DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kids throwing Stones at Drones

I wish that, when people say things like this, that they mention the location where such photography is forbidden.

Chris
I agree. Good grief. It was clear this was either his private property or a public area where he was allowed to fly. In any event there's no prohibition on taking pictures of people, including kids, in general in the US. Frankly, US law is a lot more lenient than that (although things vary somewhat state by state as far as privacy laws, states can't make their own laws due to the Bill of Rights to a large extent and federal preemption). If anyone ever gets sued or prosecuted for something like this please send me a private message and I will refer you to a good lawyer in your jurisdiction who will defend you and, most likely, get attorneys' fees back from whomever tries to sue or prosecute you.

If these had been my kids I'd appreciate your letting me know what they were doing.

I love my drone as much as anyone --- but posting photos of minors on a public-shaming site like Nextdoor (and now Mavic-Pilots) is downright shameful and creepy --- and you could be brought up on charges in certain states for unlawfully posting photos of underage kids without consent from their parents.

Just a heads up so you can avoid jail time.

Where are you from? This is not going to get anyone in jail in the US. Or if it does, that person would win a huge federal lawsuit for a civil rights violation for being put in jail for something absolutely legal. And yes, I am a lawyer, as well as a Part 61 pilot, not to mention a Part 107 UAV pilot. I don't tend to give legal advice here but as far as your comment, you are 100% incorrect as far as it relates to the US.

Last edited:
Where are you from? This is not going to get anyone in jail in the US. Or if it does, that person would win a huge federal lawsuit for a civil rights violation for being put in jail for something absolutely legal.

I sign in on the Fourth of July as a Gulf War veteran with PTSD being called out as being a “creep,” kinda ruins my day.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Maviac
I sign in on the Fourth of July as a Gulf War veteran with PTSD being called out as being a “creep,” kinda ruins my day.
I hear you. I didn't serve, but my brother did (and my grandfather) and is dealing with the same thing (as did my grandfather, I'm pretty sure, before there was a term for it) and I salute you.

Reactions: Amarand
That flight, GPS showed 100% over my property. Shooting landscape and pond. Got lucky capturing them mid-throw.
I didn't even remember you were the OP. Sorry. Regardless, you were, 100% in the right (which would also be true even if you weren't over your own property).

Last edited:
Jeez it always has to be the freckled ginger starting trouble?

I kid i kid

That “Let kids be kids” phrase keeps creeping back in. If I was the OP the cops would have been notified without a doubt. I’ll grant you the “kids will be kids” thing if you acknowledge that “Ticked off drone owners who don’t want some spoiled brats trying to destroy their property” will be “Ticked off drone owners who don’t want some spoiled brats trying to destroy their property”.?
I have crappy neighbors on one side and have learned it is best to nip it in the bud early by letting the authorities take care of any problems that are big enough to worry about. You can end up being the bad guy when trying to deal with neighbor issues yourself if you are not careful.

Reactions: DoomMeister
@Maviac
Pretty sure wars even older than WWI produced similar effects on people (with different names) but if we consider WWI as the entry in the modern warfare, I guess, Shell Shock is one of the earliest. Absolutely no doubt that continous situations like artillery fire for days can break everyone and everything - All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque still shows that after so many centuries.

@Maviac
Pretty sure wars even older than WWI produced similar effects on people (with different names) but if we consider WWI as the entry in the modern warfare, I guess, Shell Shock is one of the earliest. Absolutely no doubt that continous situations like artillery fire for days can break everyone and everything - All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque still shows that after so many centuries.
Of course. I was just referring to the term (or any term) itself.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The last sentence though is what I personally feel (in my surrounding) seldomly happens - also children need to know, that their actions have consequences. It's not always necessary to take them or to handle them down to the last dot and comma, but they need to get the feeling, that everything they do may cause reactions. Action - reaction.

Often parents unfortunately have not enough time for their minors and in busy times, you sometimes get the impression by 3rd parties, that all you have, are rights, rights, rights. But you have responsibilities too and they are often neglected, because, carefully taught, they need time again.

It's part of learning to grow up too - and most certainly kids don't think about too much what is tomorrow ...
All fair enough, let children be children but slowly engage them, to consider the Golden Rule step by step

Making sure kids learn their valuable life lessons is a very complex discussion not suitable for a drone forum, but I get your point.

The idea of a child's entire life from age 0 to 18 being permanently recorded on social media and other "shaming" sites like Nextdoor is a very sad use of technology, and it's going to cause a lot of psychological damage for generations going forward. The whole point of childhood is to make a lot of stupid mistakes and then learn from it so you can be a wiser adult. I could list a litany of childhood pranks and "naughty stuff" I did back in the 80's as a ***** and rambuctious teen while hanging out with all my *****, rambuctious buddies and some of it would qualify as criminal or morally reprehensible, but the bottom line is that I did that stuff and eventually became an adult and learned the error of my ways without suffering every day of the rest of my life with somebody posting a photo or Tweet of my childhood shenanigans.

Kids are people, folks --- stop worrying about your little plastic flying toy and instead just chuckle at all the goofy weird stuff kids do and move on with your life. That's how my parents looked at me and my friends and all the rowdy stuff we got into, and we all turned out fine and didnt need tattletale websites to constantly remind us of dumb things we did 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

Last edited:
I have crappy neighbors on one side and have learned it is best to nip it in the bud early by letting the authorities take care of any problems that are big enough to worry about. You can end up being the bad guy when trying to deal with neighbor issues yourself if you are not careful.

Generally, I agree this is the right way to deal with prickly situations like this. If I threw rocks at somebody's RC helicopter back in the 80's when I was a wild and rambunctious kid, then I'd likely get the local sheriff deputy knocking on my parents' door and that means I'm getting a lecture and grounded and that's how I learn my lesson. Punishment is served without being publicly shamed for the whole world to see.

The modern day scourge of using public forums like Nextdoor or Twitter or Facebook to shame people is a very sad indictment of the kind of society we've become. I call it the "Crybaby Culture" where you crave attention for your selfish crybaby needs --- instead of just dealing with adverse situations in private like we always used to do. Shaming the neighbor kids because they threw a couple rocks at your little plastic flying toy is a special kind of scum-baggery, if you ask me. Let's get back to the old ways, folks --- where our society wasnt full of self-centered crybabies craving attention for all the wrong reasons!

Generally, I agree this is the right way to deal with prickly situations like this. If I threw rocks at somebody's RC helicopter back in the 80's when I was a wild and rambunctious kid, then I'd likely get the local sheriff deputy knocking on my parents' door and that means I'm getting a lecture and grounded and that's how I learn my lesson. Punishment is served without being publicly shamed for the whole world to see.

The modern day scourge of using public forums like Nextdoor or Twitter or Facebook to shame people is a very sad indictment of the kind of society we've become. I call it the "Crybaby Culture" where you crave attention for your selfish crybaby needs --- instead of just dealing with adverse situations in private like we always used to do. Shaming the neighbor kids because they threw a couple rocks at your little plastic flying toy is a special kind of scum-baggery, if you ask me. Let's get back to the old ways, folks --- where our society wasnt full of self-centered crybabies craving attention for all the wrong reasons!
I would not have have put the photos on social media, but not because It would be wrong, just in my opinion not effective in dealing with the problem. The kids would probably just share the photos with their friends to brag. To imply the OP is guilty of “scum-baggery” is absurd. If there is any shame, the kids shamed themselves(or parents) by throwing projectiles at a neighbor’s Valuable property. They just happened to get caught red handed and local neighbors were alerted to that . In addition, UAV’s are little and plastic but they are not toys, if you disagree ask the FAA. Regardless of anyone’s position on any of the particulars of this situation, the call to the authorities seems to be the way to go. I think most do agree that the kids should be held accountable for their actions.:)

Thanks for your service brother.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer