DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kentucky Drone Flyers, Outings & Clubs

Can anyone tell me if there are restrictions on flying drones in Red River Gorge?

June 15th 2018 - Thanks for the advice! Here is some drone and other video I shot at the Gorge on Saturday June 9th:

Last edited:
I've flown there a few times with no problem. I believe it is generally just National Parks that have the restriction. National Recreation areas; RRG, Big South Fork are not restricted.
State Parks in Kentucky are generally cool. I've flown at Cumberland Falls, Dale Hollow, KY Dam Village, Barkley Lodge and Kenlake with no issues.

Reactions: Moon4Drone
I've flown there a few times with no problem. I believe it is generally just National Parks that have the restriction. National Recreation areas; RRG, Big South Fork are not restricted.
State Parks in Kentucky are generally cool. I've flown at Cumberland Falls, Dale Hollow, KY Dam Village, Barkley Lodge and Kenlake with no issues.
Thanks Marc....I had a blast at the Gorge! -

Reactions: KyWEGO
Yes.... RRG allows drones as long as it's in the National Forest area. Be careful you're not in a "Wilderness Area" as they are prohibited there. I've flown on Rock Bridge Trail. They've got some neat falls there (Creation Falls), and that is just on the border of the Wilderness area.
National and State Parks are generally prohibited for flying, but I see a lot of Cumberland Falls videos which I believe is a State Park, so not entirely sure about that.

I typically fly near Springhurst Rd. & Hays Kennedy Park is another good east end spot.
Don't over analyze. Watch some YouTube videos, keep it in Beginner Mode and don't be freaked out by all the threads on flyaways. Practice until you become comfortable with flying loopy, smooth figure 8's. I got a cheapie indoor quad micro-drone to fly when the weather is bad and I think it has helped my ability to control the MP. NEVER fly your MP indoors (it was my first instinct when I got mine and it was raining for 4 days).
One caution: everyone in Louisville seems to want to talk about the drone. I always say "give me a minute to get this back down and I'll answer any questions you have". Most of the time they will watch and wait patiently so that I can pay close attention to my bird. The times I have been distracted have been the most harrowing. Stay focused on your thousand dollar toy.
i agreed with you about your analyzes
thank you for analyze
Best regards
HostGator DreamHost Bluehost

Last edited:
Live in the Louisville area. Have a few drones and a few motorcycles. looking to explore with both.

I am out in the country outside of Danville, Kentucky and in the fall our local AMA club has a fly in at the Danville airport that is open to drones as well for a fee if you are not a member which is always cool. When I get more info later in the summer I will have to post it.

In Louisville, Shelby County. Just got first drone this weekend, DJI mini 2, even though was sorely tempted by the new power vision egg due to the waterproof casing and float arms to land on water. (Paddler) Also interested in getting my small antique motorcycles back on road. (Yamaha Exciter SR185 and Honda Trail 90's. Im short) Turns out my first choice of flight, around Speed museum and its sculpture, is a no fly zone due to being so close to airport. Might try Longview Park this week. Lots of ponds/small lakes open space in my neighborhood due to golf course.

In Louisville, Shelby County. Just got first drone this weekend, DJI mini 2, even though was sorely tempted by the new power vision egg due to the waterproof casing and float arms to land on water. (Paddler) Also interested in getting my small antique motorcycles back on road. (Yamaha Exciter SR185 and Honda Trail 90's. Im short) Turns out my first choice of flight, around Speed museum and its sculpture, is a no fly zone due to being so close to airport. Might try Longview Park this week. Lots of ponds/small lakes open space in my neighborhood due to golf course.
I’m looking for felow flyers to hook up with

East end here. Also member of the Facebook group. Seeing if anyone else wants to fly soemtime. I fly for fun I don’t ever have a objective when I go out. I do get shots and film here and there. Hope to meet others that enjoy it too. Not about having the best and expensive drone. Message me or Snapchat me oodev.aoo
My line up:
Mini 2 X2
Mini Se X2
A2S X1
Currently being ordered, Dji Fpv. (Held off untill I was able to buy the drone, and be able to buy many batteries with it. I find that batteries is the most important thing, I have every accessory known for the drones, and in the end I don’t use anything. Regret not spending that money towards batteries,

OK, so I might as well start up a thread for those of us in and near KY.

Quick Intro: I live in Louisville, KY, and am looking for others who are flying drones (doesn't have to be the Mavic) around my area. I ride motorcycles and travel a lot on them, which is why I got the Mavic. We can even include Southern Indiana as well - they're close enough.

Please list your name/info and if you know of any clubs or organizations who meet up and fly regularly or whatever. I am just trying to get some more localized dialog started up.
I recently bought a DJI mini 2. I live in Lexington ky and am interested in finding others who fly drones.

I am in louisville as well with a mini 2 and mini se would love to find others for more locations to fly and other stuff. Totally email me if you decide to start a group I know there’s a local Facebook group for drones that is active and has a good community but nothing other than that, would love to start and grow one too and have our own. Or just get together for fun email me [email protected]

I'm in Central KY for the time being. Lot's of cool distilleries (I'm trying to shoot the entire bourbon trail), lakes, rivers and horse farms - and a fake castle. I'd like to fly around UKY but there are several rescue helicopters that come in low and fast - it seems a little dangerous.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone