the battle is just knowing where your drone is , I got faith in you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < Land on the Water , Go On Rescue Missions.

After hundreds of hours and flights under my belt without incident, I flew high into a tree while doing a somewhat remote job for a realtor.
Same scenario for me, shooting a Real Estate listing, shooting video using active track flying sideways across the front of a home. I stopped just before a tree, paused then pressed the joystick to move away from the tree and instead flew into the tree. 100 flights or more and I still need to carefully consider the orientation of the drone before choosing which way to push the stick.

Fortunately, it was an Evergreen with somewhat flexible limbs and softer long needles. I was able to climb up about 12’ and retrieve the drone. One broken prop, but I replaced all four anyway just in case.

It’s nice your situation turned out ok.

100 flights or more and I still need to carefully consider the orientation of the drone before choosing which way to push the stick.
I've been flying DJI since the Phantom 2, and I STILL consider orientation. For some reason when I'm bringing my drone in, I fly forwards to me, but then I have to turn around and back up to land. I get teased sometimes when flying with others, but it's just what I do...

I've been flying DJI since the Phantom 2, and I STILL consider orientation. For some reason when I'm bringing my drone in, I fly forwards to me, but then I have to turn around and back up to land. I get teased sometimes when flying with others, but it's just what I do...
Thanks paparazzi, and kenjancef be careful not to fly into the back of your head when landing. lol🙀

I have State Farm also but it doesn’t cover commercial jobs. I don’t want to mess with Insurance Fraud. If I was just flying for fun, it’d be SF all the way. There’s no deductible.
Careful with State Farm. I have read horror stories where folks filed a claim for their drone and ended up getting their auto and homeowners policies dropped. SF is notorious for this behavior. They cancelled my insurance after a couple comp claims. My daughter hit a deer and a window in my Jetta just exploded in the drive one day.

Yea this… I’m also a part 61, and I won’t regale my “I learned about flying from this” moment…😳

As for drones, I had my tree experience the first week. Now I clear the area by doing a quick 360 before any lateral moves, to maintain situational awareness…

I do that, too. It just makes sense. When landing precisely it is more instinctive to move the controls as if going forward, logically moving the sticks in the direction you want to move the drone. Surely we're logical doing that. I also use the optional function button to immediately look straight down as landing to be sure I'm not over my roof or a picnic table. I raise the gimbal back up as it approaches the landing spot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure