DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's time to cycle your batteries.

What gets it started?

This:

Yuasa Battery a worldwide leader in powersports batteries, has introduced an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery specifically designed to replace the conventional vented lead-acid batteries that come as original equipment in BMW motorcycles.

Reactions: Former Member
Reactions: 747P4
This:

Yuasa Battery a worldwide leader in powersports batteries, has introduced an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery specifically designed to replace the conventional vented lead-acid batteries that come as original equipment in BMW motorcycles.

That's still a Lead Acid Battery
I fit LifePo4 batteries to my Bikes

I don't think the charge cycle on motorcycles and cars are suitable for lipos.
They almost constantly keep a charge current on the battery.

How about hybrid cars? Not sure what type of battery they use, but they are constantly being "topped off" by regenerative braking. I wonder who will invent a hybrid motorcycle?

Reactions: mnis
How about hybrid cars? Not sure what type of battery they use, but they are constantly being "topped off" by regenerative braking. I wonder who will invent a hybrid motorcycle?

There are three major types of batteries that companies use for use in hybrid cars: lead-acid, nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) and lithium-ion (Li-ion).
My Volt uses a gas generator or extended range thingy engine plus has a Li-ion 38KVA battery with the ability to use regen power. Wish my drone had some type of hybrid battery Thumbswayup

There are three major types of batteries that companies use for use in hybrid cars: lead-acid, nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) and lithium-ion (Li-ion).
My Volt uses a gas generator or extended range thingy engine plus has a Li-ion 38KVA battery with the ability to use regen power. Wish my drone had some type of hybrid battery Thumbswayup

That new Bell human sized quad is a hybrid.

I thought the Volt was 100% electric? I knew the Leaf was... How do you like your Volt? Looks like a Camaro with 4 doors.

What if your M2P is at the bottom of a harbour? :( Do you leave the battery on the charger or take it off and let it sit to discharge on its own?

I really like Gibson's BC. Grew up watching the Beachcombers. We were there last summer and had breakfast and supper at Molly's Reach on the deck. Took some pics of the Persephone as well. Did you lose your Mavic flying off the end of the dock doing a flyby of Molly's

That new Bell human sized quad is a hybrid.

I thought the Volt was 100% electric? I knew the Leaf was... How do you like your Volt? Looks like a Camaro with 4 doors.

This my second Volt and I really like the car. I have a 2015 which was the last year of the "older" body style.
The 2016 cars don't float my boat in regard to body design (looks like other makes and models).
GM (IMHO) didn't market the car well as I get asked at the gas station "why are you putting gas in your electric vehicle". Technically the car isn't a hybrid, as once the EV is used it automatically switches to the gas generator. I think there are 3 clutches driving all the internals. 270 foot pound torque (Have to check the number) directly to the wheels in sport mode. I can even squeal the tires on launch (naughty boy).
Like most things in life there are always compromises.

I really like Gibson's BC.

Yeah the Sunshine Coast is very pretty.

Grew up watching the Beachcombers.

LOL So many of us Canadians of a certain age did! It's kinda cool living in the same town as Nick and Relic. :)

Did you lose your Mavic flying off the end of the dock doing a flyby of Molly's

I was on that dock but in the other direction, flying out in the harbour.

We go back to the Island every year, sometimes twice.
We lived in Tofino for 5 years, I had a brain fart and was stupid and took a transfer to Vanderhoof BC.

Technically any car that operates on gas and electric is a hybrid.

The Prius, which I have, uses both in combination. It can run for a short time in "EV" without the gas engine, as the traction motor is connected directly to the wheel axle, but because of how the transmission works, electric is needed to send engine power to the wheels.

Usually they don't use the entire capacity of the traction battery. 100% on the gauge isn't 100% SoC. Neither is 0%. Wasn't that way for NMHd and shouldn't be for LiPo/LIon. Even if it did, most of the time it targets 60-80% on the gauge.

A typical standard vehicle electrical charge system barely uses the battery in normal operation. The alternator provides the power, and constantly tops off the battery, with about a 1 to 2 volt deviation on the battery. That would be horrible for Lipo/LIon, unless the battery voltage is overrated and full capacity never really reached.

Reactions: mnis and 747P4
Very interesting. Looks like it's still a lead acid, but less prone to spillage.

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

Many boats use them for this exact reason (they tolerate infrequent use very well, no spillage when tipped). Emergency vehicles also use them because they are just better, require zero maintenance, and are more reliable. Some German manufacturers have been using them for years, which is why the battery might be $150 instead of $80. Our boat would always start up first go after winter storage.

I always replace my car battery with an AGM and along with synthetic oil it starts up like a hot summer day even at -20C without a block heater and even after being left unused for long periods of time.

Reactions: 747P4
If you love your drone, and it has been sitting on a shelf for a while because it's too cold, rainy, windy, or you are a bear and have hibernated for the winter, it's time to do your monthly cycle on your batteries.

Lipos dont like to be left unattended for long periods of time. No, they dont get lonely, they just like some attention in the form of being used. If you cant fly, then simply charge the battery up to 100%, and either hover it down to 50% or lower, or the less desired method is to let it sit on a table with the props off until the battery drains down, which could take a while.

If you leave your batteries all winter and dont take care of them, dont expect them to be their lively selves again in the spring. You might be looking at replacing one or more if you let the voltage get too low.

A word to the wise, and I hope everyone is having a good new year.

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart

Very sound advice here, thanks for sharing!

Just noticed your slogan at the bottom, ;)

I have not used my Mavic 2 for 14 days due to flu and very cold weather. I have 4 batteries, and they should have discharge themself now to 70%.

I should not leave them like that? Charge them all up again and get them under 50%? What is best?

...How would you hook that up without the battery being in the drone?...
the battery adapter from the MP FMC has a standard USB port on it.
Anyone else use their Mavic battery to charge a device?
One time I forgot to charge my RC and on the third MP battery flight the RC started beeping a low-battery warning. I plugged in one of my spent MP batteries into the left port on the RC and it provided enough power to silence the beeping and allowed me to finish flying.

I have not used my Mavic 2 for 14 days due to flu and very cold weather. I have 4 batteries, and they should have discharge themself now to 70%.

I should not leave them like that? Charge them all up again and get them under 50%? What is best?

I would assume that the batteries are in storage mode at approximately 50% charge. What I normally do every month is charge the batteries and then leave them to auto discharge, which is set for each individual battery in the DJIGo app. The batteries in discharge mode may feel warm and that is normal. What isn't normal is if you see signs of the battery casing swelling. In this case the battery may be damaged so take care and remove from the home and seek guidance to dispose of battery properly. Some folks use ammo cases to store the batteries in a garage.Having some Lipo battery sleeves for travel is also a great idea.
Lastly, I do not leave the batteries inside carry cases be it soft or hard in design. Leave the batteries at room temperature on a surface such as a marble kitchen top.

If you love your drone, and it has been sitting on a shelf for a while because it's too cold, rainy, windy, or you are a bear and have hibernated for the winter, it's time to do your monthly cycle on your batteries.

Lipos dont like to be left unattended for long periods of time. No, they dont get lonely, they just like some attention in the form of being used. If you cant fly, then simply charge the battery up to 100%, and either hover it down to 50% or lower, or the less desired method is to let it sit on a table with the props off until the battery drains down, which could take a while.

If you leave your batteries all winter and dont take care of them, dont expect them to be their lively selves again in the spring. You might be looking at replacing one or more if you let the voltage get too low.

A word to the wise, and I hope everyone is having a good new year.

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart

Rob, your maintenance Tips and Reminders are really good. You just request a Moderator make a new forum for them " Maintenance Tips and Reminders". They would be much easier to find again when needed.

They'll be fine. Rob was referring to some that might not be flying for a few months.
If you haven't used them in 30 days, check them. If they are down to on blinking LED, charge them to full, then bring them down to 50%, or let them come down 10 days later.

The LED pattern can be deceiving on the Mavic. The Phantom 3 seemed more linear, especially during charging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143