DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing and turning off obsticale avoidance and RTH

Reactions
I was in a park and had to take off from an overlook that was in a canopy of tree coverage. I took off about 8 feet. Home point was recorded. I then flew out through the canopy with the alarms going off but the drone did not stop. I then flew and started to return home at about 25-30%. I really was not that far from the drone. As I attempted to bring the drone in I had to position the drone to make it through the opening under the trees. Just as I was bringing it in the drone started fighting me and then wanted to return to home. Returning to home would have meant the drone was going to go over the trees and then attempt to land through the trees. I was in a panic. I touched the x on the screen to cancel the return to home but it would not respond. I was trying out the crystalsky Ultra which I have found out has lots of issues with the touch screen among many other issues. Through sheer luck I somehow got the drone to stop returning to home. I got to the point the controller was like screaming at me that it was going to die with what little juice it had left. Finally I was able to fly it back in and land. My hands were trembling.

I had a similar situation when I needed to manually land on the bow of my sailboat. There are lots of rigging that makes landing a challenge . I almost had the drone on the deck when it when into a return to home and started the assent. I quickly had to navigate left to avoid a collision. This went on for several minutes. Finally the drone hit the lifeline. I miraculously grabbed the drone and saved it from landing in the water. MY finger was cut but I still had my drone.

My takeaway is to plan for the types of flights and the landing that is required. Before finally landing I should have hovered in a safe spot and turned off obstacle avoidance and RTH.

What are others thoughts or experiences

Here is the final flight I was able to capture

Reactions: o0motorhead0o
My takeaway is to plan for the types of flights and the landing that is required. Before finally landing I should have hovered in a safe spot and turned off obstacle avoidance and RTH.

What are others thoughts or experiences

Firstly, that video was so excellent that I watched it twice.

In regard to obstacle avoidance, I would certainly disable it prior to launch under the circumstances you described. Not sure what should be done to prevent automatic RTH when the battery gets low - maybe set the threshold to 10% instead of the default 30%?

While flying under a tree canopy I set Smart RTH (due to low battery) to off and RTH on signal loss to Hover and fly appropriately. The last thing you want under a tree canopy is for any kind of RTH to take place. There probably isn’t a clear direct path back to a home point and flying up to an RTH altitude is just going to give you a world of pain!

Reactions: deleted member 877
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin