DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just curious. Has the sudden loss of GPS mode been resolved

Annevanzwol

Reactions
last night I read some troubling posts about people suddenly loosing GPS mode despite having like 15 satellites. Has this issue been resolved in the latest firmware?

You have to remember that the count of satellites does not determine whether gps mode is available or not. GPS health determines the mode and it is a measure of gps signal quality. The count of sats is just one factor in gps health. GPS health has a range of 0 to 5, and a value of 4 or 5 is required for GPS mode. I suspect that the firmware update included a revision of the algorithm that determines gps health.

I never have seen it happen with my Mavic. I guess not GPS will be lost but the IMU will get into confusion if the compass tells something else than computed by the IMU based on GPS. Then it seems to just switch GPS logically off to avoid a TBE and falls into Atti mode instead.
That may be the chance form December, 26th, as before there where much more reports of TBE than recently.
So the best thing you can do to prevent GPS loss is ensuring a valid compass calibration. Do it at least once for your new Mavic at a wide and open field, far away from other metallic of electric components which can influence calibration.

Reactions: Merlin23
I experience for the first time my MP going into ATTI mode from cinematic mode last Friday. It went from slowly hovering up to an 18mph drift away from me. It was shocking because I typically have well over 15 satellites and at the time it showed 17 satellites. During the drift the RC controls weren't working. Luckily the MAP was maybe 20ft up and 100ft. out so I was able to land it. I've been practicing in this field for a few days now and only calibrated the compass the first time. Should I calibrate everyday? Definitely nervous to fly it again.

sent from mobile device

I
So the best thing you can do to prevent GPS loss is ensuring a valid compass calibration. Do it at least once for your new Mavic at a wide and open field, far away from other metallic of electric components which can influence calibration.

GerdS not to contradict you but I have only done one calibration ever. It was just before my first flight in a wide open field that is far from anything man made. I have flown 35 fairly long flights since then and I have done 3 RTH tests and under every instance it came down within 2-3 inches of the take off point. I have had no GPS problems. If I power up my mavic inside the house or by the car it has a compass error. I ignore that because I know it's not valid. The minute I go out into a wide open area the unit powers up fine without any compass errors.

I learned this the hard way by using Astronomy programs on my iPhone. I run the app inside my house and it tells me the compass needs calibration. I calibrate it and then when I go outside I cannot find any of the stars by pointing the phone at them. I was puzzled at first and then I shutdown the app and on restart it asked me to calibrate the compass. I did that and suddenly everything lined up perfectly. I move back into the house and I get compass error once again.

So now I just calibrate once when I am in the best possible location and don't mess with it unless I am traveling several hundred miles.

Rob

My second mavic came with new firmware(cant dl yet) and it worked really nice, no single gps atti drop between 2 days.. i downgraded firmware and yeah, problems again with gps :/ Maybe my third bird is perfect :D

GPS is what makes drone a drone. There should a compass heading readout on screen to help when flying in attitude mode.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

GerdS not to contradict you but I have only done one calibration ever. It was just before my first flight in a wide open field that is far from anything man made. ... If I power up my mavic inside the house or by the car it has a compass error. I ignore that because I know it's not valid. The minute I go out into a wide open area the unit powers up fine without any compass errors.
I fully agree with you. Just do it once the right way prior to your first flight after delivery and then only if either your location has changed for more than 100 miles or so, or if the GO app requests for it, or if you are aware that your Mavic has been near to any strong magnetic field, e.g. the loudspeaker within your car.

Ive had it drop twice in the first week of owning my new mavic. It has been my biggest frustration with the drone along with some other little qwerks

Happened to me yesterday for maybe 2 seconds. Got the beep, atti mode, looked at controller and by the time I noticed any drifting it was back into gps. Sats and signal strength both were good.

Happens the same for me. I just restart the controller again if it doesnt come.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes