DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing in a boat

I just paddled the canoe into a weed bed for each take of and landing.
I had to really Zoom in to find you (with companion) in your canoe. Almost dead center, twelve o'clock, one quarter the way down. Great shot.

But one piece of advice, do not watch the ecological horror thriller film "Gaia," it features two forest rangers, in a canoe, using a DJI Mavic Mini series Drone, and I'll say no more… other than if you watch it, it might be the last time you take your little bird out to play…

Great Shot, Glad you made it home safe…

1683402465499.jpeg
I use the ski type landing gear which makes hand launch and land easy and safe. The gear is very light, very cheap and can be fitted or removed in seconds.
For hand landing I fly the drone to about 1.5 metres in front of me and about 0.5 m above my head height. When it is settled into a hover I step forward and reach up to hold the drone gently by the landing gear and stop the motors by pushing the left stick down to the bottom. If you change to Sport Mode shortly beforehand the avoidance sensors are disabled (on the MA2 anyway).
I have used this method on my boat a number of times (on a river).
I await eagerly the posts explaining how wrong I am to land this way but it works for me…

Last edited:
I think your skids are a great idea. Keeps your fingers further from the propellers and allows you to still land if you want to do that instead. There is a difference in flying from a moving boat vs a relatively stationary boat. When the boat is moving, you have to fly it to the back of the boat (always the back) and snatch it out of the sky as it approaches the boat. If something goes wrong, just let it come to a hover and it will harmlessly separate from the boat and you can try again.

View attachment 163761
I use the ski type landing gear which makes hand launch and land easy and safe. The gear is very light, very cheap and can be fitted or removed in seconds.
For hand landing I fly the drone to about 1.5 metres in front of me and about 0.5 m above my head height. When it is settled into a hover I step forward and reach up to hold the drone gently by the landing gear and stop the motors by pushing the left stick down to the bottom. If you change to Sport Mode shortly beforehand the avoidance sensors are disabled (on the MA2 anyway).
I have used this method on my boat a number of times (on a river).
I await eagerly the posts explaining how wrong I am to land this way but it works for me…

If you have access to a 3d printer, there are endless variations on landing gear. ( Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse ) If I did this often, I would be tempted by a float kit: https://www.amazon.com/Landing-Damping-Training-Floating-Accessories/dp/B081L59KZM Not to land on the water on purpose, but as a recovery backup plan.

Good luck!

Reactions: LoudThunder
We prefer the Rescue Jacket as it will of course compromise your flight time but it will not mess with your ability to fly in the wind because of it stream line approach.

The Rescue Jackets provide one of the safest ways to protect you and your drone on a boat.
We use it on a Jet Ski and can snatch the drone right out of the sky on a drive by.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Screenshot 09-05-2020 15.22.06.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore