DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got the Goggles but first flight wasn't what I expected.

Tinmania

Reactions
I was really looking forward to getting my dji Goggles to use with my Mavic Pro. With the sun here in Arizona it's often a challenge to use the dji Go 4 app with my iPhone X. I considered getting an iPad mini 4 but figured the screen would still be tough to see out in the sun. I have a full size iPad but didn't want to use something that big, and it too would be rough in the sun. I figured the Goggles would eliminate the sun problem, and give me that great immersive experience too. The Goggles did indeed eliminate the sun problem, but my first flight was not very immersive, and a bit worrisome. Skip to the last two paragraphs to read about the issue.

Backing up a bit, I got my Goggles two days ago, direct from dji. That night I activated them, and bound to controller and Mavic Pro. No issues there, though the firmware of the Goggles was not updated, as I had believed (it arrived with 1.04.02, which it was running for my first flight). I was happy with the operation of the Goggles but also think I built myself up for a somewhat of a letdown: I was expecting an IMAX theater experience on my head whereas it was more like a trip to the local megaplex, albeit with an excellent seat :).

The fit of the Goggles for me and my big head is just okay. By just okay I mean any less of a fit would be instant return. I think it would have been a better fit if that "wing" on top of the head piece was adjustable or removable. I can sort of get them to fit good, but rotating the screen up to see the outside world messes it up. During my first flight I struggled to lift the screen with just one hand (had a spotter). In general the Goggles don't feel as "stable," for lack of a better term, as I figured they would. I feel as if they are one quick head turn from falling off. I imagine I will adjust to this, but these are my first impressions.

On a good note, the goggles' two LCD screens blended into one image to my eyes (well brain), without issue. This was without adjusting the ID. After adjusting it was even better. I did worry a bit about this, since I often struggle when using binoculars. That said it is, as has been mentioned a thousand times already, a shame there's no diopter adjustment. Can't complain as I knew that going in. My normal progressives don't seem to focus well but my prescription reading glasses seem better, till I get a stronger non-prescription pair from Walmart (or the add-on lens thing).

What really has me concerned though is the performance on that first flight. Started from in front of my house, which is in a housing development. I flew up to 150' then a few houses down the street to an empty field abutting a highway. It's slightly less than 1/5th of a mile away. I have flown this mission without the goggles several times before without issue. But well before even getting to the destination the goggles experienced video freezing--as if the signal was really bad. It replaced the feeling of immersion with a feeling of "this kinda sux." The video always returned, but it was disconcerting. I would have aborted the mission but my iPhone's screen seemed okay and I am diligent with my RTH settings--and the battery was fine. So I did complete the mission with the goggles, till right before landing in front of my house. So the mission was successful, but I don't think I can say the same for the goggles' performance, unless my expectations were too high.

My main question is, Is this normal or even semi-normal behavior for the goggles? I don't think I have seen this behavior when using my Mavic's R/C and my iPhone (my longest flight without the goggles was no more than 1/4 mile, so a bit further than the 1/5 mile I flew with the Goggles). It is possible it was happening using my phone but with the sun and smaller screen just didn't notice. Still, the way my dji Goggles' video stuttered and then would "catch up" I believe would have been noticeable on my phone too, had it happened. I thought the goggles, since using occusync, would be fine as far as signal was concerned--or at least close to what I have experienced with the Mavic's RC. One last thing, I did just update the goggles to firmware 1.04.03, but have not flown since the first flight (in case 1.04.02 was problematic).

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeroff
FWIW, I have never had any sort of issues with my DJI Goggles. I have used them with my MPP as well as my Spark.

FWIW, I have never had any sort of issues with my DJI Goggles. I have used them with my MPP as well as my Spark.
Yea that is what I assumed would be my experience too. I did just update the firmware so hopefully next test will be better.

There are two other things that seemed odd as well. One, my goggles seems to go to sleep (display turns off!) even if being worn and with a live view from the aircraft. I thought maybe it was something in settings, but now I wonder. Also, when trying to view video from the Mavic my goggles seem to take a long time to process even the thumbnails--a lot longer than using DJI Go on my phone.

Mike

I recently got mine and have only flown twice with them. No connection issues yet but I didn't go very far.

As for the fit I have a large head and found in another thread that annoying top piece of the headband is removable. If you peel back the foam directly under it on the main band there are two tiny Philips screws. Once removed it fit much better for me. Check out the thread and scroll down for the pictures.

DJI goggle fit mod

My guess is you had a firmware mismatch. I bought the Goggles last month and have enjoyed them with my MPP. Only went about a half mile away, but video was solid. I've had a couple of people wear them while I used my phone screen and they loved it. I don't feel the goggles are on very solidly, so I may make the suggested mod. On the other hand, they haven't fallen off either.

Reactions: Tinmania
Try rebinding, you should have the same performance than with the controller and have perfect imagery a couple of kms away.

The FOV actually IS about what you get in an IMAX from a mid-theatre seat... (not a dome IMAX obviously).

Thanks all for the advice. It definely was a firmware mismatch since my Mavic was on 1.04.03 and the goggles .02.

I will re-bind and try again with both on .03.

Also good to know that top piece is removable!

So overall would you recommend them? Or is it more of a novelty?
It's hard for me to say at this point. I surely like them--and they appear to work better after updating firmware. But I don't think I would say run out and buy them right now. Maybe in a few days I will feel that way.

Today I took them to a local park, along the Colorado River here in AZ. The goggles didn't have any of the freezing or stuttering I saw in that first video. But I didn't fly with them too much. I did let several people that I was with at the park try them while I flew with my phone/controller. That seemed cool, or at least the people I let try them while I flew thought so. So without a doubt, they are good in the "sharing with others" aspect. And indeed I was looking forward to that aspect. So without a doubt a win there.

I think they will still be good for me, but I am taking my time with them. I only have had my Mavic Pro for three weeks so I am still getting used to that too. I have a lot of experience flying R/C planes--big ones. Just one of my larger planes cost more than five Mavic Pros, and yet I flew that thing aggressively, even hovering with the rudder only inches from the ground. But I never took my eyes off of it, or any R/C plane, for even a second. Yet I lost that plane due to an aileron server seizing and freezing the aileron at full deflection. It hurt but those things happen in that hobby and you learn and move on.

Now with my mavic I seem to act, or at least feel, like it is worth more than all those r/c planes combined (meanwhile just my main transmitter for R/C cost as much as a Phantom). So it is puzzling why this drone, which does in fact have MUCH more tech in it to help fly, makes me as nervous as it does. I am much better today than I was 3 weeks ago, but still not at a comfort level I want to have.

I thought the goggles would help relax me, being that there is no issue seeing the screen even in the brightest sun. But I am even less relaxed when flying with the goggles. And I only ever activate head tracking (gimbal only) when the Mavic is up at least 100'. Controlling the camera like that is indeed awesome--and the thing the people in the park really liked.

In any case right at this moment, I am not planning on returning the goggles.

Mike

Another tidbit of info: It seems the dji Goggles, or at least the pair I got, do not have a very fast processor, or there is an issue with the MSD card logic. When I took my first flight, with all the jerkiness and pauses, I had a MSD card in the goggles. This was the original 16GB lexar card that came with my Mavic, and it had some footage on it (wanted to play on goggles locally). The next flight I didn't have any card in the goggles.

Just now I took my new 64GB sandisk extreme card that I used today for footage with the mavic and put it in the goggles. Whoa!!! For starters I swear it took a lot longer for the goggles to even boot up to the main screen (drone off). So I compared booting up with the 64GB card and without. The difference was drastic: 15 seconds with no card and 30 seconds with. Worse, with the card inserted the Googles didn't respond to input when it finally displayed the main screen. Swiping the touchpad sounded like usual, with the beeps and whatnot, but nothing happened on screen. Then, as if all my swipes were queued, it quickly acted on them (weird).

Also, I can just about forget trying to view local videos that were on that 64GB card when the goggles finally got around to booting up and being functional: it took forever to show the thumbnails when in the photo/video viewer mode. The 16gb Lexar card that came with the Mavic didn't slow down the Goggles as much, and that is a slower card. It just had less data on it for the goggles to process (know idea what is doing with photos on bootup).

At this point I am thinking perhaps it was leaving the card in the goggles during that first flight that caused the goggles to act so poorly. Indeed it happened before range should have even been a factor (nor did the stuttering get worse when I went further out).

I think I will make a new thread on this, in case it is a hardware issue with my mavic and not normal behavior. But has anyone here seen anything like this with their dji goggles? Specifically, this seems to happen with a msd card that was used on the mavic (and presumably other dji drones) that was then inserted into the goggles before powering on. The more images and videos on the card, the slower the goggles boot up, at least with my goggles.

Mike

I've had mine out to 7kms with 1080 still showing. The reason I bought the the Mavic was the fact that it's a great fpv package. I always use my goggles never use the phone.
Wow that is great range. I have not had an issue since that first flight. Indeed I repeated the same flight and went out even further without a problem.

My issue, apparently, was having that card inside the Mavic. I was also running one version older firmware than current, whereas the Mavic was current. Don’t think that was the issue though since even on the current version the goggles slow to a crawl when I have that same memory card inserted (64GB sandisk, 80% full). I’m just not going to fly with a memory card in the goggles anymore.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop the goggles from changing my Mavic’s video recording mode from 4K to 1080p. Need to read more, as I think there is a way around that.

I’m any case linking the goggles more and more. Just bought a case for them so looks like I’ll be keeping ‘em! :)

Mike

Wow that is great range. I have not had an issue since that first flight. Indeed I repeated the same flight and went out even further without a problem.

My issue, apparently, was having that card inside the Mavic. I was also running one version older firmware than current, whereas the Mavic was current. Don’t think that was the issue though since even on the current version the goggles slow to a crawl when I have that same memory card inserted (64GB sandisk, 80% full). I’m just not going to fly with a memory card in the goggles anymore.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop the goggles from changing my Mavic’s video recording mode from 4K to 1080p. Need to read more, as I think there is a way around that.

I’m any case linking the goggles more and more. Just bought a case for them so looks like I’ll be keeping ‘em! :)

Mike
thanx so much for the awsome write ups, i am on the fence for these, i enjoyed your down to earth review

thanx so much for the awsome write ups, i am on the fence for these, i enjoyed your down to earth review
I'm on the fence also, but for the reason that they look like a shoe box on your face (and probably feel like one too). I think though that I would like the exclusion of outside light.
And I'm undecided partly because I have a brand new old fatshark set in a box somewhere I've used once on a full control quad (scared the heck out of me) and still want to try out on one of the Mav's. I had the diopter problem with them also and they faded from my interest to use them.
But the MP's seem like a decent platform to try out stuff with so I'll get back to it when they arrive back home.

Love the write up, but what I need to read is some ones excitement to have used them to get me excited too, that would help me to spend the money on them.
Your post is definitely honest and I thank you for that, PJ.

Reactions: genesimmons
haha no worries, were in the same boat, just tangling on the fence, glad they went down in priceing a bit, they are 449 in canada now, almost makes them tempting haha

haha no worries, were in the same boat, just tangling on the fence, glad they went down in priceing a bit, they are 449 in canada now, almost makes them tempting haha
Still too much for my liking for what they are.
Had a thought on those b300's or something? Expensive too. Thing is that I would spend a thousand if they came out with a decent design and functionality with out a problem, just waiting for that.
The Fatsharks are out dated I know but I already have them so I'll give them another go. I hate buying something and not liking it. I still have electronics and partially built quads that I'll never use hanging on nails, but they're ancient now and the grandkids thought I was building monsters lol.
They think the Mav's are cool though, so I'm gonna have to get them involved too.
Anyhoo, nice talking with you, regards, PJ.

Reactions: FEMit
Another update. I want to emphasize that that first flight was an anomaly: since then no issues with the video freezing like that first flight. I wouldn't exactly say "anomaly" in the normal sense, since I can repeat it by simply leaving a fairly full, marginally okay speedwise, micro SD card in the goggles. There is no need to do that anyway since nothing seems to be stored there by the Goggles. Instead it seems to try to create thumbnails, and even a set of smaller thumbnails, for everything on the memory card. It does this even if you happen to want to fly and that's too much multitasking for the goggles. But again, no biggie as it is as simple as leaving the card slot alone, unless I want to use the goggles as a playback device in the field--even then I'd rather just stream from the Mavic to the Goggles for that.

To be clear: There is no range or signal issue with my Goggles.

I did pick up a pair of readers which work well. But I think I will get the dji lenses or focus fixers since it is a pain to bring along the readers and remember to put them on before flying. Conversely, remembering to take them off so I can see after removing the goggles. Having the readers built in to the goggles should be a big help. Hopefully it doesn't mess up the view for others (for drone rides etc.).

I am much more comfortable using the goggles now, and by that I mean using them to fly the Mavic. They really do offer a spectacular view. One thing I do wish they had, even as an option, is the ability to show that mini map in the corner of the display, such as in go4.

As far as physical comfort, no issues as of now. I didn't bother to take that top wing off. Maybe I just got used to them but they feel comfortable and I never feel neck pain or anything wearing them. I should note I have worn motorcycle helmets for years so maybe that is a factor.

I have gotten a female to female HDMI adapter so I can use the goggles with an extra Amazon Fire Stick I have. Works really well, and who knows for car rides or whatnot could be nice to have. They work with my laptop and main PC as well.

All that said, contrary to what I originally expected, wearing the goggles for every flight is just not something that works for me. So they were not a substitute for a tablet/phone, but more of a compliment to it. They are still amazing, and for $350 I recommend them, but not the kind of amazing you want every single time. I mean, I love bacon, but it's not something I want with every meal. And for me, without a tablet for the MP, that meant still needing to use my iPhone X for every flight, whether I used the goggles or not.

So I started looking for a tablet that I could dedicate to the Mavic. Last weekend ended up getting an iPad mini 4 on clearance from Walmart for $99. That was quite a deal and it works great. But if I didn't get that deal and I could only choose one, the iPad mini 4 or the dji Goggles, it would be a tough call. The Goggles are awesome, but I don't use them all of the time. The iPad mini 4 is a great tablet that I will use for most all flights, and better outside in the sun with my mavic than my iPhone X, but it is of course not nearly as good in the sun as the goggles.

Thanks for reading!

Mike

Mike,

Great read, and I miss AZ , Fountain Hills, Chandler, lived there 10yrs. ;(
Please, just try removing the top piece from the goggles, they will fit so much better, and more securely when you swivel them up. If you don't like it, you can easily put it back for none the worse.

Once you get rid having to jack around with the separate glasses, and put lenses IN the goggles, it will seem so much less cumbersome.
If you have a access to a 3d printer just download lens adapters from thingiverse, get some readers from the dollar store, pop out the lenses and take a dremel cutting wheel to the lenses to fit the 3d printed adapters(just trace with sharpie and cut) Here's the file you want to print( or have printed) Lens holders for DJI Googles by obelix662000

I can print them for you if needed, no cost.

Whatever your readers magnification is, roughly double it for the goggles. I use 1.75x normally, and 3x in the goggles.

I love my goggles, and I also have a mini 4, which I usually don't use, I prefer ZERO wires, and not plugging anything in, or loading any software. I run .700fw and .1000fw on goggles, so I don't have flight limitations when not using Ipad/DJI GO4/logging in.

Justin in KS

Mike,

Great read, and I miss AZ , Fountain Hills, Chandler, lived there 10yrs. ;(
Please, just try removing the top piece from the goggles, they will fit so much better, and more securely when you swivel them up. If you don't like it, you can easily put it back for none the worse.

Once you get rid having to jack around with the separate glasses, and put lenses IN the goggles, it will seem so much less cumbersome.
If you have a access to a 3d printer just download lens adapters from thingiverse, get some readers from the dollar store, pop out the lenses and take a dremel cutting wheel to the lenses to fit the 3d printed adapters(just trace with sharpie and cut) Here's the file you want to print( or have printed) Lens holders for DJI Googles by obelix662000

I can print them for you if needed, no cost.

Whatever your readers magnification is, roughly double it for the goggles. I use 1.75x normally, and 3x in the goggles.

I love my goggles, and I also have a mini 4, which I usually don't use, I prefer ZERO wires, and not plugging anything in, or loading any software. I run .700fw and .1000fw on goggles, so I don't have flight limitations when not using Ipad/DJI GO4/logging in.

Justin in KS
Thanks, Justin. Thanks for the offer to print them! If you can do it I would def use them and appreciate it. I could then make sure I have the correct magnification on the readers before gluing them in.

That said my normal magnification is like 2.5. I had read to just add 1 to it for the goggles. So I got 3.5 from Walmart (might be 3.75 can't recall exactly). But indeed I think they would be better if a little stronger. Alas, the readers I have seen locally don't go up to 4.0 so maybe I'll check Amazon. Dang, I didn't think my eyes were that bad! :)

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman