DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kind of shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

FASTFJR

Reactions
By the amount of flying done in National Parks and then posted on YT. My wife and are going out to Vegas in October and I want to take a day trip to Death Valley. For the heck of it I went to YT and did a search for "Drone flying in National Parks" or something like that. I was shocked at the amount of videos posted from flying in National Parks in the last year, last couple months. Looks like a lot of people just don't care

Reactions: Classic flyer
By the amount of flying done in National Parks and then posted on YT. My wife and are going out to Vegas in October and I want to take a day trip to Death Valley. For the heck of it I went to YT and did a search for "Drone flying in National Parks" or something like that. I was shocked at the amount of videos posted from flying in National Parks in the last year, last couple months. Looks like a lot of people just don't care
That and the fact that the "DOG HAS NO TEETH"...just saying...you and your wife have a safe trip and good time!

If I see a drone flying in a National Park, I'll do what I can to help the Park Service bring charges. We can help them prosecute with cell phone videos, noting vehicle descriptions and license plates and descriptions of the "pilot" if observed.

If I see a drone flying in a National Park, I'll do what I can to help the Park Service bring charges. We can help them prosecute with cell phone videos, noting vehicle descriptions and license plates and descriptions of the "pilot" if observed.
With ‘friends’ like you, who needs enemies! :p

It's drone drivers policeing there own hobby...if more people did it we wouldn't need all the "drone laws"
This.

I've a friend who lives in Germany near the Dutch border. He enjoys an evening out smoking pot occasionally and so he and some friends would drive to Roermond NL. Over time many Germans became less and less considerate of the Dutch whom they were the guests of. My buddy and a bunch of others formed an organization to get folks who visited The Netherlands to behave for fear that they would loose their privileges there. Many straightened up but enough didn't that the Dutch gov't instituted a Dutch-Only policy for going in cafés near the borders. This fixed the problems the Dutch were having but at the expense of a lot of others.

This could, and likely will, happen with drones if the drone community doesn't police itself.

This.

I've a friend who lives in Germany near the Dutch border. He enjoys an evening out smoking pot occasionally and so he and some friends would drive to Roermond NL. Over time many Germans became less and less considerate of the Dutch whom they were the guests of. My buddy and a bunch of others formed an organization to get folks who visited The Netherlands to behave for fear that they would loose their privileges there. Many straightened up but enough didn't that the Dutch gov't instituted a Dutch-Only policy for going in cafés near the borders. This fixed the problems the Dutch were having but at the expense of a lot of others.

This could, and likely will, happen with drones if the drone community doesn't police itself.
Only takes a few to screw it up for everyone else...well said!

the people that fly in these parks are searching for attention thats why they put them on utube, when u search and watch u are giving them exactly what they want,,,,,,, some attention, if u dont like to see the vids people post, simply dont search then,,,,,,,,,, plain and simple

Good lord- Go get em Columbo- I assume you wanted to be a cop but did not pass the exams correct? Get a life

Fly safe, fly controlled, fly with respect to others - I don’t see the problem with that! And the YouTube argument uses a VERY broad brush to paint EVERYONE that flies in National Parks as glory hunters! I find that very hard to believe!

It still amazes me that people attempt to fly drones from the National Mall in D.C..

Reminds me of the guy tased for flying at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

Sorry wrong link...this one!

Last edited:
Sooo...... I actually live in the borders of a National Park on private property with private property around me.

I had a long talk with the ranger in charge (he had actually been a ranger at parks where people did stupid things) about the rules. His view was that if I am flying above private property, I was fine.

That has enabled me to get quite a few nice pictures....

That does not mean that I am not careful as heck when flying.

I am going to go out on the lake next to the park (owned by the local Native American tribe) with a tribal member on his boat to get some footage of a blowdown further up the valley next week.

Just staying out of the National Park borders though...

Also... I am also a licensed Amateur Radio operator and understand the concept of self policing within a hobby and agree with it.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you take off and land from outside the National Park, then you are within the boundaries of the law since only the FAA can make rules determining the use of airspace.
That's a great question and I believe(not certain) that you are correct

The laws against flying in national parks seemed like a pretty knee-jerk reaction in the first place. If I saw someone flying responsibly in a national park, I’d pay it no mind, I certainly wouldn’t try to get that person in trouble.

And the idea that people are just seeking attention by posting YouTube videos of flying in national parks is silly. National parks are pretty places and people enjoy making videos of pretty places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada