DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Law Officer Claims My TRUST DOCUMENT Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can suspect the printout is fake. He could perhaps issue a ticket. He can't dish out a criminal punishment without getting a court involved, and the court would give you a chance to explain your side of the issue. There's no way you'd be convicted of anything for showing a valid TRUST certificate to a law enforcement officer.

The place to dispute a law enforcement officer is in the controlled environment of a courtroom, not in the field.
So… you would also say then if he had made a photocopy of a $20 and tried to buy a candy bar with it and a cop saw it he wouldn’t be taken to jail? I’m pretty sure he would be, or there is at least a Z

Of course the officer was wrong here and it was a legitimate document, but if there was some sort of official FAA document the OP forged it is certainly possible he could have been taken to jail.

I am curious to see if this actually happens to someone. This whole process of telling folks to save these docs and print them out themselves is kind of ridiculous. Though IMO it’s better than the alternative of over regulation.

Since we are discussing flying in state parks, I have a comment......On my "UAV Forecast and B4UFly apps", the state park that I want to fly in shows no flight restrictions or advisories. Yet when I email them a question about flying in the state park, they say "drones not allowed at this time". I believe this was sent from some uninformed employee! Any thoughts???

Since we are discussing flying in state parks, I have a comment......On my "UAV Forecast and B4UFly apps", the state park that I want to fly in shows no flight restrictions or advisories. Yet when I email them a question about flying in the state park, they say "drones not allowed at this time". I believe this was sent from some uninformed employee! Any thoughts???
It's best to always look up the local and state parks rules about motorized 'toys'. They use different descriptions but I always look for the words, electric, aircraft, drone, UAV, etc. If not sure there is always a phone number you can call and see if they are allowed of if you can apply for a waiver.

I second suggestion #4, get your 107 and then you don't have to worry about it. I am going to take the Trust course because the FAA says I have to. But any questions will be answered with my 107. Because if you plan on posting the video on YouTube, then it falls under 107 and you don't have to worry about LEO not knowing the details.

So now on to the really important question; how did the video come out? ;)
Correct me if I understand this wrong. 107 flyers still must have TRUST. If you are flying for a “job” then you are under 107. If you pick the drone up to film personal stuff, Falls or birthday party, then the 107 is mute and you must have the trust since at that point you are flying as a hobbyist.

Is it hard to pass the 107 exam without paying pilot institute (or someone else) a fee?
You definitely can. We like to look at the Part 107 as not just an exam, but more of a preparation for real life. That's why so many people are recommending our course. Getting a 70 on the exam shouldn't be the goal, becoming a proficient pilot should be. :)

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Correct me if I understand this wrong. 107 flyers still must have TRUST. If you are flying for a “job” then you are under 107. If you pick the drone up to film personal stuff, Falls or birthday party, then the 107 is mute and you must have the trust since at that point you are flying as a hobbyist.
I think that people will more likely understand and believe the answer if a recognized and trusted expert such as @pilotinstitute answered this...but you do understand it correctly...even if you hold 107 cert...you need TRUST cert to fly around for fun

Your right I should of never shown my Trust Cert, foolish me, but in Nam as marine tunnel rat, I got my kicks to be the first, only issue was Murphy finally caught up to me, got my Purple Heart, young and dumb at the time. I can't really blame the officer a piece of paper which look made up good get a second glance, for the court system many innocent souls have been convicted, justice the AMRICAN PLAN. pnwhiker..
It is amazing what tunnel rats did. You should have dropped down, crawled between his legs and disappeared. He would still be looking around. I salute you.
B-57 nav

Reactions: MA2 317
It depends on which set of rules you decide to follow before you take off. If you decide to follow the rules in USC 44809 (recreational rules), then you need to take the TRUST training, regardless of whether you have a Part 107 certificate or not.

If you decided to follow the rules under Part 107, you wouldn't need TRUST, and you could still complete a recreational flight. Operating under the Part 107 rules doesn't mean the flight itself can't be recreational in nature.

The key here is to understand there are two different sets of rules you can follow, you pick which one before taking off.

Reactions: sar104
Your right I should of never shown my Trust Cert, foolish me, but in Nam as marine tunnel rat, I got my kicks to be the first, only issue was Murphy finally caught up to me, got my Purple Heart, young and dumb at the time. I can't really blame the officer a piece of paper which look made up good get a second glance, for the court system many innocent souls have been convicted, justice the AMRICAN PLAN. pnwhiker..
In the military, you should have learned never volunteer for ANYTHING, including providing documents that weren't asked for.

In the military, you should've learned to NEVER volunteer for ANYTHING! That includes providing documents that were not asked for.

Reactions: alesquire
It depends on which set of rules you decide to follow before you take off. If you decide to follow the rules in USC 44809 (recreational rules), then you need to take the TRUST training, regardless of whether you have a Part 107 certificate or not.

If you decided to follow the rules under Part 107, you wouldn't need TRUST, and you could still complete a recreational flight. Operating under the Part 107 rules doesn't mean the flight itself can't be recreational in nature.

The key here is to understand there are two different sets of rules you can follow, you pick which one before taking off.
I read the rules before I took the TRUST training. They stated that everyone, including part 107 pilots need the TRUST certificate.

I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did. THE END.
QUESTION: Is TRUST a LEGAL DOCUMENT OR NOT.
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker

Interesting situation. The FAA has a program called LEAP: Law Enforcement Assistance Program. I know @Vic Moss carries LEAP cards with him. I tried to find them online but can't find the link anymore, I'm sure he will share.
Educating Law Enforcement is as difficult as educating recreational flyers, so the FAA definitely needs to step it up. But in the meantime, it's good for all of us to have a small binder in our flight bag with information printed from the FAA website that we can present to LE when confronted.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did. THE END.
QUESTION: Is TRUST a LEGAL DOCUMENT OR NOT.
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker
As an attorney and a Mavic Air 2 owner and active flier, I can see one major mistake here. Trying to talk with or reason with some law enforcement personnel. I never understand why anyone will attempt to give a detailed explanation of what they are doing and why they are doing that activity. If you were engaged in a legal activity there why bother to give an accounting of what you were doing.

Officer: "Hey there, what are you doing in this place, and why are you here?" Answer: "Admiring the view and minding my own business". Officer" "We received a report of some illegal activity and you are the only one here." You: "Well officer, have a good day and good luck with that."

Law enforcement is in the arrest business. Do not cooperate with these people. And before I am jumped all over for being anti-police or anything like that, let me assure you that I am far from that. The best reason why you should never talk to law enforcement can be summed up with this video.

I think that people will more likely understand and believe the answer if a recognized and trusted expert such as @pilotinstitute answered this...but you do understand it correctly...even if you hold 107 cert...you need TRUST cert to fly around for fun
But as @pilotinstitute points out in post #69, no - you don't need to have taken TRUST to fly recreationally under Part 107 - you only need it to fly under the recreational exemption.

Once again, this is not ambiguous if you read 14 CFR Part 107 and 49 U.S.C §44809. Specifically:

§107.1 Applicability.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to the registration, airman certification, and operation of civil small unmanned aircraft systems within the United States. This part also applies to the eligibility of civil small unmanned aircraft systems to operate over human beings in the United States.​
(b) This part does not apply to the following:​
(1) Air carrier operations;​
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 44809;​
(3) Any operation that the holder of an exemption under section 333 of Public Law 112-95 or 49 U.S.C. 44807 elects to conduct pursuant to the exemption, unless otherwise specified in the exemption; or​
(4) Any operation that a person elects to conduct under part 91 of this chapter with a small unmanned aircraft system that has been issued an airworthiness certificate.​

Note that there is no requirement for flights not to be recreational under Part 107 - it applies to all sUAS operations except the ones listed in (b), one category of which is flights that are flown under 49 U.S.C §44809.

Looking at 49 U.S.C §44809:

(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:​

(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.​

Note that it states that a person may operate recreationally under this exemption from Par 107, not that they must operate under this exemption. So for recreational flights you have a choice - fly under Part 107 or fly under the exemption, with only the latter requiring TRUST.

He probably was uneducated and was looking for a part 107 and since it was not that he thought you were trying to pass something off as that.

Inspired by this thread…

Just back from Kinkos, having spent:
$0.70 for a color copier print on glossy paper
$2.49 for an 8.5x11” self-serve lamination
$3.19 Total

I took about 10 minutes at home in Photoshop, lining up & scaling the FAA pdfs of my drone registration, my TRUST cert, and my 107 recurrency cert.

About 20 minutes at Kinkos, carefully trimming the print, folding, laminating, then trimming the lamination.

Result: 3 nice looking laminated wallet cards, with the original FAA logos in color.

I don’t know that I’ll have an interaction with a law enforcement officer where these might help, but they’ll hold up better in my wallet than little scraps of paper!
The "native" print out does look pretty lame.

We don't have a Kinko's anywhere around here that I'm aware of, but there is a good print shop that isn't far. I think I'll splurge on the 10 12 bucks and have *THEM* do it for me!

:)

TCS

Reactions: SethB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member