DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just trying to be nice... Jeeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question...when people send you letters soliciting you for their amazing services that you don't currently need, what do you do? What about when they call you? Me, I tell them flat out, I am on the do not call registry, take me off your list as you already broke the rules, and never call again.

In your case, you offered something they don't see as needed. That is the first issue...even if it really would benefit them (like so many salesmen swear you do when they cold call you), that does not mean they want it or will get it, or that they are even remotely interested in getting it from you as they may already have something else in the works. Also, along the way, you broke their rules. At the same time, you are just one more in a long line of solicitors that send them messages on a daily basis...only most don't break their rules getting there. For you to feel emotionally damaged enough to create a thread about this, yet you are man enough to have all of these accomplishments and world records...well...do you see what I'm getting at here? You make great videos...don't let this interaction turn you bitter, but instead sack up and learn from it. Solicitation will get responses of all types...and actually, most solicitation will get ZERO response at all. In your case, this was not the one you hoped for. Move on as crying about it on the web takes away from the aura of awesomeness you have built with the long list of incredible achievements you listed in nice detail.
I agree, but in this case, this is a public official, whose job is to serve the needs of the tax paying citizens; a citizen should not be spoken down to in the matter described. He could easily been friendlier, and as a public cservant, he could have have given suggestions to the pilot as to how the pilot could addresss his concerns to the local leadership instead of berating him. This pilots case is in no way a "solicitation" for, or to, a private endeavor.

Reactions: kvc
I agree, but in this case, this is a public official, whose job is to serve the needs of the tax paying citizens; a citizen should not be spoken down to in the matter described. He could easily been friendlier, and as a public cservant, he could have have given suggestions to the pilot as to how the pilot could addresss his concerns to the local leadership instead of berating him. This pilots case is in no way a "solicitation" for, or to, a private endeavor.
I guess your definition of "talking down to" is quite a bit different than mine.

"Listen you loser, your mom never taught you to follow the rules and obviously you are too stupid to read the signs, so not only have I reported you to the police, but also reported your mom to the police as well."

vs

'JP – Obviously you disregarded our posted sign at the front gate prohibited the use of drones in our park. Do not do this again and you do not have permission from Westchester county to market this video."

The first is talking down...the second says, "Hey, you just sent me something showing you broke the laws of our park...don't do that and also don't market it." The obvious reason they don't want him to use it is because it would make others think it's ok to fly in the park when it's not. JP got off easy and as already mentioned, for having so many accomplishments that are worldly, he sure was awfully hurt over something so minor, that he had to share this petty drama on forums and social media.

NEXT:

He didn't solicit? Saying you are a professional with part 107 and that if they would like more footage, just call him...I know exactly how I would read that. It's actually hard to see it any other way. Here it is again: "if you'd like to document more of the ongoing progress and construction please contact via the information below. I'm a FAA licensed drone pilot and have worked as a video producer and director for the last thirty years for Fortune 500 companies, US Presidents, and foreign tourist bureaus." He doesn't say "sell" but reading a cold call message written like that sure looks exactly like so many solicitations do.

Last edited:
Reactions: its2loud
I guess your definition of "talking down to" is quite a bit different than mine.

"Listen you loser, your mom never taught you to follow the rules and obviously you are too stupid to read the signs, so not only have I reported you to the police, but also reported your mom to the police as well."

vs

'JP – Obviously you disregarded our posted sign at the front gate prohibited the use of drones in our park. Do not do this again and you do not have permission from Westchester county to market this video."

The first is talking down...the second says, "Hey, you just sent me something showing you broke the laws of our park...don't do that and also don't market it." The obvious reason they don't want him to use it is because it would make others think it's ok to fly in the park when it's not. JP got off easy and as already mentioned, for having so many accomplishments that are worldly, he sure was awfully hurt over something so minor, that he had to share this petty drama on forums and social media.

NEXT:

He didn't solicit? Saying you are a professional with part 107 and that if they would like more footage, just call him...I know exactly how I would read that. It's actually hard to see it any other way. Here it is again: "if you'd like to document more of the ongoing progress and construction please contact via the information below. I'm a FAA licensed drone pilot and have worked as a video producer and director for the last thirty years for Fortune 500 companies, US Presidents, and foreign tourist bureaus." He doesn't say "sell" but reading a cold call message written like that sure looks exactly like so many solicitations do.
As a citizen, the pilot has every right to discuss with the powrs that be, and express his thoughts and lobby and request the rules be modified or revised. No one should ever just stay with the status quo; we still have rights in the US to make changes to our laws and policies.

Reactions: kvc and jpbluzharp
As a citizen, the pilot has every right to discuss with the powrs that be, and express his thoughts and lobby and request the rules be modified or revised. No one should ever just stay with the status quo; we still have rights in the US to make changes to our laws and policies.

That usually happens before one breaks the law. I've never heard the argument in court that went "I'm sorry I broke the law your honor but these laws are just stupid in my opinion and they should be changed. Oh, and by the way, since I'm a professional bank robber, I'd be happy to rob another bank if you'd like me to.

Reactions: RedBully
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The guy is complaining that the park management sent him a letter saying, "you broke the law, don't do that, and don't use the footage". How in the world you came up with your response is beyond me as it doesn't have anything at all to do with the topic or my reply.

Honest question...when people send you letters soliciting you for their amazing services that you don't currently need, what do you do? What about when they call you? Me, I tell them flat out, I am on the do not call registry, take me off your list as you already broke the rules, and never call again.

In your case, you offered something they don't see as needed. That is the first issue...even if it really would benefit them (like so many salesmen swear you do when they cold call you), that does not mean they want it or will get it, or that they are even remotely interested in getting it from you as they may already have something else in the works. Also, along the way, you broke their rules. At the same time, you are just one more in a long line of solicitors that send them messages on a daily basis...only most don't break their rules getting there. For you to feel emotionally damaged enough to create a thread about this, yet you are man enough to have all of these accomplishments and world records...well...do you see what I'm getting at here? You make great videos...don't let this interaction turn you bitter, but instead sack up and learn from it. Solicitation will get responses of all types...and actually, most solicitation will get ZERO response at all. In your case, this was not the one you hoped for. Move on as crying about it on the web takes away from the aura of awesomeness you have built with the long list of incredible achievements you listed in nice detail.

An almost Trumpian response to an honest offer of exceptional services... gratis. Interesting.

Perhaps you should explain "sack it up"... Freudian? Or, typo? Either way that's pretty presumptuous don't you think?

When cynicism and curtness replace kindness, gentility and responsible citizenship... Society is in trouble.

My note began with a heartfelt thank you to the professionals who take care of my local park. To offer my ready made marketing piece for free was the least I could do for having enjoyed my time at a very small portion of that park. I'm quite familiar with the dearth of exciting marketing materials for our parks. They are typically stills accompanied by bland text that in no way distinguishes them from any others in the state. Hence my offer. I would also gladly aid in archiving any developments to the park... that's what appreciative people do out of the kindness of their hearts.

If you haven't seen the sign at the entrance to the park it might not be wise to rush to judgement on its placement, legibility or effectiveness at communicating the management's message. I missed it and I live ten minutes away.

Perhaps it would be wise to dial down the macho criticism. It's crude and certainly is no substitute for knowledgeable suggestion or meaningful debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: kvc
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The guy is complaining that the park management sent him a letter saying, "you broke the law, don't do that, and don't use the footage". How in the world you came up with your response is beyond me as it doesn't have anything at all to do with the topic or my reply.

This topic is getting out of hand. I never stated that what he did was legal; he admittedly said he did not see the sign and I'm sure he'll learn from that. My point he has rights to address the way he feels he was addressed, from a public official, as well as a method of addressing possible revisions to their policy. We should not be afraid to stand up for what we believe in, and, work thru and with our elected leaders to address our concerns. Enjoy flying.

An almost Trumpian response to an honest offer of exceptional services... gratis. Interesting.

Perhaps you should explain "sack it up"... Freudian? Or, typo? Either way that's pretty presumptuous don't you think?
Sack it up...GROW a pair and learn from your mistakes vs complaining on the internet about how someone told you NO.

Presumptuous? Let's take a walk back in this thread a few posts: "Having produced and directed commercials, industrials and documentaries for thirty years for U.S. Presidents, Foreign Nations, Fortune 500 Companies, and various charitable organizations as well as having two skydiving world records... " What's that last part again and what in the world does it have to do with anything except being presumptuous?

Again...you're pretty proud of what you've done and talk about it like a big man. But when you got told no, you run to the internet and create drama.

And "trumpian"??? Perhaps you should explain "trumpian"... Freudian? Or, typo? Either way that's pretty presumptuous don't you think? ;-)

Last edited:
Sack it up...GROW a pair and learn from your mistakes vs complaining on the internet about how someone told you NO.

Presumptuous? Let's take a walk back in this thread a few posts: "Having produced and directed commercials, industrials and documentaries for thirty years for U.S. Presidents, Foreign Nations, Fortune 500 Companies, and various charitable organizations as well as having two skydiving world records... " What's that last part again and what in the world does it have to do with anything except being presumptuous?

Again...you're pretty proud of what you've done and talk about it like a big man. But when you got told no, you run to the internet and create drama.

And "trumpian"??? Perhaps you should explain "trumpian"... Freudian? Or, typo? Either way that's pretty presumptuous don't you think? ;-)

I actually responded back to the manager immediately informing him of the Class G airspace above his park. I also asked if smartphones, cameras, or consumer electronics of any kind are prohibited in the park. He never wrote back.

As to my own accomplishments.. I'm just stating my credentials and reasoning as to why I don't have to "sell" my services to a local park. They couldn't afford it. That is in no way presumptuous.

pre·sump·tu·ous
\pri-ˈzəm(p)-chə-wəs, -chəs, -shəs\
adjective
  • : too confident especially in a way that is rude :done or made without permission, right, or goodreason
Full Definition
  • : overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy) : taking liberties
There are always lessons to be learned.

I actually responded back to the manager immediately informing him of the Class G airspace above his park. I also asked if smartphones, cameras, or consumer electronics of any kind are prohibited in the park. He never wrote back.

As to my own accomplishments.. I'm just stating my credentials and reasoning as to why I don't have to "sell" my services to a local park. They couldn't afford it. That is in no way presumptuous.

pre·sump·tu·ous
adjective
  • : too confident especially in a way that is rude :done or made without permission, right, or goodreason
Full Definition

Jp. I agree with you 110%

Reactions: kvc and jpbluzharp

pre·sump·tu·ous
adjective
Full Definition

as well as having two skydiving world records...

They couldn't afford it...

;-)

Reactions: jpbluzharp
I think someone should close this thread. There has been zero acknowledgement from the original author of any wrong doing and the debate could conceivably go on for weeks, months, years. I'd like to just end it by saying that the posting of the definition of "presumptuous" by the original author is absolute irony in its fullest form.

Reactions: RedBully
I think someone should close this thread. There has been zero acknowledgement from the original author of any wrong doing and the debate could conceivably go on for weeks, months, years. I'd like to just end it by saying that the posting of the definition of "presumptuous" by the original author is absolute irony in its fullest form.
I will give this thread a break till I can read it all and reopen it if I see any life left in the horse .
CLOSED

Reactions: DB Cooper
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun