DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launch without phone app

kw1976

Reactions
Hi there...just got a mavic mini for my boy. He doesnt have a phone.

I can't see to launch the drone with just the controller.

It works when i hook my phone in.

It's definitely connected as it controls the camera.

I tried pulling the joysticks to bottom corners

Am i missing something

Thanks for help...complete and utter noob to anything drone

Have you found anything in the manual that may answer these questions?
If it’s all new, be careful.

Unlike the Mavic Pro controller which has it's own dedicated screen, joystick and function buttons which provide you with enough information to fly using only the controller , the Mavic Mini controller does not have any of these. It relies solely on the app to provide all the functions such as gps/ wifi status , speed , height, warnings, battery levels etc. as these are not available from the controller.
So I wouldn't fly without the app unless your desperate.

Also remember that the DJI Fly app is a 64bit application that works on recent versions of Android and IOS, many older devices have a 32bit processor architecture which is not compatible with the app.
This means there are limited number of devices that will work with the DJI Fly app, this list is what has been tested by DJI and confirmed to be working.

mavic mini rc compatibility.JPG
mavic mini rc compatibility.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Ah feared as much...when it said it had a remote controller i assume self contained.

Oh well...another thing to buy :(

Thanks for the help!

It is kinda self-contained, however there are 2 steps to complete before you fly the MM for the 1st time.

1) Update the drone & controller firmware. This is easily done through Fly, but can also be done through the Windows or Mac versions of DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic.
2) Register the MM. AFAIK, the only way to register the MM is through Fly. I asked a DJI forum moderator if there was another method, and never received a reply. So, you will need to find a compatible device to complete this step (as of 25 Dec 2019).

Once you complete these two steps, you can fly the MM without attaching a device to the controller (the steps are in the manual). After the drone and controller are started and recognize each other (it takes a bit longer without Fly), you pull both joysticks down and in (just like a manual start WITH Fly). PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL! This is a powerful drone with great range. Without the functions built into Fly, it would be simple to loose the MM outdoors. (I discovered today that without Fly the MM will only travel no furthet than about 60 yards from its home point.)

I posted on another thread that I bought a ZTE phone for $90 to use with Fly. I hope DJI upgrades firmware/app soon so you won't need to buy something special, but I was impatient. ;)

Last edited:
MM will likely limit height and distance if no app is used. That's how the other DJI quads work, including Phantom 3. The logic behind it is that without the app you don't have FPV, so the only way to know what AC is doing is to fly VLOS.

MM will likely limit height and distance if no app is used. That's how the other DJI quads work, including Phantom 3. The logic behind it is that without the app you don't have FPV, so the only way to know what AC is doing is to fly VLOS.

I expect you're right, and I plan to go out and do a test in the next hour.

Without my phone, or any other device, attached, the MM started, flew about 60 yards out, and hovered. I did a long press on the RTH buttpn, and it climbed to about 150', rotated 180 degrees, returned to its approximate homepoint, adjusted its position while descending, and landed within 6' of where it started.

Temp was upper 30s, with minimal wind.

Reactions: DJake_2000
As regards Android phone, I discovered Nokia 2 works fine ,got new one for £99 . . my Samsung A10 didn't! Use home wi-fi to download DJI Fly app (don't need sim!) . .then use Nokia as dedicated controller display. Decent size and quite bright. Good luck!

Yep, once registered or used once it flies without phone...but having flown it with and without, it's way more engaging with the app and display.

We have an old phone about that should work and we will go the sim free way. All good.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, k

Bring both joysticks diagonally down and center, or both joysticks down and out.

However, you must update firmware AND register the Mini before it will start without a phone.

Reactions: fificap
i know the procedure, but if i don't have connected a phone, the motors don't start
the drone is updated, activated and i have few flights with it, i tried inside and did not start the motors

Please excuse me. I didn't mean to suggest that you hadn't read the manual.

I just (right now) started mine, without a phone, by moving the joysticks both down & in and down & out. A bit of a hold is required each time. Also, it takes longer for the controller to pair with the Mini without the phone connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: WooZie
no problem sir, i was just curious how you can start yours, i waited to pair, i tried to start the motors without success, it is not my first drone, so that is why i asked, however it is not good to fly without a display, the only way to fly without a phone was like that:
i started the motors with the app open, then i pull out the phone and it works until i turned off the drone, then it did not work anymore

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brigadier B