DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello Effect - Wavy Video

Emsflyer84

Reactions
Old topic here, I know, but I can't seem to find one good answer or solution. I'm getting the wavy video feed that many have complained about in previous posts on this and many other forums. The unit is a 1 month old MPP. It doesn't happen all the time. I've updated firmware, calibrated IMU, calibrated gimbal, reset all camera settings, and it still happens. Here is a link to an example video:

2017_12_15_13_09_39.MP4

Any thoughts on this, or how to take care of it? I'll probably have to send it in I'm sure, but just looking for some other opinions. Thanks!

Is there any damage to your props? Many times with unbalanced props you'll see some Jello, maybe swap them out and see if it gets better.

No there isn't any damage. I can try to swap them anyway, but I've never had a crash or collision of any kind.

That's pretty extreme. I traded mine in for another with a lot less effect than seen in your video.

I noticed I had some waves in video last Friday. About 10-12 mph winds I was fighting. My guess was the wind bucking the gimbal.

Wind hasn't really been a factor in the videos I've been seeing this on. I did some calibrating and re-flashing of the firmware last night. I'll try again today and see what happens.

Could it be your camera settings? Try manual and set the shutter speed to twice the frame rate. Shutter should be 60 if you're shooting at 30fps or 50 if you're shooting at 24fps.

I just spoke with DJI customer service and they rommend I lower the camera settings from 4k to 1080. I don't really think that's a good solution but I'll try it and see what happens. Here is a link to another video with the same issue while the drone is sitting on the ground with the motors off.

Dropbox - Video Dec 19, 12 52 20 PM.mp4

I just spoke with DJI customer service and they rommend I lower the camera settings from 4k to 1080. I don't really think that's a good solution but I'll try it and see what happens. Here is a link to another video with the same issue while the drone is sitting on the ground with the motors off.

Dropbox - Video Dec 19, 12 52 20 PM.mp4
No offence to you at all...you know that's bad advice. Why use lower setting than optimal? Bet it won't make a difference.

What camera settings are you using?

If you have auto settings it's going to prioritize exposure and throw off the shutter speed. Set it to manual and set the shutter to 25 or 30...that should get rid of the jello but the image may be over exposed and washed out. That's where ND filters come into play.

Old topic here, I know, but I can't seem to find one good answer or solution. I'm getting the wavy video feed that many have complained about in previous posts on this and many other forums. The unit is a 1 month old MPP. It doesn't happen all the time. I've updated firmware, calibrated IMU, calibrated gimbal, reset all camera settings, and it still happens. Here is a link to an example video:

2017_12_15_13_09_39.MP4

Any thoughts on this, or how to take care of it? I'll probably have to send it in I'm sure, but just looking for some other opinions. Thanks!
I think you've tried everything.

Looks like your going to need to send it in for repair.

Well guys, I did what DJI suggested and still had bad jello effect on all camera settings.

Then I installed my ND32 polar pro filter, and the shaking immediately stopped. I’ve now done a full flight with the ND32 and a full flight with the ND16 filters with no jello effect at all. Shooting now at 4k, 30fps.

I don’t know if it’s the change in camera settings with the filters on, or the physical weight of the filter on the gimbal that’s having some effect, but it seems to be working either way. Will try some more flight and keep you posted. Thanks for all the reply’s!

Reactions: Callum
Are you using leg extenders? I noticed I had same effect when I had extenders attached, completely disappeared when I removed them.

Well guys, I did what DJI suggested and still had bad jello effect on all camera settings.

Then I installed my ND32 polar pro filter, and the shaking immediately stopped. I’ve now done a full flight with the ND32 and a full flight with the ND16 filters with no jello effect at all. Shooting now at 4k, 30fps.

I don’t know if it’s the change in camera settings with the filters on, or the physical weight of the filter on the gimbal that’s having some effect, but it seems to be working either way. Will try some more flight and keep you posted. Thanks for all the reply’s!
That's good you got it working, extra weight on gimbal must be damping it.

I'd be wary it gets worse, just keep an eye on it and long term you might want to think about getting it repaired before warranty is up.

I had the same problem. Just do what they ask you to do, and exhaust all solutions. Then they'll say that the drone is eligible for repair under warranty. You won't have you use Care Refresh. They'll just swap it out for a new/refurb one. That's what happened to me.

Any updates? I got to fly my MPP for the first time yesterday, and was happy as a clam until I watched the video. The Jello is way worse than in the video you posted. It was about 25 degrees F, mostly cloudy, with a breeze of 2-8 mph and snow on the ground. I don't have any ND filters, but after shooting in automatic initially, I tried fiddling with the shutter speed but the Jello remained. Tried 4k and 1080p, no difference.
The Mavic had been sitting in the box waiting for Christmas, so I'm nearing the end of the Amazon return period. I contacted them this morning and a new one will be here next week. I'll order some ND filters too. If the new one does the same thing, but bringing down the shutter speed with filters seems to fix it, should I keep it?

Any updates? I got to fly my MPP for the first time yesterday, and was happy as a clam until I watched the video. The Jello is way worse than in the video you posted. It was about 25 degrees F, mostly cloudy, with a breeze of 2-8 mph and snow on the ground. I don't have any ND filters, but after shooting in automatic initially, I tried fiddling with the shutter speed but the Jello remained. Tried 4k and 1080p, no difference.
The Mavic had been sitting in the box waiting for Christmas, so I'm nearing the end of the Amazon return period. I contacted them this morning and a new one will be here next week. I'll order some ND filters too. If the new one does the same thing, but bringing down the shutter speed with filters seems to fix it, should I keep it?
You'd be incredibly unlucky if the new one did same thing. I wouldn't keep it unless it operates as it should without filters.

Can't beat Amazon return policy. Hopefully your replacement is spot on.

Reactions: RolandW
You'd be incredibly unlucky if the new one did same thing. I wouldn't keep it unless it operates as it should without filters.

Yep, I love Amazon. I had been kicking myself for not ordering from DJI, since they don't charge sales tax and Amazon does, but now I'm glad I went the "Big Smile" route.
Thank you for the advice!

Update: No Jello with the new Mavic! :)

Reactions: Callum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki