DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's time to cycle your batteries.

Former Member

Reactions
If you love your drone, and it has been sitting on a shelf for a while because it's too cold, rainy, windy, or you are a bear and have hibernated for the winter, it's time to do your monthly cycle on your batteries.

Lipos dont like to be left unattended for long periods of time. No, they dont get lonely, they just like some attention in the form of being used. If you cant fly, then simply charge the battery up to 100%, and either hover it down to 50% or lower, or the less desired method is to let it sit on a table with the props off until the battery drains down, which could take a while.

If you leave your batteries all winter and dont take care of them, dont expect them to be their lively selves again in the spring. You might be looking at replacing one or more if you let the voltage get too low.

A word to the wise, and I hope everyone is having a good new year.

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart

Thanks for the info Rob;) I try and get out as much as possible flying in the winter months just to keep on top of my batteries. I can only fly in the cold with one batt, next day I’ll use another and so on. Keeps my flying skill in good shape through the winter plus gives my batteries some loving;)

If you love your drone, and it has been sitting on a shelf for a while because it's too cold, rainy, windy, or you are a bear and have hibernated for the winter, it's time to do your monthly cycle on your batteries.

Lipos dont like to be left unattended for long periods of time. No, they dont get lonely, they just like some attention in the form of being used. If you cant fly, then simply charge the battery up to 100%, and either hover it down to 50% or lower, or the less desired method is to let it sit on a table with the props off until the battery drains down, which could take a while.

If you leave your batteries all winter and dont take care of them, dont expect them to be their lively selves again in the spring. You might be looking at replacing one or more if you let the voltage get too low.

A word to the wise, and I hope everyone is having a good new year.

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart

Thanks for the friendly advise Rob, good thing to know.

Reactions: Former Member
If you cant fly, then simply charge the battery up to 100%, and either hover it down to 50% or lower, or the less desired method is to let it sit on a table with the props off until the battery drains down, which could take a while.

What if your M2P is at the bottom of a harbour? :( Do you leave the battery on the charger or take it off and let it sit to discharge on its own?

Or use the batteries to charge your phone or table etc. and recharge them again.

Great idea!!!! Im a dummy. How would you hook that up without the battery being in the drone? I might just ditch my power brick and carry around an M2 battery in my pocket. lol

Alot depends on whether or not the harbour has water in it. If it has water, remove battery from charger immediately.
LOL Fine. I'll be more clear.

My *other* M2P battery is now sitting all alone on the charger, waiting to see if it will ever get matched up with an M2P ever again. In the meantime, what should I do to extend its battery life?

LOL Fine. I'll be more clear.

My *other* M2P battery is now sitting all alone on the charger, waiting to see if it will ever get matched up with an M2P ever again. In the meantime, what should I do to extend its battery life?

You dont really have to do anything except take it off the charger. It's automatically set to discharge down to storage in 10 days.

I would press the power button on it every few weeks to make sure you have at least 2 lights on.

Hope you find your drowned bird.

Reactions: mnis
You dont really have to do anything except take it off the charger.

Ah! Got it. I thought it might be like my motorcycle battery and trickle charge.

Hope you find your drowned bird.

I don't hold out much hope for that. I'm relying on DJI to "do the right thing" and replace it. Fingers crossed.

Ah! Got it. I thought it might be like my motorcycle battery and trickle charge.
I don't hold out much hope for that. I'm relying on DJI to "do the right thing" and replace it. Fingers crossed.

Yes, those Motorcycle lead acid batteries needed trickle charges, but these lipos hate been trickled (like some women I once knew).

Took the advice and charged all my batteries and went flying in the cold weather. Kept the batteries warm in my pocket.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne