DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas flying

Mikes145

Reactions
I'll be getting a Mavic 2 Pro in a couple days and we'll be visiting Las Vegas the end of this month. We've been there before and always get a rental car. Is there an updated list of places that allow drones to fly? We like to visit Mt. Charleston and usually go to Red Rock Canyon also. I believe these areas are "ok" to fly, correct me if I'm wrong please. Anyone have more ideas? Obviously I know I can't fly near the strip.

@Mikes145 I litterly just left the Vegas area two weeks ago and took my Mavic 2 with me.

Mt Charleston is good to go up to the Mary Jane Waterfall area but anything outside the main hiking paths in the valley are technically a no go if you view AirMAP, but on the DJI app, its not. There are NO posted signs saying NO DRONE USE. You'll get some spotty GPS reception if you launch from the falls, so just let it hover for a bit to get a fix before you go take off and get your shots

I also hit up Red Rocks Canyon area - good to go, no limitations via DJI app, but view AirMap to know where the NFZ extend outside the area. You'll get some good views if you hike up the Calico trail up to the top. There are NO posted signs saying NO DRONE USE. I launched from the top and people were waving at my drone as I flew around. It was a clear sunny day, perfect shots.

There where a few other locations around the area I was unable to hit up but just do some basic research and you'll be able to figure out what's good and not good. Always research the park areas you plan on going to first so it saves you the heartbreak when you get there and find out you cant fly.

My post in another section:
Lots of other places you can fly outside the 5 mile range of McCarran.
Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston (not in the wilderness reserve sections), Seven Magic Mountains, Jean Roch Lake, Black Mountain (where the radio towers are but 400' [120m] away from them) B&Q mountain and other places...so long as you are outside the 5 miles out of McCarran.

Reactions: Mikes145
Hey guys,
will also be visiting Vegas soon for a couple of days.
Is there a spot to get good view of the Strip from outside of the McCarran range?

Hey guys,
Is there a spot to get good view of the Strip from outside of the McCarran range?

Sadly no.
At the closest point, McCarran is one mile away from the strip so it encompasses it all.
Including the Stratosphere.

But there are places outside the zone:
Black Rock Mountain in Henderson
B&Q Mountain (not the real name but has a huge B and Q painted on it)
A trip to the south but a ghost town in Nelson
Red Rock Canyon west of Las Vegas
Seven Magic Mountains on the way to Cali (only 5-10 miles away from Vegas)

I'll be out that way Tuesday through Saturday

Last edited:
Reactions: DKAerial
Is there any Option to fly around valley of Fire or is the entire area National Park?

Is there any Option to fly around valley of Fire or is the entire area National Park?

I would use Airmap and/DJI App to verify where you can and can not fly. When I was in Vegas and flying around the local areas, I double checked both to make sure I wasn't where I didn't need to be. Airmap get's pretty spot on with the NFZ's in and around any National Park. If it's a State Park, you may have to browse their website since alot of those don't generally register on either Application

@DKAerial

Via Airmap (desktop site) - your NFZ's are East and South - But it being a State Park area.......check the parks website before you go.

Edit: I saved you the trouble - per Nevada State Parks website....

-- Can I fly a drone?
Use of drones is prohibited in Nevada State Parks unless in an area designated for that use by a park supervisor, and a commercial use permit is in effect. All applicable FAA regulations apply.

Attachments

• ValleyofFire.jpg
    ValleyofFire.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 15
Glad you helped.
I have been running my tail off around here.
Seven Magic Mountains are getting a fresh coat of paint and are all white except for 2 of the rock tower's tops (yesterday 1200 PDT.)

Gonna see if I can get something done in a few hours.

Glad you helped.
I have been running my tail off around here.
Seven Magic Mountains are getting a fresh coat of paint and are all white except for 2 of the rock tower's tops (yesterday 1200 PDT.)

Gonna see if I can get something done in a few hours.

My buddy who lives there says they may keep the current fence in place and restrict people from walking up to or near that location - its been debated / back and forth since they were planing on their current project

My buddy who lives there says they may keep the current fence in place and restrict people from walking up to or near that location - its been debated / back and forth since they were planing on their current project

That would stink.
It is built solid.
Those forced prespecctive shots everyone was taking last December, just awesome.

I love Vegas and have a Mavic. Not much to see but sand. Why not go to a state where there is more to see?

I love Vegas and have a Mavic. Not much to see but sand. Why not go to a state where there is more to see?

Try the two play lists I created on my channel.
Vegas '17 and Vegas '18
There is a lot to see - sand included when presented correctly :D

Hey guys,
Go up to the Downtown Summerlin area. There are many adjacent open areas to launch from and the west side over 1000’+ higher than the strip. 50’ up and you have an unobstructed view of the entire valley.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat