DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just finished my third ever video. Be kind to me please!

Django18

Reactions
Still getting to grips with the bare essentials of DaVinci Resolve on my woefully under-specced laptop - Thinkpad - which makes editing painfully slow and clunky! If I had time I’d do a better job but I have to do it where and when I have a minute so it’s a bit abrupt in places and not perfectly timed to the music. I enjoy the process though :)

Last edited:
Nice video ... A couple of points for you to think about;
You put the horizon at half way down the screen in a lot of cases. Try using what's called "the rule of thirds" - which is having 2/3 ground, 1/3 sky - or 1/3 ground, 2/3 sky. Your opening shots would have been great to use a mixture of that, because both the sky and the ground were interesting ...
Your choice of music and what you were showing was pretty laid back. So try not to make the transitions 'jar' ... Have a look at fade effects that make the transition softer for this kind of vid' and use the snap-transitions for action and drama.
But - great effort and show us more ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Django18
Still getting to grips with the bare essentials of DaVinci Resolve on my woefully under-specced laptop - Thinkpad - which makes editing painfully slow and clunky! If I had time I’d do a better job but I have to do it where and when I have a minute so it’s a bit abrupt in places and not perfectly timed to the music. I enjoy the process though :)

Very impressive from start to finish but the image appeared to be somewhat grainy I don’t know what that is from it look focused yet grainy

Very impressive from start to finish but the image appeared to be somewhat grainy I don’t know what that is from it look focused yet grainy
I can’t use the best quality render settings in Resolve as my laptop crashes if I try to render anything longer than two and a half minutes! The original clips from the drone are better but still a bit grainy. I don’t have another to compare to but I assumed it was just the small sensor size and a limitation of the camera. I always use the lowest ISO I can. Maybe there’s a way I can improve this in Resolve that I haven’t discovered yet...

I can’t use the best quality render settings in Resolve as my laptop crashes if I try to render anything longer than two and a half minutes! The original clips from the drone are better but still a bit grainy. I don’t have another to compare to but I assumed it was just the small sensor size and a limitation of the camera. I always use the lowest ISO I can. Maybe there’s a way I can improve this in Resolve that I haven’t discovered yet...
Yeah 4K takes a powerhouse computer I just bought a MacBook Pro 32 GB and it cuts through 4K like butter

I concur with FoxhallGM comments. In addition, me watchful of shooting directly into the sun as it will always be blown-out or overexposed. The opening sequence where the sun is just appearing and with a little cloud cover is ideal. There is a good variation of shots, especially the down looking images. Just wondering if you did some color correction?

Again, well done!

IMHO- loved it. Great opening shot, with rising sun and morning mist over the land. Then later, the downward views of the topographical patterns, and the livestock were wonderful. The Country music guitar picking was wonderful. The shots were mostly short which l like. I found a lot of repetition of the same scenes which was sort of redundant. The whole sequence could have been shorted by about a third by removing the repetitive sunrise scenes which were not ideal as the sun rose and. put everything else into the shadows.

Last edited:
I’ve updated the link to a better quality render. I managed to do it in H264 without my pc crashing! Seemed a bit better on the grain front. Also took onboard everyone’s comments and added some smoother transitions although there’s still a couple of harsh ones I can’t add fades to in Resolve. Don’t know why not...

I think its bloody stunning! Every bit of it and I am a photographer

Reactions: m80116 and Django18

Martin Scorsese called... he said you have a future in aerial cinematography!

Martin Scorsese called... he said you have a future in aerial cinematography!
I have sadly learned that any slow computer, desk top or laptop will be painfully slow in processing videos. One way that might help (at least it did when I had a slow computer and before I got a good one) is to use Adobe Premiere Pro PROXIES. Ingesting proxy clips allows for less work to be done by the processor, I think. I am attaching a screen grab of 4 You Tubes explaining this process. Just Googled Proxy- Adobe Premiere.

Attachments

• Proxy editing in Premiere.jpg
    Proxy editing in Premiere.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 5

I just finished my first video so of course, I'm now an expert. I think it sucked, oh wait, that was my video. I think yours is great! I don't want to minimize your efforts in any way but the brevity of your video is a strong point. In a little over three minutes your work showed a lot of views about that sunrise. I really like the music as well. A job very well done! What was your camera ship?

Well done. Enjoyed it immensely. This one I have flagged to my rewatch shortlist.
Your frustrations and patience have been rewarded. If I could I would lend yo my Mac Book Pro!
Thanks mate from Down Under.

I have sadly learned that any slow computer, desk top or laptop will be painfully slow in processing videos. One way that might help (at least it did when I had a slow computer and before I got a good one) is to use Adobe Premiere Pro PROXIES. Ingesting proxy clips allows for less work to be done by the processor, I think. I am attaching a screen grab of 4 You Tubes explaining this process. Just Googled Proxy- Adobe Premiere.
The ever constructive and kindly Dale....thanks mate, I always value your experience and care factor!

Thanks you all for your kind words and constructive criticisms!

FoxhallGM, I know what you mean about the rule of thirds. I know this stuff but I was so caught up in the light and the excitement of finally having a break in the weather that I just didn't think about it! I'll have to try not to forget the photography basics...

Dale D, I agree there's too many similar shots! I just wanted to capture the sunrise from early stages to full sun-up and not to have to trim the final vid to around a minute which I think would have been too short. I should probably have flown a bit further or moved down the road a bit for some new foreground interest. I was a bit time-limited that morning before work! I'll definitely google proxy working in DaVinci though. I've heard of that before but not explored it yet. It might be the answer to all my prayers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr