DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just trying to be nice... Jeeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I thought about sending some marketing shots to some places but after I read this, I'm going to avoid it.

Reactions: jpbluzharp
Wow, I thought about sending some marketing shots to some places but after I read this, I'm going to avoid it.

Please don't cut yourself off from possible work because of this atypical reaction. I've had some really positive responses from realtors, religious organizations and others after sending "teasers" or samples containing images of their properties. Do great work, be respectful, professional and polite while representing yourself. Even if you don't get a particular job or perhaps even ruffle the feathers of an un-evolved drone hater... you'll still be building a quality portfolio.

Good luck!

Reactions: iMario and geigy
Gorgeous video - thanks for sharing.

I'd also like to thank you for handling this so well. Drones do have a negative image, in many cases due to people who both flew aggressively and acted aggressively after the fact when confronted. Perhaps you have had a more positive effect than the reply letters would indicate.

Last edited:
Beautiful video Harp. Obviously the manager is a cranky guy who doesn't recognize a kind gesture. I'm certain there are lessons for all involved. I appreciate your attitude. Those of us who attempt to respect the laws and remain conscious of peoples privacy and paranoia are becoming increasingly paranoid ourselves. Many of us have been faced with legal threats and physical violence (myself included) for simply attempting to capture a beautiful scene from the air. I fear there is no simple solution except to continue to encourage each other and offer advice to the noobs. Nice job bro. Let's hope the park manager gets to his long awaited retirement party soon. He's obviously not enjoying his job, nor serving his fellow citizens as a servant. [emoji846]

So, I went to a local park early on a recent spring morning in order to test some depth of field settings on my Mavic Pro. Edited a little piece and sent a thank you note and a link to the park's administration... I figured they might enjoy it and use it to promote their work. Once again it looks like I failed to anticipate the power of drone hate!

First my email..

To Whom It May Concern,

I wanted to thank you for maintaining the beautiful grounds of Lasdon Park Arboretum.

I went there early last weekend and shot some video of the fountain.. Spring provided some spectacular cinematic backgrounds.

Feel free to use this footage and if you'd like to document more of the ongoing progress and construction please contact via the information below. I'm a FAA licensed drone pilot and have worked as a video producer and director for the last thirty years for Fortune 500 companies, US Presidents, and foreign tourist bureaus.

Enjoy,

Mavic Pro - Spring Fountain

What a surprising response...

JP – Obviously you disregarded our posted sign at the front gate prohibited the use of drones in our park. Do not do this again and you do not have permission from Westchester county to market this video.

Ted Kozlowski, Manager

I posted the edit on FB and within 24 hours got over six hundred views with a bunch of likes and positive comments.. How can we educate the powers that be to embrace our capabilities in marketing their places? Shouldn't it be the goal of every taxpayer funded park to ensure that as many people as possible enjoy the benefits of their tax dollars? During this weekend of rain I'd say far more people saw that video than visited the park and judging from the comments I'd say many more are interested in paying a future visit.

I apologized for not seeing the sign and alerted Ted that I had checked the VFR sectionals to make sure that area of my intended flight was class G airspace. I also asked if cameras and smartphones were prohibited in the park. Seems to me that public places and images of them are pretty much fair game for display in any medium..

My intent now is to suggest the benefits of using drone footage for marketing, archiving development within the park, and for sharing with the people whose tax dollars fund county parks.

I guess we'll see how deep the fear and loathing of drones is around here.

Yeah, the response from the park manager was a bit rude and harsh, but let me ask you this: Did you know the park's policy on drones before you sent your email? Seems that that is a very important piece of information to get if you wanted to anticipate what the park's response to your email would be. Or were you assuming that your politely written email would smooth things over regardless of the park's official policy on drones?

Not quite certain what the issue is here.

The guy is just doing his job (though he could have been less abrasive in his reply).

And you you were flying in a restricted area, intentionally or otherwise.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform

The guy is just doing his job (though he could have been less abrasive in his reply).

LOL

He was flying in a local park.

With a toy.

Big deal.

And the manager freaked out in extremely rude fashion.

LOL

He was flying in a local park.

With a toy.

Big deal.

And the manager freaked out in extremely rude fashion.

Pretty much what I just said.

The point is, the area is marked as restricted to drones. The OP was unaware. The manager of the park made him aware.

Seems pretty reasonable to me regardless of the pompous officiousness of the response.

I believe that is the issue. His terse reply. Doing his job rather rudely.

Yeah, the response from the park manager was a bit rude and harsh, but let me ask you this: Did you know the park's policy on drones before you sent your email? Seems that that is a very important piece of information to get if you wanted to anticipate what the park's response to your email would be. Or were you assuming that your politely written email would smooth things over regardless of the park's official policy on drones?

As noted earlier, I did not see a sign forbidding drones. Additionally, I had no idea of the park's restrictions before writing or sending my email. This is a beautiful park I have visited and enjoyed on prior occasions probably before they established these new rules. Even though this was not a Pre-planned flight I did check the VFR sectionals to ensure that it was G-rated airspace. There were no NOTAMS posted and no markings denoting restricted or prohibited airspace. Also, as noted earlier there were no people or workers visible to me during the hour or so I was there.

The FAA has recently written about local municipalities overstepping their authority and thereby threatening the orderly application of rules regarding airspace. This is a classic example of that type of confusion. Should helicopters avoid the area? Prop planes? 747s? Satellites?

I'm hoping that as safe flights continue to accumulate and local authorities are better educated as to the reliability and sophistication of UASs perhaps the fear will be replaced by logical regulations more in keeping with the Federal Aviation Administration's. One can easily see that my flights were safe, slow and totally within the suggested parameters suggested by the proper regulating authority. No pedestrians, vehicles or property were in danger at any time. I have suggested to the local DEP that they would be better served by rules allowing licensed pilots to land, fly and takeoff on the properties they control rather than prohibiting takeoffs and landings which forces pilots to be farther away from their aircraft.
Proximity is key for precise line of sight operation. Why not enable safer flying that can aid authorities in recording and marketing their public properties?

Pilots and land managers should form a symbiotic relationship that enables all of us to gather great footage as both art and important quantifiable archival records. Who better to record improvements, erosion, passive decay or change of any kind to managed natural landscapes and waterways than talented drone photographers and film makers? I believe we should partner in the preservation and enjoyment of these beautiful places rather than waste time in adversarial relationships. We should be seen by those in charge as valuable allies in preserving natural habitats, parks, reservoirs and monuments. I'm working towards that goal.

Two days.. almost 800 views on FB, with loads of likes and positive comments suggest that these videos can be more effective than the parks themselves in reaching appreciative audiences and stoking interest. The question now is... How do we get that message across to the people in charge?

Last edited:
Once again it looks like I failed to anticipate the power of drone hate!

These people can't cope with technology moving on. Anything they don't understand or can't control they want to ban.

One of the main reasons I bought a Mavic is its stealthy nature. It is really hard to detect in the air. And I NEVER tell anyone in government that I've been flying anywhere. (Except for controlled airspace authorization requests! :cool:)

Completely reckless! Flying low like that over those tulips. You could have severed the head right of one of those tulips. What if you ran into those little boys dancing in the fountain? o_O

Nice shots! Thumbswayup like the revial shots. Guess you will need a difference place to fly.

So, I went to a local park early on a recent spring morning in order to test some depth of field settings on my Mavic Pro. Edited a little piece and sent a thank you note and a link to the park's administration... I figured they might enjoy it and use it to promote their work. Once again it looks like I failed to anticipate the power of drone hate!

First my email..

To Whom It May Concern,

I wanted to thank you for maintaining the beautiful grounds of Lasdon Park Arboretum.

I went there early last weekend and shot some video of the fountain.. Spring provided some spectacular cinematic backgrounds.

Feel free to use this footage and if you'd like to document more of the ongoing progress and construction please contact via the information below. I'm a FAA licensed drone pilot and have worked as a video producer and director for the last thirty years for Fortune 500 companies, US Presidents, and foreign tourist bureaus.

Enjoy,

JP – Obviously you disregarded our posted sign at the front gate prohibited the use of drones in our park. Do not do this again and you do not have permission from Westchester county to market this video.

Ted Kozlowski, Manager

I posted the edit on FB and within 24 hours got over six hundred views with a bunch of likes and positive comments.. How can we educate the powers that be to embrace our capabilities in marketing their places? Shouldn't it be the goal of every taxpayer funded park to ensure that as many people as possible enjoy the benefits of their tax dollars? During this weekend of rain I'd say far more people saw that video than visited the park and judging from the comments I'd say many more are interested in paying a future visit.

I apologized for not seeing the sign and alerted Ted that I had checked the VFR sectionals to make sure that area of my intended flight was class G airspace. I also asked if cameras and smartphones were prohibited in the park. Seems to me that public places and images of them are pretty much fair game for display in any medium..

My intent now is to suggest the benefits of using drone footage for marketing, archiving development within the park, and for sharing with the people whose tax dollars fund county parks.

What a freaking idiot that Park Manager. I mean seriously!!

First my email..

To Whom It May Concern,

Enjoy,

Ted Kozlowski, Manager

you were clearly violating ants privacy and disturbed the air in the entire hemisphere by your reckless flying. I hope you didnt cause the next apocalypse for your video.

Completely reckless! Flying low like that over those tulips. You could have severed the head right of one of those tulips. What if you ran into those little boys dancing in the fountain? o_O

Nice shots! Thumbswayup like the revial shots. Guess you will need a difference place to fly.
Or he could just fly from outside the park and it would be totally legal.

:D

I had a similar reaction with the local DEP after shooting a bridge over a reservoir. I sent the video offered to do more in order to help protect the water supply and archive its development, erosion, wildlife etc.. The head of the dept. wrote to tell me that they were going to outlaw landing or taking off from wetland property. I responded informing him that drones can be operated from distances greater than the grounds they are responsible for while still conforming to the line of sight requirements as stipulated by the FAA. I tried reasoning with him about the advantages of having pilots in close proximity to their aircraft so as to more easily avoid obstacles, birds etc...

I pointed out the weakness of his "security concerns" considering the many bridges with heavy traffic traveling over the water supply which stands in stark contrast with the limited payloads of any commercial drone. I also sent pictures from Google Earth to demonstrate that images of every facility are already in the public domain..

Never heard back...
So much for diplomacy.
Let's hope that in the very near future our continued efforts and safe flying are rewarded with a modicum of respect and appreciation.

Well in this scenario, I think you should avoid flying so close to the bridge for a couple of reasons.
Metal structures can really affect the compass of your craft and you can crash on the the bridge.
Now, you might also distract the drivers and cause another incident on the road.

So this is a difficult one .

jpbluzharp said: The question now is... How do we get that message across to the people in charge?

And I say, once again, we are in great need of a national uav association, formed with the express purpose of communicating with those who don't understand/like uavs.

The longer we wait to do so, the more of these same exchanges we will run into, and the more we are inviting state and local governments to pass weird arcane laws which ill suit us.

Well in this scenario, I think you should avoid flying so close to the bridge for a couple of reasons.
Metal structures can really affect the compass of your craft and you can crash on the the bridge.
Now, you might also distract the drivers and cause another incident on the road.

So this is a difficult one .

This is a bridge that gets practically zero traffic. As to the compass interference... while flying through the bridge I had to land because of that very problem. While executing the other shots in close proximity there were no problems of any kind. My takeaway from that particular shoot is that a properly calibrated compass works well unless surrounded by a metal grid like a bridge or while flying inside a steel framed building. There were no instances of the Mavic flying erratically or deviating from my stick commands while operating close to the bridge from above or beside it. It also performed surprisingly well when I flew quickly underneath the bridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50