DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got call from the FAA about my name.

• Thread starter Deleted member 114292
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 114292

The need your name to be camel case in you dronezone profile.
e.g. MY NAME = My Name otherwise the need to manually fix it when you do an auth.
Google often fills it in all caps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hope the FAA have better things to do than call people about their name being either upper or lower case.
Guess it is better they called instead of just throwing the request for authorization into the shredder :D

Reactions: Lionfish
I'd hope the FAA have better things to do than call people about their name being either upper or lower case.

It's possible the system doesn't accept all CAPS entries. I can assure you they aren't doing it for Kicks & Grins.

If they don't have to change the case of your name they can do it faster that's all.

Should the website fix it? ya
Should their system accept it regardless of case? ya
But things are what they are.
BTW if you try to LAANC a 0 altitude square or ask for a higher altitude. than marked you will get it rejected and have to wait a few days.
I opted just to use drone zone.

e.g. MY NAME = My Name otherwise the need to manually fix it when you do an auth.

Camel case would be "myName".

Lazy coding. Reminds me of the xkcd comic. Don't forget to check the onmouseover attribute.

So, the format the fcc is asking for is as clear as mud?

So, the format the fcc is asking for is as clear as mud?

No just capitalize the first letter of your name that’s all. Leave the rest lowercase
It’s not even that they’re asking for per se it will just help them do everything quicker

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
Lazy coding. ...
Not just lazy - flat out boneheaded incompetence. Most of the public-facing FAA computer interfaces have the look and feel of Windows 95. I suspect that most of their software development is contracted out to the local eighth grade computer club.

I think you need to check your post's wording in that first sentence. It looks like it was written by someone unfamiliar with the English language. Sorry, but what's it supposed to mean?
That first sentence is all gobbledegook to me. Translation please?

I think you need to check your post's wording in that first sentence. It looks like it was written by someone unfamiliar with the English language. Sorry, but what's it supposed to mean?

That first sentence is all gobbledegook to me. Translation please?

It makes sense if you know what camelCase is (could be middle letter only caps or could be leading letter caps).

From Wiki:
Camel case is the practice of writing phrases such that each word or abbreviation in the middle of the phrase begins with a capital letter, with no intervening spaces or punctuation. Common examples include "iPhone" and "eBay". It is also sometimes used in online usernames such as "johnSmith", and to make multi-word domain names more legible, for example in advertisements.

From Google:

camel case
[ˈkaməl kās]

NOUN
camelCase (noun)
  1. a typographical convention in which an initial capital is used for the first letter of a word forming the second element of a closed compound, e.g.PayPal, iPhone, MasterCard.

So in essence the FAA system isn't able to accept JOHN SMITH but is "expecting" John Smith (most likely).

It makes sense if you know what camelCase is (could be middle letter only caps or could be leading letter caps).

From Wiki:
Camel case is the practice of writing phrases such that each word or abbreviation in the middle of the phrase begins with a capital letter, with no intervening spaces or punctuation. Common examples include "iPhone" and "eBay". It is also sometimes used in online usernames such as "johnSmith", and to make multi-word domain names more legible, for example in advertisements.

From Google:

camel case
[ˈkaməl kās]

NOUN
camelCase (noun)
  1. a typographical convention in which an initial capital is used for the first letter of a word forming the second element of a closed compound, e.g.PayPal, iPhone, MasterCard.

So in essence the FAA system isn't able to accept JOHN SMITH but is "expecting" John Smith (most likely).
It will accept it, it's just that when they go to enter an auth in another system, they have to manually intervene.
There is no requirement for this is just helpful to the FAA worker bees.

Y'all must be pretty pretty bored to make such a ruckus over this :)

It will accept it, it's just that when they go to enter an auth in another system, they have to manually intervene.
There is no requirement for this is just helpful to the FAA worker bees.

I'd say that one of the authorization DB is the culprit and that's where it's getting kicked out and not the front facing portal. It's sloppy coding to say the least.

Y'all must be pretty pretty bored to make such a ruckus over this :)

With the amount of people flying right now instead of working I can assure you the offices are swamped. I'd say many of them would appreciate some downtime to experience boredom right now.

The last thing any of them "want" to be doing is taking time to call around to help expedite the authorization process. It would be MUCH easier to just REJECT and let you figure out the problem and resubmit.

Not just lazy - flat out boneheaded incompetence. Most of the public-facing FAA computer interfaces have the look and feel of Windows 95. I suspect that most of their software development is contracted out to the local eighth grade computer club.
The FAA and the federal government are no worse than any large corporation.
No doubt the systems were designed at different times and there is not currently budget to change it right now.
No doubt there are hard at work figuring out how Remote ID will work and coding for that.
If you think it annoys you I image the FAA employees are not happy with it either.
They help me so I am eager to help them.

Not defending just pointing out the realities of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J