DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Leaving charging case on iPhone?

STimkey

Reactions
I'm in WNY and do a lot of outside activity. Specs say the Mavis is battle tested at 32º, but I had it out last night for a while when it was 12-15 (for a few minutes to gut check the thing). Everything worked really well, but my iPhone battery is awful and lasts about 10 seconds in the cold. Has anyone tried using a charging case with the controller? I'm less concerned about it being bulky and more concerned about everything staying alive for the 10-15 minutes I've got my bird in the air. Lightning port cable on the RC is very finnicky (probably just my phone's port).

Looking for user experience/advice. Other than that, the thing is really, really cool.

You don't need to jam the phone in the arms, My Samsung S5 has a bumper style case which theoretically is far too thick - but in practise the arms still hold it by the very edge - aided by the less slippy case.
You are effectively holding the arms against the phone in normal use anyway.
If that doesn't work the rubber inserts will slide out if you undo the three tiny retaining bolts on the end of the arms.
They are locked together but once out you can re-insert just one half if that helps.
It's also easier to accommodate more bulk if you click out the silly slider thing which holds the short cable.

I tried to run it this am with the charging case, but I'm not able to access ATTI mode. If the phone has to be connected to the controller, why won't the **** thing charge at the same time?

Hold up - (my bad, I'm so new to this) - when my phone is in the charging case, it's saying GPS mode. But I can't access live video or calibration. When it's out of the case and plugged into the remote, it's saying ATTI mode. I'm going to try to go in the case (not in airplane mode). It's not helping it's 12º.

I'm in WNY and do a lot of outside activity. Specs say the Mavis is battle tested at 32º, but I had it out last night for a while when it was 12-15 (for a few minutes to gut check the thing). Everything worked really well, but my iPhone battery is awful and lasts about 10 seconds in the cold. Has anyone tried using a charging case with the controller? I'm less concerned about it being bulky and more concerned about everything staying alive for the 10-15 minutes I've got my bird in the air. Lightning port cable on the RC is very finnicky (probably just my phone's port).

Looking for user experience/advice. Other than that, the thing is really, really cool.

Tape a hand warmer on back of iPhone to keep it warm. Problem solved. Battery lasts normal time when warm.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Tape a hand warmer on back of iPhone to keep it warm. Problem solved. Battery lasts normal time when warm.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I took both top rubber off.... But added a "rubber band" on the right side, because without it... the phone will slip.
I didn't want to cut/trim the OEM rubber..... and this has worked for me for 4 months now.

Did you remove the rubber bumpers from the controller arms? I've been having to take my phone out of that exact case this whole time, it'd be nice to leave it in!

Does anyone else have any experiences with other battery cases? My Iphone 6 gets terrible battery life when using the Mavic. I only get about a Mavic battery and a half before the phone drops to 20% battery life. I turned off all the apps so there shouldn't of been anything else running.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98