DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KPLC 7NEWS: Drone operators required to have Remote ID by Sept. 16

Seems to be a mostly accurate story.

Your thoughts? Are we missing something noteworthy?
I don't really see a lot of other news stories to compare it to...just one other that was a bit more precise and detailed. The deadline notwithstanding, I believe drone flyers and the drone hobby deserve more accurate and informative stories when speaking to the general public. Matters not much to me if the deadline changes and the news is not updated or corrected but the message about needing a new "ID" and the overall tone that all drones will need this is just a tad bit sloppy.

I understand it's a time-limited news story, not a science project, and the law is not easy to understand if you don't live and breathe it everyday so there's that. But they found time to mention that the public will be able to track drones using an app but as you know, probably half (or more) of the drones flying in the public probably won't be able to be tracked. I'm also not happy with the message the RID is needed to improve safety and security.

As we get closer to the date, if there are more news stories in the mainstream media, I hope they can be a bit more precise and more accurate in their context and maybe point out that smaller lightweight drones are exempt and maybe refer to it as remote identification and not some sort of new ID which recreational drones pilots are not going to have an ID. You don't need an ID to fly a drone.

Just nitpicking here but maybe they could have left out the comment about "gives us the ability to fly without having to go thru many years of school" which might give the impression that we are untrained and taking shortcuts. I know what he meant but most may not. Anyway, that's my opinion on just one video.

I just wish the Module Manufacturers would be able to keep up with the sudden demand.
Me too. I had hoped we would have a dozen modules of all shapes and sizes and costs to choose from. As a recreational pilot only needing one to rotate with, I could have bought 2 or 3 depending on the selection. Instead, I actually ended up with....nothing.

For now, stay tuned...

For now, stay tuned...
Why can't the FAA just make a decision on this and stick to it? What's the holdup? Are they going to have meetings on it until the 11th hour? I can see it now - they'll be having a meeting that goes until midnight September 15th... geez

They have absolutely NO choice but to delay. They dropped the ball on how many RID units would be needed and how they would be supplied. Typical for the FAA.

I think it is more likely that it was assumed that DJI (among others) would be able to make firmware updates that would enable RID on the drones...I know I asked about RID here on the forum last March and all the responses I get were to wait for DJI to make the announcements and update my firmware......it never happened...so the FAA was not the only one caught off guard.
Overall, if you consider the range and scope of the responsibility of the FAA, they are actually quite well run and organized.....I wish they had the authority to make airports have a clean area to sit down and put your shoes back on after going through that preflight check on commercial flights 😂

Reactions: RangerEd
Hard to believe any “factual” statements from a media source.
And that goes for ALL media sources.

I'll go by what the FAA says - if they ever get around to saying anything. I don't have an rid module for my legacy drones, and not worried about it... what a joke.

I have been waiting and waiting for something affordable for my MA2 but havent seen anything worth the money. Crap part is, I can't even renew my registration because it wants id's and crap that I don't have because nothing affordable has really come out that doesnt require some DIY ugliness. I refuse to just smack on some ugly module to my drone with a separate power source. Not happening. DJI has dropped that ball on addressing this issue for MA2 owners after saying oh we might do it via firmware, we might not, yada yada yada. Come out with a solution for us and we might be more willing to follow this stupid *** law.

I have been waiting and waiting for something affordable for my MA2 but havent seen anything worth the money. Crap part is, I can't even renew my registration because it wants id's and crap that I don't have because nothing affordable has really come out that doesnt require some DIY ugliness. I refuse to just smack on some ugly module to my drone with a separate power source. Not happening. DJI has dropped that ball on addressing this issue for MA2 owners after saying oh we might do it via firmware, we might not, yada yada yada. Come out with a solution for us and we might be more willing to follow this stupid *** law.
I don't know if this still works but it used to work a couple of weeks ago when I successfully renewed. If you choose NO when it asks for RID, you should be able to proceed. As of today, you shouldn't be force to report RID details so just answer No, do your renewal, and revisit it later if you need to.

I don't know if this still works but it used to work a couple of weeks ago when I successfully renewed. If you choose NO when it asks for RID, you should be able to proceed. As of today, you shouldn't be force to report RID details so just answer No, do your renewal, and revisit it later if you need to.
Thanks I will go try this right now. I tried earlier this year and don't remember seeing a no option, maybe they changed it. I'll let you know if it still works.

So yeah, that worked! I remember before it was not giving me an option to say no, as it was just a field that required the Id number with an asterisk saying it was required or something like that. Anyways, good for another 3 years on that front at least. Thanks!

Reactions: mavic3usa

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin