DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Latest on HLG

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Straight from DJI. For those who claim these responses are somehow generic, no, it is specific, HLG is coming. Only the timeline is yet to be resolved:

“We have got feedback from our senior level and we have planned for including HLG for Mavic 3.

But in regard to the timeline, I am afraid that currently, we cannot make you any guarantee in terms of a specific date and time about when it will be available.”

Reactions: Gagey52
Straight from DJI. For those who claim these responses are somehow generic, no, it is specific, HLG is coming. Only the timeline is yet to be resolved:

“We have got feedback from our senior level and we have planned for including HLG for Mavic 3.

But in regard to the timeline, I am afraid that currently, we cannot make you any guarantee in terms of a specific date and time about when it will be available.”
HLG was promised very early on but not delivered. Its just frustrating to wait for features needed to fully utilize the Mavic 3.

I'm finding the Tele camera very useful but I need fast switching between cameras while recording, LOG and manual settings on the tele camera a few other things that hopefully are coming soon.

While it is a bummer to have to wait for certain features, at least they are coming. I look forward to trying HLG as D-Log takes just too much work to get right in my opinion....

Reactions: christangey
While it is a bummer to have to wait for certain features, at least they are coming. I look forward to trying HLG as D-Log takes just too much work to get right in my opinion....
Well HLG can be tricky too, especially in FCPX. I didn't like d-log either at first but I'm starting to find it acceptable. It will be good to compare both of the same material when HLG is issued. D-log is mainly about getting your white levels right, then your black levels and then the tweaking... in that order. FYI all of this is shot and graded in D-log on the M3

Last edited:
Well HLG can be tricky too, especially in FCPX. I didn't like d-log either at first but I'm starting to find it acceptable. It will be good to compare both of the same material when HLG is issued. D-log is mainly about getting your white levels right, then your black levels and then the tweaking... in that order. FYI all of this is shot and graded in D-log on the M3

Still has that green cast IMO, evident in the tree trunks to my eye. As I've emailed with you previous, the green cast is what kills the M3 D-Log for me. I've switched to using Normal colour (which looks great) and suffering 8-bit on recent jobs.

Seems 10-bit normal colour is only available on the Cine version of the drone?

Reactions: christangey
Still has that green cast IMO, evident in the tree trunks to my eye. As I've emailed with you previous, the green cast is what kills the M3 D-Log for me. I've switched to using Normal colour (which looks great) and suffering 8-bit on recent jobs.

Seems 10-bit normal colour is only available on the Cine version of the drone?
Not sure, is the Hasselblad "normal" setting ever 10 bit? I gave up on that long ago as it is horrible. Over saturated and crushed blacks (plus the 8 bit of course!) There is certainly a green thing going on sometimes but with the tree trunks? Could you tell me which ones?

I was shooting at last light on a Nat Geo documentary last week (still have more to do) of a train leaving a station and you could see a definite "carpet" of green moving with it on the lower frame in the shadows. Mind you I was pushing the camera to the absolute limit, light-wise!

Not sure, is the Hasselblad "normal" setting ever 10 bit?

I was emailing another Mavic 3 critic the same week I talked to you; also posts on here. And they'd quit Log to shoot Normal, saying it was 10-bit when they shot in ProRes.

"I’m currently only shooting in normal colour mode with AWB (although that's 10bit in ProRes on the Cine) because I still haven’t found a way to get completely rid of the color tint."

I'm happy avoiding the file sizes of ProRes (and the SSD) but would appreciate 10-bit Normal if that's ever possible. I was finding my Log footage noisy enough that lifting blacks in 8-bit Normal is not miles different. Being able to get accurate colour right off the bat in every clip was a sigh of relief, to be honest.

It's funny though, because after years of Mavic 2 and struggling with auto WB, I settled on a fixed "Sunny" WB, shooting Log, and then I have a PowerGrade in Resolve that works reliably for me every time - just need to bend the curve to lift/lower exposure if being picky. That works whether it's sunny or cloudy.

But with Mavic 3, my better results are now auto WB (going against what every pro would suggest) and 8-bit normal. Setting a WB and using Log has wrecked a lot of my M3 footage prior to this. I spent an entire day on one particular clip trying to get it looking right and could not do it which convinced me that there are scenes where M3 Log is unworkable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz