DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

launching drone from road side for scenic imagery (USA)

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
How many of you park on the side of the road, and launch your drone, to capture scenic imagery you might find while driving? Wondering about the legality of this as well.

Finding public parks that are drone friendly is getting to be a drag, as well as the minimal photo opportunities they provide.

I only do this on rural roads without much traffic, and am aware to never fly over moving vehicles. Usually I will launch from the side of the road (not in the road) and control the drone sitting in the back of my SUV with the hatch up, or if I can't maintain VLOS will lean up against the side of my vehicle or sit on the hood.

Just wondering if there's really any known laws against this. In my opinion, I don't think there is.

Even parked in front of private property on the road side should still be fine. If I am aware correctly, most states have public access/easement that extends 4 to 6 feet from the road onto the property.

The only other thing to contend with would be if there's any no stopping signs on the roadside, but I only do this on rural roads that aren't busy, and most don't have the no stopping signs, and have a wide shoulder.

As of now everything is fine until someone comes up to you and challenges you and than rather than confront , just say thank you and leave.

This has worked well in all situations thus far and will let everyone know when it does not.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: old man mavic
I try to park as far off the road as possible. I do not want someone driving by to be distracted by my car, me with a RC in my hands, and then trying to see what I am flying. You are probably right about legalities (local rules may be different) but the yahoo that stops to give you grief will have their own idea of what is legal.

As of now everything is fine until someone comes up to you and challenges you and than rather than confront , just say thank you and leave.

This has worked well in all situations thus far and will let everyone know when it does not.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Coal

Yep thats what I thought. If anyone has a problem, I'll leave. Even if I'm right legally, I'd rather just avoid any confrontation. Lots of crazies out there.

here in the UK that's where i do most of my flying from when i am out in the countryside,being mindful of my surroundings and as you say not flying over moving vehicles
but i always try to move away from the roads edge when possible this is normally easy as there are lots of unfenced areas to fly from round here

here in the UK that's where i do most of my flying from when i am out in the countryside,being mindful of my surroundings and as you say not flying over moving vehicles
but i always try to move away from the roads edge when possible this is normally easy as there are lots of unfenced areas to fly from round here
What I'm actually doing every night in bed is loading up google maps app in satellite view, and following all the roads looking for roadside pull off spots. Then I can drop a pin and save it to a list. I think I have about 30 pins saved now of new locations I didn't know about that I want to go fly my drone at.

I think the general rule of thumb is don't get caught.
Those that get their 107, can tag their rules to that, but the general public makes up their own rules.
You might think a visual observer is good to help with the drone. Its far more valuable to help with government supported locals that feel entitled to the 400' AGL in addition to your income.

I'd be careful with claims to a public easement from the road running into the property. That most often is a maintenance easement for the benefit of the local/state government and people assigned by them (utilities, for example). It is almost never an easement for passage or use by the general public. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would prohibit what you're doing so long as you're not actually still on the road (which in NY, for example, can get you -- and I kid you not -- a ticket for "parking on the pavement").

Reactions: Gindra
Here is my view on pulling off to the side of the road to launch. Drivers always focus on obstructions in their field of view. This makes them not knowing start steering towards that target your car or you. You are a distraction on the roadway. That’s never good. People get killed every week changing a tire in the side of a road being struck by another car. Drivers will want to see what your doing then not pay attention to the road , cross the center line and possibly cause an accident. Then Guess who is getting fingers pointed at them for causing the distraction. Find a safe place to launch and land. Not the side of the road.

I pulled off a relatively busy highway in Colorado a few months ago to photograph a huge feedlot. Lots of room to get off the road, so that wasn't a problem. I had the drone up snapping away when I heard a car pull up behind me. A Colorado State Policeman. Oops. Turned out he had seen my car parked and wanted to be sure everything was OK. Then he saw the drone and thought it was pretty cool and wanted to talk about it. No legal issue at all. We spent about 15 minutes chatting about the drone, and about his work, and then he went on his way. (Be careful about feedlots, though. A few states include feedlots as "critical infrastructure" and ban drone photography. Doubtful legality, but...).

Reactions: Gindra
Here is my view on pulling off to the side of the road to launch. Drivers always focus on obstructions in their field of view. This makes them not knowing start steering towards that target your car or you. You are a distraction on the roadway. That’s never good. People get killed every week changing a tire in the side of a road being struck by another car. Drivers will want to see what your doing then not pay attention to the road , cross the center line and possibly cause an accident. Then Guess who is getting fingers pointed at them for causing the distraction. Find a safe place to launch and land. Not the side of the road.
@BLACK314 you make a valid point the roads i mentioned in my post #5 are just in large areas of countryside away from civilisation,i would never dream of flying in a layby on a main thoroughfare, its ok if its possible to get a layby, that used to be the main road and was then turned into a stopping place and is hidden by trees from traffic passing by as you take off and land

How many of you park on the side of the road, and launch your drone, to capture scenic imagery you might find while driving? Wondering about the legality of this as well.

Finding public parks that are drone friendly is getting to be a drag, as well as the minimal photo opportunities they provide.

I only do this on rural roads without much traffic, and am aware to never fly over moving vehicles. Usually I will launch from the side of the road (not in the road) and control the drone sitting in the back of my SUV with the hatch up, or if I can't maintain VLOS will lean up against the side of my vehicle or sit on the hood.

Just wondering if there's really any known laws against this. In my opinion, I don't think there is.

Even parked in front of private property on the road side should still be fine. If I am aware correctly, most states have public access/easement that extends 4 to 6 feet from the road onto the property.

The only other thing to contend with would be if there's any no stopping signs on the roadside, but I only do this on rural roads that aren't busy, and most don't have the no stopping signs, and have a wide shoulder.
Interesting. I inquired similar here in Western Australia. In particular as we have a body called “main roads”, whose roads may go through shires who may not allow flying from their land. Main Roads replied to me in writing that for non-commercial use, they have no policy other than following CASA rules - similar to FAA. So, I can park beside a road (highway or similar, not a small shire owned road which may be different or may not) here and fly, as long as following CASA (no drone permits needed here yet).

Reactions: bushie
Nah - usually the nearest turn-off or view-point for launching drones - stopping to plan it maybe but not launch from side of the road just seems wrong and distracting to others.

I pulled off a relatively busy highway in Colorado a few months ago to photograph a huge feedlot. Lots of room to get off the road, so that wasn't a problem. I had the drone up snapping away when I heard a car pull up behind me. A Colorado State Policeman. Oops. Turned out he had seen my car parked and wanted to be sure everything was OK. Then he saw the drone and thought it was pretty cool and wanted to talk about it. No legal issue at all. We spent about 15 minutes chatting about the drone, and about his work, and then he went on his way. (Be careful about feedlots, though. A few states include feedlots as "critical infrastructure" and ban drone photography. Doubtful legality, but...).
You was lucky... If the state trooper was one of those cops that hate drones... He will most likely find some weakness to write you a ticket.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger

I agree!

Checked this out in West Australia- fine if you follow CASA rules and it’s Main Roads. So you can’t by a busy hwy. But out in the bush no worries.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat