DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just recovered my lost mavic lost 6months ago!

jason38

Reactions
Just wanted to share this little story about my lost lavic pro...
This winter, I was hiking on skis in chartreuse mountains during december 2017, and wanted to film a pass between cliffs, but it was very cold and I was hurried to put back m'y hands un my gloves...So I made a quick fly , without checking around...
And the nightmare arrived... As I was side travelling, I saw a tree Just in front of my mavic, so I immediately made it go up and stop travelling...but way too late.... It crashed in a tree, up there in the Cliff... :(
Big mistake !!!
I tried to recover it that day, but there were no safe access , but I was able to hear its recovering alarm pretty near, and located it with the find my drone option...
We came back to find it a week later, with all equipment needed, but there were more snow and the avalanche risk was very high...as we dont want to die, we decided to wait for spring to recover it safely ...
But winter season was long and snowy , good for skiing but not to SAR a drone...

We tried several times to find a good way to reach the supposed drone position (which probably fell down the tree due to wind...and could be anywhere in the Cliff)

But yesturday, we found it!!!
It was down a tree, and was very close to fall down all the Cliff!!
But it was here, after 6months spent up there in snow, rain, cold wind and Hugh températures...
The gimbal is out of the drone and hang with the wire , we didnt find the battery, (we'll go up there again to recover it)
A propeller is missing, outside screws are rusted, back right arm was blend , front left antenna shot and plastic is all burned, and a spider made its house inside...
I opened it, removing the top plate, and was surprised too see that apart from that spider, dust and pine spines, all was looking pretty good, no rust on weddings or components...
Camera seems to be out of order, the Lens looks all opaque ,but motors seems to move freely...

I'm hesitating to plug in a battery to see if it still works, but I'm scared about a short circuit that could damage battery...
Anyway, I'll keep it to have some change parts for my "new" mavic I bought Just after that crash...

I'm impressed about how it resisted against hard meteorological conditions...thought I discovered it completely dislocated ....

IMG_20180804_183740.jpegIMG_20180804_184702.jpeg

With some careful cleaning and a good battery it may surprise you and work.
I would personally pay for the care and refresh program (DJI told me you can buy it for a used or older machine,) and have it replaced.
But in any case, you found it and got your closure, which goes a long way to heal the loss of a once well working machine.

With some careful cleaning and a good battery it may surprise you and work.
I would personally pay for the care and refresh program (DJI told me you can buy it for a used or older machine,) and have it replaced.
But in any case, you found it and got your closure, which goes a long way to heal the loss of a once well working machine.

I didn't know that you can "active" a care and refresh on a drone I bought one year earlier...
I'll check that and ask them if its possible, because I opened the top plate and removed one of the back arms to see if I can repair it...?

anyway, it's good to, see it again, and I have hopes that it will fly again, I saw some mavics just sunk under water and still works after that...

...I would personally pay for the care and refresh program (DJI told me you can buy it for a used or older machine,) and have it replaced...
The only way you can purchase Refresh after 48 hours of activation is to supply DJI with a video that shows it flying (details on DJI site).

The only way you can purchase Refresh after 48 hours of activation is to supply DJI with a video that shows it flying (details on DJI site).
OK, and if dji see a video of my mavic fly without gimbal , is it a real "flying mavic" for them ? ;)
If I need to replace the gilmbal first, the cost will be expensive + the care and refresh cost... Worth it?

OK, and if dji see a video of my mavic fly without gimbal , is it a real "flying mavic" for them ? ;)
If I need to replace the gilmbal first, the cost will be expensive + the care and refresh cost... Worth it?
The instructions for the video are on the DJI site. It would include a view showing the gimbal so no, it would not pass inspection and qualify for Refresh. Your only option now is to try to fix it yourself (there are many videos that can help) or pay someone else to do it.

I think the OP is trying to get an idea of what it would take/cost to make his MP air worthy again
Dont worry guys, as I say in my first post, I destroyed my savings buying another mavic pro after I crashed the first one, knowing I'll not be able to recover it quickly...
Addict... :)
So I think I'll keep the crashed one, to get some spare parts for my new one.
I dont think it worth the price to buy again a new gimbal, then purchase the care and refresh ....

Dont worry guys, as I say in my first post, I destroyed my savings buying another mavic pro after I crashed the first one, knowing I'll not be able to recover it quickly...
Addict... :)
So I think I'll keep the crashed one, to get some spare parts for my new one.
I dont think it worth the price to buy again a new gimbal, then purchase the care and refresh ....

I had a similar scenario and purchased a replacement MP when I couldn’t locate my original. When I finally locate my drone months later, I had the rusted external screws, faded plastic ect. I changed the battery and props and took it for a spin. After numerous test flights, my MP works perfectly. I would have Rob at thunder drones change your gimbal, have him look it over, change the battery and then perform vigorous testing in open field and you may be surprised if the outcome. I would still be cautious and never trust it in anything other than open areas.

Did any one here knows what will be minimum temperature for drone flying? As you guys aware Iphone will be stop working at certain temperature wether too hot or too cold.

Thank you for sharing And for taking responsibility for the mishap

Mavic pro is indeed a kind of flying tank ! Robust!!
I have a pro and an Air.
I would not bother repairing the pro. I would wait, if I were you, for the new mavic coming out soon.
The mavic pro loves trees.my own is called branchescutter ... It seems its avoiding obstacle'sensors enjoy trees.
The mavic Air is way more safer close to trees.
I am assuming that the new Mavic coming out will be solid like the Pro and smart like the Air.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69