DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

jerky 4k video in iMovie and Quicktime

NorthShoreAbove

Reactions
I am filming in 4k (both 60fps and 30fps) using .mov format H265

I have transferred the video from MicroSD on to my desktop and then imported from there to either QT or iMovie. Both of them play the video back in a very jerky or happy motion.

any suggestions appreciated

OS is 10.14 Mojave

iMovie 10.1

late 2015 iMac

Intel Core i5

8 gig memory

I have transferred the video from MicroSD on to my desktop and then imported from there to either QT or iMovie. Both of them play the video back in a very jerky or happy motion.

OS is 10.14 Mojave

iMovie 10.1

late 2015 iMac

Intel Core i5

8 gig memory

New computer , new processor is the only answer for 4K .
You can try Final Cut X and use some fancy rendering methods but the results our going to be poor.

4k demands some heavy processing power as well as 8K , you need to up your game with 4K or just fly 1080 .

Reactions: dawgpilot and ven
I have the same approximate vintage MacBook Pro with 16Gb ram and the dual video setup, i7 quad core, etc.. Everything done in H.264 comes out just fine, albeit a little slow. I basically use proxy media on the h.265 stuff in FCP and let it sit whilst I do something else on the final render. So it is possible, but I am now considering a desktop with more muscle. I also have a windows system for my audio work, I have Vegas in that one, but my studio is in boxes currently.

However it does annoy me that DJI has deemed h.265 only for higher than 30 frame rates, this is arbritary on their part, h.264 will work fine in those rates also. I am nagging them for that option. Chances may be slim however.

I have pretty much same spec imac, as said its not enough! However , you can still upload to youtube and it will sort out. Or unfortunately take the 60fps hit to 30fps and use h264. If you have a 4k TV, you can always watch that way via youtube app as an example.

Reactions: dawgpilot

OS is 10.14 Mojave

iMovie 10.1

late 2015 iMac

Intel Core i5

8 gig memory
Yep that’s what I had but then I upgraded to MacBook Pro 32 GB memory, 2.9 GHz core I nine processor. Cuts through 4K like butter but are usually render in 264 but it will do it in 265

Given the advice everyone helpfully posted, I found two solutions...one, Handbrake to downgrade existing 4k to 1080p (which my old iMac can handle)...and two, I will record in 1080p going forward (am a consumer not a professional). Thanks again to those that replied!

Given the advice everyone helpfully posted, I found two solutions...one, Handbrake to downgrade existing 4k to 1080p (which my old iMac can handle)...and two, I will record in 1080p going forward (am a consumer not a professional). Thanks again to those that replied!
You can still use 4k 30fps, just use the codec H264 instead. Thats what i am doing, makes no odds for me personally and most potential viewers(youtube to name 1) more than likely wont even have 4k or it will buffer endlessly. For my use, pointless dropping £3k just to play 4k 60 on this air 2.

You can still use 4k 30fps, just use the codec H264 instead. Thats what i am doing, makes no odds for me personally and most potential viewers(youtube to name 1) more than likely wont even have 4k or it will buffer endlessly. For my use, pointless dropping £3k just to play 4k 60 on this air 2.
you have to use Google Chrome to present in 4K and sometimes it still won’t go above 1080 P

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143