DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping batteries topped up

Search and rescue (SAR) drones assist in the location of people in distress or potential danger, or vessels that may be lost at sea or unable to maneuver. SAR drones and lifeguard drones may be deployed in the aftermath of a disaster, or to search vast or difficult terrain such as wilderness and mountainous regions.

I've been reading, all over the place, that the batteries should be discharged down to between 25% and 60%, when not in use, to prevent damage. Is this not true if the batteries will automatically discharge?
Yes, most people let the auto discharge feature bring the batteries down to the storage level. There's no need to manually bring them down to that level.

Once at that level, you should maintain the batteries like this -- especially important when not using them for some time.

Yes, most people let the auto discharge feature bring the batteries down to the storage level. There's no need to manually bring them down to that level.

Once at that level, you should maintain the batteries like this -- especially important when not using them for some time.
I see. I've been manually bringing them down.

So - there's no harm in having them at 100% and bleeding down over the course of several days?

So - there's no harm in having them at 100% and bleeding down over the course of several days?
Nope. That's how they were designed to be used. And you'd ideally charge your batteries to 100% shortly before flying and then actually use the batteries.

I fully charged 3 batteries a few days ago and placed them into the battery charging unit. They don't appear to be discharging. Still at 4 solid lights several days later.

What's up with that?

Ponz

Which drone do you have? Some allow for the days to begin discharge to be changed, but for Mavic 3 that discharge happens in 10 days. If you touch the button to peek at the charge level it resets that timer.

I fully charged 3 batteries a few days ago and placed them into the battery charging unit
Why did you place them in the battery charging unit if you want them to discharge?

Check out the image I shared from the Mini 2 manual above. It states the batteries will start to discharge when idle for 9 days. Both powering on the battery and pressing the battery button will likely reset that 9 day period.

Reactions: Ponz
Check out the image I shared from the Mini 2 manual above. It states the batteries will start to discharge when idle for 9 days. Both powering on the battery and pressing the battery button will likely reset that 9 day period.
Ah! That's where I went wrong. I've been occasionally pressing the button on the charging bank to check the battery levels!

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid