DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC time limit

I am not sure it is a good idea.

You would think there would be a limit on the number of pilots you can have in one area.

By asking a duration of 12 hrs, when you are only use 1 as an example, could it restrict more users to use the same area?

Now with that said, you have to wonder why we can put a duration of flight, when to the FAA eyes, we are good to go for 12 hrs...

Last edited:
Can you cite your source stating that the time frames selected when submitting an authorization through LAANC aren't important?
Well, that was really my original question, in reverse: what’s the basis (or citation) for saying it matters for anything but my personal flight planning? The FAA says 12 hours so why shouldn’t we believe them.

That said, when I first started using LAANC I ran into an ATC at a social event and we were talking about it. He said they just get a notification for a 12-hour block on all auto authorizations. That’s anecdotal and worth the price of this sentence, but it makes sense, given what the FAA says about it. I don’t really care if AirMap only thinks I’m flying for an hour if the FAA has authorized me for 12.

That said, not trying to be argumentative on this, but that seems to be the clear rule, although I do follow your advice and request for the period I may reasonably fly, and have gotten separate authorizations within that 12-hour window before. If there is any source saying the FAA’s authorization period is abrogated by the provider’s flight planning tool, I’d like to see it.

Now with that said, you have to wonder why we can put a duration of flight, when to the FAA eyes, we are good to go for 12 hrs...
That’s my point. The FAA is the only entity that matters. My understanding is that the duration period is not submitted to the FAA and is only a flight planning tool within whatever app you’re using (although AirMap will decline to send the request if the duration causes the flight to go past civil twilight, which is also why always requesting 12 hours might not be a good idea).

I do renewable 30 day approvals through FAA Drone Zone often when LAANC is not available, as is the case for Chandler Regional, a larger private airport about 4.7 miles from my most frequent local flying area. I found them responsive and helpful. They even send reminders for clearance, which can last up to 30 days on a single application... only took about 24-36 hrs to get. I can fly any time I want. See below:
D55A0A18-DE43-423E-99AD-C569A4F458BC.png

That’s my point. The FAA is the only entity that matters. My understanding is that the duration period is not submitted to the FAA and is only a flight planning tool within whatever app you’re using (although AirMap will decline to send the request if the duration causes the flight to go past civil twilight, which is also why always requesting 12 hours might not be a good idea).

good point, we'll see. i will find it most useful when i plan to fly later in the day and i just don't know when i'll start. i can send it for now until now plus 12 and then i can start whenever i get there.

that's what happens when you live so far away from where you have to fly.

I am not sure it is a good idea.

You would think there would be a limit on the number of pilots you can have in one area.

By asking a duration of 12 hrs, when you are only use 1 as an example, could it restrict more users to use the same area?

right, there's a bunch of drone pilots fighting for the same limited airspace...in what world? :)

trust me, i'm not taking anybody's slot. lol

That said, when I first started using LAANC I ran into an ATC at a social event and we were talking about it. He said they just get a notification for a 12-hour block on all auto authorizations. That’s anecdotal and worth the price of this sentence, but it makes sense, given what the FAA says about it. I don’t really care if AirMap only thinks I’m flying for an hour if the FAA has authorized me for 12.
So, you're giving advice based on a conversation you had with someone at a social event? When possible (like in this case), it would be better to reference an official FAA document.

Per the LAANC USS Operating Rules:

"Recreational authorizations are provided via LAANC in accordance with 49 U.S.C. § 44809. LAANC supports only the auto-approved type for recreational authorizations. USSs may opt to include this type in their service offerings.

When recreational authorizations in accordance with 49 U.S.C. § 44809 are provided, the USS must [3.6a] generate, display, and store the following text (including the context-dependent information shown in brackets):

“[LAANC Reference Code / FAA Facility Code, Start Date & Time – End Date & Time, Max Alt numft]: In accordance with 49 USC 44809(a)(5), your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and timeframe constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures. This Authorization is subject to cancellation at any time upon notice by the FAA Administrator or his/her authorized representative. This Authorization does not constitute a waiver of any State law or local ordinance. [Name of operator] is the person designated as responsible for the overall safety of UAS operations under this Authorization. During UAS operations for on-site communication/recall, [name of operator] shall be continuously available for direct contact at [contact phone number] by ATC or designated representative. [Name of operator] is responsible to check the airspace in which the UAS will be operated and comply with all restrictions that may be present in accordance with 44809(a)(5), such as restricted and prohibited airspace, temporary flight restrictions, etc. This authorization is subject to the following conditions: (1) operations are not authorized in Class E surface area airspace when there is a weather ceiling less than 1,000 feet AGL; (2) if the UAS loses communications or loses its GPS signal, it must return to a predetermined location within the operating area and land; and (3) the person manipulating the controls of the UAS must abort the flight in the event of unpredicted obstacles or emergencies.”

“Start Date & Time” and “End Date & Time” must [3.6b] unambiguously include the year, month, day, hour, minute, and time zone (or UTC). The USS must [3.6c] provide a method for quick access to the operation-specific authorization information (including text above) in a form that could be produced by the operator to authorities if necessary.

We can learn a few things from this information:
  • Airmap (and other USS) are collecting the start/end date and time because they are required to do so by the FAA.

• The flight is only allowed to take place within the entered time frame.

So let me see if I understand this correctly? You apply for the clearance via AirMap and it comes to your android phone. When the clearance comes in it is good for 12 hours most likely. Then do I need to do anything on my remote controller? If the phone isn't linked to my controller does that create a problem? Is there any other info required to input like drone registration #?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_