DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jelly effect after Gimbal repair

robertdz

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I recently crashed my mavic - flying indoors and it flew into a wall at slow speed and fell onto tiles.

The gimbal ribbon snapped so I purchased a new ribbon, purchased a new vibration board and fixed it all up, gimbal calibration done and the baby is happy... well... almost

When the drone is moving i.e. flying forward, backward, sideways etc all is perfect... however when its in hover and the gimbal is at 45 degrees then there is a jelly effect.. when its facing completely forward or completely down there is no jelly..

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Yeah its very similar to that... but here is something interesting... I was tinkering with the ribbon cables around the gimbal pushing them away so that the gimbal can move easier and now the jelly effect seems to have gone away..

Not sure, but it probably is a resonance effect having to do with tension on the gimbal ribbon. It's also possible that one or more of your props got nicked in the crash, and they are out of balance.

I replaced all 4 of the props to be on the safe side after the crash so know its not the props being out of balance.

Jello Effect is caused when the rolling shutter of the camera and vibrations in the camera mount are combined.
Since the crash a different vibration has started causing the effect.

Make sure all four corners of the gimbal platform are hanging freely on their "rubber bands", and that it is not touching the body of the Mavic.

that makes perfect sense Enigma, i'll continue in my quest in finding the new vibration should the jello effect return. As mentioned before, I have found that the ribbon cable when the gimbal is at a certain angle touches a part of the body which causes the additional vibration resulting in jello - when moving the cable around away from the body it has "cured" the jello I was experiencing.

that makes perfect sense Enigma, i'll continue in my quest in finding the new vibration should the jello effect return. As mentioned before, I have found that the ribbon cable when the gimbal is at a certain angle touches a part of the body which causes the additional vibration resulting in jello - when moving the cable around away from the body it has "cured" the jello I was experiencing.
Compare each mechanical part to a original brand new part. Look for very small differences, the smallest difference could cause a resonance frequency.

Please post any further results, if you find a permanent solution, ie moving the cable to a different location, and how you did that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78