DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Joshua Tree Park

Rabber

Reactions
Ok, before anybody gets bent; read this:

1. 90% of this video was filmed miles from anything.

2. Drones are not allowed in Natl. parks because they disturb wildlife and tourists....None of which anywhere close (or far)in this video.

3. Park rangers have enforcement discretion....I was given permission as long as I was not near tourists and 500 yards from any road.

Enjoy

Last edited:
I wanted to see it! I was just there on Sunday and never thought about flying? Rules, rules, rules. . . . .

Reactions: tlswift58
Ok, before anybody gets bent; read this:

1. 90% of this video was filmed miles from anything.

2. Drones are not allowed in Natl. parks because they disturb wildlife and tourists....None of which anywhere close (or far)in this video.

3. Park rangers have enforcement discretion....I was given permission as long as I was not near tourists and 500 yards from any road.

Enjoy

That's terrific. Did you have to use Jedi master persuasive powers to get permission? Or was the Park ranger happy to accommodate your request?

I imagine you were thrilled to be able to fly in such a wonderful setting; thanks for sharing (and giving some hope as I will retire out west in a couple of years and would enjoy filming in the parks if viable).

Reactions: tlswift58
Enjoyable to watch. Keep ‘em coming. A few tips: soften up your gimbal and yaw settings, avoid quick directional changes or cut them out in post. Pano’s work a lot better with forward or backward movement, with very slow horizontal move as panos generate blur and disturb viewer focus (use POI together with forward/backward). Smooth and deliberate use of gimbal will create the most drama. Many of the best moves are combination of gimbal, left and right joysticks, but you have to soften up the yaw and gimbal. Mix up composition. Use the straight down shot. Fly closer to features. Practice broad sweeping, controlled arcs following landforms. Stick with one transition.

Enjoyable to watch. Keep ‘em coming. A few tips: soften up your gimbal and yaw settings, avoid quick directional changes or cut them out in post. Pano’s work a lot better with forward or backward movement, with very slow horizontal move as panos generate blur and disturb viewer focus (use POI together with forward/backward). Smooth and deliberate use of gimbal will create the most drama. Many of the best moves are combination of gimbal, left and right joysticks, but you have to soften up the yaw and gimbal. Mix up composition. Use the straight down shot. Fly closer to features. Practice broad sweeping, controlled arcs following landforms. Stick with one transition.
Thanks for the advice. I totally agree with what you said. This was my first video. Some of the scenes, the beauty of the terrain did not translate into video. I like the different transitions.

That's terrific. Did you have to use Jedi master persuasive powers to get permission? Or was the Park ranger happy to accommodate your request?

I imagine you were thrilled to be able to fly in such a wonderful setting; thanks for sharing (and giving some hope as I will retire out west in a couple of years and would enjoy filming in the parks if viable).
If you ask nice and are in an area with no tourists or much animal life ( Joshua tree is 1200 sq miles of desert) and you show them your tiny drone and how you can't hear it past 100 feet, she was fine. Rangers have discretion about enforcement. She could have just as easily told me no drones period.

Thanks for the advice. I totally agree with what you said. This was my first video. Some of the scenes, the beauty of the terrain did not translate into video. I like the different transitions.
The beauty and drama of the terrain would be better represented with shot variety. Beginners often fly too high most of the time, which doesn't create much drama. Get lower and fly closer to prominent features to achieve parallax effect and occasionally use gimbal tilt as you pass over unique features. Gimbal tilt is best accomplished by increasing elevation as you tilt down and vice-versa. Maintain visual axis from the center point of gimbal rotation. One example is to maintain horizon line while tilting gimbal. Easier to accomplish when accompanied by elevation change. Another idea is 'over the edge of cliff' (Thelma & Louise) shot which is accomplished by increase elevation, slowing forward travel, and tilting gimbal down as you pass over the cliff edge.

In time, you'll learn to use combination inputs with gimbal tilt to dramatic effect. Using POI allows you to use right stick to move towards/away from a feature and left for elevation changes without worrying about keeping the subject area centered in frame. It's a super easy way to create dramatic sweeping panos. Select a POI in the far distance for more gentle turn/rotation.

One of my rules is... when in doubt, fly straight forward/back and avoid course corrections (yaw), which necessitates cutting entire segments following/preceding. Even flights where there's a clear directional line (road, pier, trail, etc.) it looks better to continue straight flight. If you feel the need to course correct, fly 6-8 seconds before doing so. Straight flights that cross lines at and acute angle often look better than following the line precisely.

Cinematic moves and gimbal tilts will be much smoother once you've softened up the EXP, rudder and gimbal settings.

Last edited:
The beauty and drama of the terrain would be better represented with shot variety. Beginners often fly too high most of the time, which doesn't create much drama. Get lower and fly closer to prominent features to achieve parallax effect and occasionally use gimbal tilt as you pass over unique features. Gimbal tilt is best accomplished by increasing elevation as you tilt down and vice-versa. Maintain visual axis from the center point of gimbal rotation. One example is to maintain horizon line while tilting gimbal. Easier to accomplish when accompanied by elevation change. Another idea is 'over the edge of cliff' (Thelma & Louise) shot which is accomplished by increase elevation, slowing forward travel, and tilting gimbal down as you pass over the cliff edge.

In time, you'll learn to use combination inputs with gimbal tilt to dramatic effect. Using POI allows you to use right stick to move towards/away from a feature and left for elevation changes without worrying about keeping the subject area centered in frame. It's a super easy way to create dramatic sweeping panos. Select a POI in the far distance for more gentle turn/rotation.

One of my rules is... when in doubt, fly straight forward/back and avoid course corrections (yaw), which necessitates cutting entire segments following/preceding. Even flights where there's a clear directional line (road, pier, trail, etc.) it looks better to continue straight flight. If you feel the need to course correct, fly 6-8 seconds before doing so. Straight flights that cross lines at and acute angle often look better than following the line precisely.

Cinematic moves and gimbal tilts will be much smoother once you've softened up the EXP, rudder and gimbal settings.
How do I soften EXP, rudder and gimble? POI just keeps subject in the center while I move about?

How do I soften EXP, rudder and gimble? POI just keeps subject in the center while I move about?
What drone are you flying? Menus are a bit different between apps/drones, but they all allow you to make adjustments to sensitivity and such. I'll guess perhaps you're using the new Mavic Mini 2, see this YouTube

Using Intelligent modes for POI, when you draw the box on the screen, it does reposition the POI you selected in the center of screen where it remains while it circles the POI (after you press GO). You can adjust the speed and CW/CCW direction of the circle at any time during the POI. You're able to use the right stick to move forward and back and left stick to ascend and descend. Some stick/gimbal inputs however may be disabled during POI or may cancel the POI action.

POI is my most used intelligent mode as it's complicated to do manually with consistency in speed and direction. As your skills advance, you can practice moves similar to POI, but with more freedom to drift off subject or tilt gimbal.

I can appreciate you got a new drone and rushed out to an epic destination to test it out. I'm not gonna tell you to 'read the manual', which you probably did, but didn't completely absorb. We're all anxious to fly our new drones, but it's important to adjust your camera and drone settings prior to visiting your epic destination. Otherwise you get back home and realize you had a lot of issues with your footage and photos unsure how to resolve them.

As others have mentioned re: National Parks and rangers, they'll probably give you erroneous information and say you can't fly over NP's. Best to research on this forum where and how you can fly legally near or over NP's. Personally, I'm not gonna alert local park authorities in advance. Know the rules before you go and launch/land from a legal location away from people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78