DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing when RTH is requested .

Ron B

Reactions
Have been flying the Mavic for two months and this is the first time I had this issue? When you request return to home either by the button on the controller or on the display touchscreen it lands immediately. Always made sure that the return to home location was updated before take off, the landing can be stopped by use of the pause button and it may land properly the second time you try it. This gives me cause for concern, if it is out of sight the only way back would be by the camera view. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Reactions: northovers
How far away was your Mavic from the home point?

About 200 feet away and 60 foot in altitude. I was aware that it would not go to return to home altitude at that distance but I thought he would return to the GPS recorded location. This is the first time I experienced this and I have many hours on it.

Did you check out your flight log to see if it explains what happened? You can upload it and view it online here.

It will only land where it is if RTH is triggered within 5m of the RTH point. If triggered between 5M and 20M from RTH point, there are a couple rules per the manual (NOTE, all the below text is if RTH is triggered between 5 and 20M from home)

If RTH, including Smart RTH and Low Battery RTH, is triggered between 5m and 20m from the home point, and Forward Vision System is activated:
  1. If aircraft's current altitude is greater than 10m, the aircraft will return to the home point at the current altitude.
  2. If aircraft's current altitude is lower than 10m, the aircraft will first automatically ascend to 10m from the current altitude.
The flight speed will be adjusted to 9mph. The aircraft will start landing immediately if the Forward Vision System is deactivated. When entering Failsafe RTH, the Forward Vision System status is evaluated and RTH will adapt accordingly.

--end text

When too close it lands right where it is.

Can anyone explain the technical reason why this is? This screwed me up the first time I flew, after reading the manual cover to cover, I missed this one and it came down in some bushes 5m from home point without damage. I was unable to stop it with any stick command.

I would say it's so you have a way to do an automatic landing straight from the controller (without mobile device). Pressing either RTH again or the pause button stops the landing, and you can fine tune it with the sticks during descent.

Thank you everyone for your input, I think one thing is for sure if you use the RTH somewhere in the 20 m distance area you could have this issue. I have never had a problem when the drone is further out and I hope I never will. The pause button on the controller did abort the landing, but the funny thing is, the aircraft landed the second time the return to home was requested and I don't believe the distance was that much further away. I guess when you think about it, it is amazing that DJI has their act together as well as they do. It has been a fairly dependable drone. When you're dealing with this type of technology I guess you can expect a lot of of surprises.

I think one thing is for sure if you use the RTH somewhere in the 20 m distance area you could have this issue.
You said your Mavic was about 200 feet (60 meters) away from the home point. Did your flight log confirm that?

Checked the log, It was my fault. distance was 17M when I made the RTH request. Pop-Up confirmed the landing.

Ahhh thanks Ron B. I recently had two flights that did the same and now know why. It was funny though as I had great success RTH up until then and couldn't understand this...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman