DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'It's disgusting'; surveillance shows drone flying outside woman's window at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Ah, but those sneaky Russians can hover sideways...and through threes too!

But let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that there was a drone hovering outside her window. Is it illegal (-The reporter said no)?

Yes!!! Even if the flight was in the daytime, you can't hover outside someone's window because it would be considered an invasion of privacy, which falls under local rules and regulations.

Invasion of Privacy, by definition, occurs when a "reasonable expectation of privacy" is violated. In this case, the woman was in her own home and invisible to a normal person's view from outside. She had a reasonable expectation that she could not be seen, therefore the drone pilot could be arrested and prosecuted for invasion.

Take drones out of the picture for a minute. If one neighbor wanted to install a zip line to another neighbor's house, even though the FAA controls the airspace, the middle guy could claim (-and win) a reasonable expectation of privacy lawsuit.

The news media knew all of this, but chose to sensationalize. THAT's the tragedy!

Reactions: dbaim76
You are in denial if you think perverts have not used drones to do this. If the video is real or not, you can rest assured that there are creeps out there using drones like this.
Drones are not capable of peeping in windows at night. You could do that more easily with a good handheld camera and a big zoom lens.

So YOU are in denial.

Reactions: Fedexultra
the thing that hit me beyond the elements mentioned by others here is she installed the camera JUST 24 HOURS prior.
The speed that the object crossed the camera was to my eye quite fast. In the environment of the back yard there are multiple obsticles , trees etc that simply could mot be avoided in the dark, at that altitude. Just like Big Foot many have seen one but never is there any physical evidence.
But the biggest giveaway of the fraud in this video is THE ANGLE OF THE YARD CAMERA.
Who places a camera in their yard for security and does so at what looks like an upward looking angle
This all seems to contrived.
mikemoose55

the thing that hit me beyond the elements mentioned by others here is she installed the camera JUST 24 HOURS prior.
The speed that the object crossed the camera was to my eye quite fast. In the environment of the back yard there are multiple obsticles , trees etc that simply could mot be avoided in the dark, at that altitude. Just like Big Foot many have seen one but never is there any physical evidence.
But the biggest giveaway of the fraud in this video is THE ANGLE OF THE YARD CAMERA.
Who places a camera in their yard for security and does so at what looks like an upward looking angle
mikemoose55
it's prob a lonely person looking for attention trying to cause problems for the honest ones.

I agree. I use IR trail cams for work and also home security and there are often similar artifacts. As others have said, you can see between the two inner "lights" (go to 2:01).

I sent an email to the reporter asking him to have an expert look at the video because we don't need anymore drones-are-bad stories out there, especially incorrect/false stories.

Everyone who agrees should send the reporter an email:
[email protected]
wow thanks for the link fat bastard. your right. that would be a nice drone though, ya know to fly on a angle like that.

I repeat, without woman's photo, cannot decide, if it was really"disgusting".

Well, whatever it is, it is hardly world breaking news.
Perverts and sneaky bastards are everywhere. But they would better have a 60 x optical zoom Lumix or a 85 x zoom Nikon P900. And they are way cheaper than an Mavic and don't need flying skills.
I can't recall any article or news flash about someone shooting a naked woman with full zoom from a safe distance however. Nobody would know.

I got me a Lumix FZ82 recently (for moon pictures mainly) and was shocked how easy it is to zoom in on a person on the beach behind my house, 200 meters away, and still get incredible detail. It can go all the way up to 200 x zoom with digital cropping (losing detail of course, but still, clear enough for spying). It costs only 350$ or Euro.

So all this spying on people with drones is just juicy for the media, but really, it's non-news. They should investigate the new and very affordable hand held cameras and do an item on that. Start fear mongering the world with juicy stories about sneaky Joe, filming from an apartment building across the street. That is seriously happening all over the world now.
the funny part of this is. that reporter was arrested in 2013 for exposing himself while he worked at KTRK TV. look it up

Reactions: Greg Smithski
mikemoose55

What do you mean by "contrived"? It's most unlikely that she faked this video - the much simpler explanation, for both the object in the video and the fact that it appeared the first night after she installed the camera is that it is due to light reflections in the lens/barrel or IR illumination artifacts. In other words it's probably going to be there most nights.

Questioning why she would install a camera is pointless because these things are becoming quite ubiquitous. And it makes no sense to assume that she did it to get attention because she cannot have known that it would record artifacts that she would then incorrectly identify as a drone. Also, if you watched the video, there is nothing strange about the camera angle - it's looking out across her backyard.

There's a lot of overthinking going on in this thread. She made a mistake and the TV station validated her mistake and turned it into a news story.

Drones are not capable of peeping in windows at night. You could do that more easily with a good handheld camera and a big zoom lens.

So YOU are in denial.
Sounds like we have a professional. Show me some examples of the differences. I have never tried it so your experience is welcome :D

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I've never heard of a drone that can fly and hover at such a steep angle. As someone else posted, who would attempt to fly in the dark, in such a cluttered area behind her home?

Can I also point out that her Wyze Cam in an indoor camera, not an outdoor camera? It won’t last long out there in the rain.

Last edited:
I think it's felt as an invasion of privacy because a drone can be seen as a lengthening piece of the person flying it, reaching all the way to a feet of someones window. Even if it would have the crappiest camera.

Someone with a super zoom bridge camera, from 100 yards away, while catching the finest detail, isn't.

It looks more like reflections of some car lights or something - when it crosses the trees you would expect to see the body of the drone but there is nothing visible.

I'll tell you precisely what it is. It is an IR image of a spider web (a single thread) that is blowing in the wind across the frame of the camera lens. I've seen it hundreds of times before and recognized it immediately. It is why it moves at that angle, "hovers" across the camera frame several times, and only appeared at 4 AM. The "lights" are simply drops of condensation (or globules produced by thickening of the spider thread) viewed by the lens at a relatively close distance.

Here's a video of just such an example (though this spider created the whole web and wasn't simply moving locations).

What a bunch of malarkey!! Whole lot of hibbity bibbity going on with these people and negative drone happenings. I think these people have never had the chance to experience the wonder that is a drone first hand and just put it down negatively because it's something they don't understand.

Must be registered with the FAA? Are we back to this again?

Over in South East Asia, during this month, which happens to be a "ghost" month under the lunar calender, ppl will b gossiping about that being a ghost or spirit coming to visit the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree