DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

J000 vs PH000 for Mini 4 Pro ?

AeroJ

Reactions
Have seen a couple of vaguely click-baity / alarmist videos pointing out that the screwdriver supplied with the M4P is a PH000 and not the J000 they actually require. My questions are:

1. Does anyone here use the supplied screwdriver for prop changes, and if so, do the rounded corners of a PH000 strip the screws before you can exert enough pressure to break the threadlock and remove them ? If that is the case I am perplexed why DJI (who must have been told about this) haven't changed what they supply to the right thing by now !

2. Where can I get a J000 screwdriver in the UK ? - places like Amazon only seem to have them in the largest and most expensive of multi-bit sets, and even on ebay (UK) I struggle to find one that will ship here for less than 20 quid, which seems... excessive for tiny screwdriver !

I had to change a prop last month and used the supplied screwdriver without a problem. You do get a set of screws with the new prop and I had no issues tightening them up

Reactions: AeroJ
Thank you. That makes me wonder if they maybe did change the supplied screwdriver since those videos were made.
Even with reading glasses AND a magnifying glass I am unable to tell if mine has the rounded corners that betray a PH000. I haven't had to do a prop change yet, but I guess I will find out when that becomes necessary. Whilst it's great that new props come with new screws (which I think is threadlock thing) I am obviously very keen to avoid rounding out the current screws as I try to remove them, leaving them jammed in there, which I imagine is something of a nightmare to solve !

I bought a mini Philips screw driver set , much better
Er... well you say that, but if it's Phillips it's technically wrong ! Those screws are J000, which is a straight cross. Phillips bits have rounded inner corners, which can apparently lead to rounding out of the sockets as you try and break the threadlock seal on the old screw...

Still, interesting that ph ones have apparently worked for you ! They obviously don't fail every time ! I appreciate that the expectation is that those screws will be used 'once in and once out' and then it's new screw time, so perhaps it doesn't matter that much after all !

If stripping the screw head is your concern then I'd say rather stick to the weeny OEM screwdriver supplied by DJI. A screwdriver with more grip/leverage is more likely to strip a tiny screw head, regardless PH or J.
I have been using DJI prop screwdrivers on all my Minis, including the 4 Pro for years without a single problem, and in addition on other things around the house, including little eyeglass screws.
If ever I encounter a stuck prop screw, plan B would be gentle warming it with a soldering iron tip to soften the Loctite bond. (Not a ham-fisted operation that'll strip Philips heads :) )

Some people have had problems with the included screwdriver. I haven't across mini 2, 3, and 4. Changed blades quite a few times.

From what I can posit, the key is having a very firm grip on the bell so it doesn't move at all, and being careful and slow loosening the blue locktite.

Reactions: AeroJ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rufusbird2