DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learn from my mistake!

DorsetDad

Reactions
Hi all,

This is my first time postingon the Mavic Pilots forum site.

A week ago, I downloaded Litchi and flew my MA1 and within 4 mins lost connection and it never RTH.

The Litchi app only face last location of connection and nothing else and of course the DJI app couldn’t be used for Find My Drone. Having spent 3 days searching for it in dense wooded areas, open fields etc around the mission route I decided that I wasn’t going to find it on foot so ordered a new MA2.

However… having now received my MA2 I decided that I will never fly again without some sort of tracker device on my drone. I have ordered Trackimo and Loc8tor trackers for it and taken out DJI Refresh and also insurance from Coverdrone to cover Public Liability and also Flyaway Loss.

So morals of my story are… don’t rush to use a new app until you know it inside out, have both GPS and RF trackers on ur drone, take out insurance so your investment is protected to some extent.

I have flown the new MA2 in my garden so far but can’t wait to get the trackers on it and use it more extensively… also hopefully it will help me find my lost MA1 drone!

So morals of my story are… don’t rush to use a new app until you know it inside out, have both GPS and RF trackers on ur drone, take out insurance so your investment is protected to some extent.
It doesn't matter what app you are flying with, on loss of signal, your drone would initiate RTH, unless you have changed the Loss of Signal action from the default setting (which is RTH).
RTH is going to bring the drone home unless:
  • It gets hung up on an obstacle on the RTH path (because RTH height was not set high enough)
  • It encountered headwinds too strong to RTH
  • Remaining battery was insufficient for RTH
The recorded flight data won't show what happened after loss of signal, but it might have enough clues to work it out or perhaps point toward a likely search area.

Rather than putting additional weight on the drone to help locating it after crash, it will be more desirable to find out what caused the loss of your MA1and avoid repeating the same mistakes if the cause was pilot error.

I am pretty sure using Litchi is not the mistake. Litchi should have kept a a log file of that last flight of your MA1 in the phone. If you can share the file here, it may be possible to identify the cause. Follow this guide to dig out the file : Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet