DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just put my drone in the lake now I'm trying to find it need help

My short story goes like this... having a party, showing my brother how SPORT mode works, look away to chat for a few seconds full speed and yaw right... 80' straight into the lake.

So, party is winding down and Im kinda bummed. After checking the depth of the lake at the last known GPS location, the lake is 25-30' deep and FL lakes are not glacier clear to say the least. We have a couple really strong magnets (the kind you need a prybar to get released). But from what I have read there is very little metal in the Mavic 2, so I dont have much faith I'll find it. concidering the area I would have to cover.
After a good soaking at that depth, I don't believe it would be of much value even if I did happen to get lucky and find it.

I would like to thank everyone here on this site that go out of their way to help dumbasses like me.

I read all the stories of pilot error and wondered how silly you must be to let this happen to you.
Well folks add me to the barrel of monkeys;)

So my next question is... can I buy just the drone? I have everything but the M2Z and a batteryThumbswayup.

My experience is everyone helps because most know your pain. I do. I've:

1) run my mp pro into side of my house while flying in sport mode (refresh).

2) flown backwards into hill (no damage but hard to access and locate).

3) flown in to river requiring scuba gear to get it out (refresh).

4) allowed return to home kick in while flying under tree (refresh).

Each time I've felt like a complete dope.

Good news is that I've learned much and mistakes are fewer and farther between.

To answer your question, my experience has been that DJI will sell you a new drone without controller through support channel (not sales).

Good luck.

Was it windy or gusting ?

Sorry for loss.
Crystal clear and barely a breeze... this is all on me.

My wife "doesn't surprise me" as she sips her wine... "that thing was how much, did you ever call State Farm?"
Me "a lot and I've been meaning to.
Her "dumdass" :D:D:D

What’s a new controller worth if I buy a new drone I won’t need it"

Reactions: TR Ganey
So I was flying my drone across the lake 500 feet away and it nosedived for some strange reason now I need to figure out how to pinpoint it so I can try and retrieve it any help would be greatly appreciated I'm sitting in my boat right now

First of all, sorry to hear about this issue. Out of curiosity, what was your elevation above the water before it crashed?

Looking at the flight I was...

In SPORT MODE (which I rarely ever do, so my experience level was novice at best)

Showing my brother what a Bada$$ drone it "was"

Not paying very close attention to wtf I was do'n

I had it full throttle... so it was full nose down.

I pushed the left stick full right... at 80' ALL (Above Lake Level :))

I'm guessing that thing lost serious altitude really fast and hit the water hard. Last MPH recorded was 55.

Again I was in full distracted mode, so it was over in seconds.

In the words of good Ol Arnold the Terminator... insert accent here... "I'll be back" :p

I'm guessing that thing lost serious altitude really fast and hit the water hard. Last MPH recorded was 55.
Again I was in full distracted mode, so it was over in seconds.
You are just guessing and the real cause of the incident is still unknown.
Turning hard in Sport mode doesn't crash a drone.
It's bad to lose a drone but doubly bad when you don't learn anything from the incident to help in future flying.
I'm not sure why you've ignored the data

You are just guessing and the real cause of the incident is still unknown.
Turning hard in Sport mode doesn't crash a drone.
It's bad to lose a drone but doubly bad when you don't learn anything from the incident to help in future flying.
I'm not sure why you've ignored the data
Im trying figure out how to upload the file. I fly with an apple product ONLY so I have no clue how to use I tunes or upload the flight record. No apple experience at all. I have a little extra time now to figure it out.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
What’s a new controller worth if I buy a new drone I won’t need it"

If it's not possible to buy a new DJI drone without controller and battery charger then it bloody well should be. It would be easy for DJI to provide this option on an "as needs" basis either direct to the customer or via a nominated dealer.

Follow the link in post #4.
You'll find instructions there.

Yeah... I glanced at it and it referenced I needed to have Itunes. The only apple product I have is a ipad mini 4 and only bought it to have a designated device for the M2Z. I will go back and read though it and figure it out, then upload it. Been a busy weekend, the weather has been perfect for outdoorstuff. I definitely want to share it so it can be critiqued. And hopefully it will help someone else.
The wife is not happy with me spending another 1200 bucks on something I plan to continue to fly over the lake, she'll come around in a few days . :D

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I would be keen to know why it suddenly nosedived. I do most of my Pro 2 flying over water (in Sport mode) at an altitude of only a few metres and any sudden nose-dive would be fatal!

Reactions: Concern and STUFF2C
I wnt to download itunes and there are hundreds of choices. Again i only have an Ipad mine 4

Yeah... I glanced at it and it referenced I needed to have Itunes. The only apple product I have is a ipad mini 4 and only bought it to have a designated device for the M2Z. I will go back and read though it and figure it out, then upload it. Been a busy weekend, the weather has been perfect for outdoorstuff. I definitely want to share it so it can be critiqued. And hopefully it will help someone else.
The wife is not happy with me spending another 1200 bucks on something I plan to continue to fly over the lake, she'll come around in a few days . :D
I wnt to download itunes and there are hundreds of choices. Again i only have an Ipad mine 4

You need to do more than glance at the instructions.

HOW TO: Retrieve DJI Phantom Flight Logs from an Apple Device | Phantom Help

How about the csv file out if the DJI G4 app. It says export it, I did but have no clue where it went

According to the directions... I need to install itunes in my PC? I hear uTube calling me Thumbswayup

never been an apple fan ever since they stole all my music, years ago you needed 3rd party software to extract your music files from itunes.

Reactions: Concern
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters