DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large Black smudge on all images/video

SWFL-FLYER

Reactions
I took the MP out today ( first time in months) and quickly noticed there is a large black smudge in the lower left quadrant. It shows up on live feed, video and still's

I took off the filter , and its still there. I see nothing when looking at the camera lens.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is and what is the fix?

Attachments

• DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 80
  • DJI_0032.JPG
    DJI_0032.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 77
Q is testing you with a rift in your timeline. But seriously, even though you don't "see" the smudge on the lens, it might be just enough of a transparent smudge to refract the light away. I would wipe with a damp cloth to see if you can remove it. Failing that, you might have a sensor failure.

Reactions: Former Member
I am going to guess that is a ccd problem. Probably need to replace the camera.......

How does that happen.. I dont mean replacing the camera but the problem. And yes my MP is 13 months old. So I guess out of warranty..

It is similar to dead pixels on an LCD display, only it appears that it is dead pixels on your chip. Several things can cause it, static discharge, laser pointer or welder burns (too intense of light input), Or just a defective chip. It wouldnt hurt to try it with DJI.

While ac0j's explanation is more likely, it could also just be dirt on the sensor - though I can't think of any way it could have gotten there, as the sensor is encased within the camera housing.

Thank you for mentioning me @BD0G

If it isnt some type of residue inside or outside of your lens, which is not easily removable, then you might just need a new camera barrel. That's where your sensor is located.

Then again, it looks like could be a caterpillar. j/k

I fired up the MP here at my desk to show my wife a live feed of the smudge.. Its gone!!. Picture is clear..

The only thing I can think of is heat.. I had it in the car for 90 minutes before I used it this morning (rear hatchback) and then it sat in the Sun for 15 minutes before I flew it because my phone rang.

Then this afternoon when I d/l the images, the drone had been in the car for 4-5 hrs. Now its has been in my A/C'ed office for 4 hrs.

There maybe another cause, but its the only one that makes sense. Today's temps were in the 90's in S Florida

Maybe it isn't heat.. I looked at a 20 second test video I took on Sunday and itthe blk smudge was there. The MP only came outside for the 2 minute flight. But its not there now.. This makes no sense.

After taking another look at your pics. I noticed that the blob is not totally black like dead pixels would be. I now think there is a tiny chunk of hair or lint on the sensor. I don’t know if it would help but you might try blowing all around the camera tube with canned air. Maybe you can get it blown out of the view?

It's something inside the camera that's finding it's way onto the lens internally, or the sensor.
This is a common problem with DSLR's with interchangeable lenses. I maybe wouldn't use canned air, that might be a bit severe for the delicate camera and gimbal, maybe try a Rocket Blower, just a small rubber bulb and tube to direct the air, (Rocket Blower is a brand name by the Lenspen company).
Even with a sealed sensor, dust can find it's way in and I think this is what you have.

Okay, and I'm blowing delicately exactly where? Since the camera lens is sealed.

IOW, where would I blow, what about trying to vacuum this out.

upload_2018-6-13_22-12-38.png

upload_2018-6-13_22-14-23.png

upload_2018-6-13_22-15-26.png

Here ARE 3 MORE stills that I grabbed that shows the mark . And yes I just noticed, they are not exactly the same shape in each pic. This is weird!!

Okay, and I'm blowing delicately exactly where? Since the camera lens is sealed.

IOW, where would I blow, what about trying to vacuum this out.

You can only blow around the camera and hope for the best...!
Just another random thought, most of the time, static is a factor in dust appearing on a sensor. Maybe try taking the battery off for a while...?

It looks like a substantial speck of dust such as a fibre, on the sensor.
The fact it changes shape suggests it might be largely held there by static so could just fall off.
You might try tapping the side of the camera quite hard with something like a pencil.
Bear in mind what appears bottom left will actually be top right of the camera body. If you can get it to move at all on screen it's worth persevering especially if the more certain solution is changing the camera.
The part you would need is not particularly expensive now (see ebay) but fiddly to fit, but not everyone will be able to deal with minute screws and cable connections.

Yo
I took the MP out today ( first time in months) and quickly noticed there is a large black smudge in the lower left quadrant. It shows up on live feed, video and still's

I took off the filter , and its still there. I see nothing when looking at the camera lens.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is and what is the fix?
Your camera has a tapeworm.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS