DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yeager87

Reactions
So there are tons of posts about this but was hoping I could get a clear response. I have registered my Mavic Air with the FAA. Everywhere near me falls within 5 miles of an airport. All are recreational and have no control tower so I have been flying and have not had an issue yet. Question 1. Will this likely cause me an issue at some point. Question 2. There is an area near my family that I would really like to fly and it is 4 miles from larger airport. I don’t plan to fly more than 100-150 feet but don’t want to risk it if it is likely I will be getting fined. It seems like if I’m flying that low it shouldn’t be an issue but never can really understand what I can and cannot do, due to conflicting info. Thanks in advance

So there are tons of posts about this but was hoping I could get a clear response. I have registered my Mavic Air with the FAA. Everywhere near me falls within 5 miles of an airport. All are recreational and have no control tower so I have been flying and have not had an issue yet. Question 1. Will this likely cause me an issue at some point. Question 2. There is an area near my family that I would really like to fly and it is 4 miles from larger airport. I don’t plan to fly more than 100-150 feet but don’t want to risk it if it is likely I will be getting fined. It seems like if I’m flying that low it shouldn’t be an issue but never can really understand what I can and cannot do, due to conflicting info. Thanks in advance

If you are flying for recreation, you must contact all airports and heliports within 5 miles each time you fly. There are no exceptions unless you are flying from a permanent location and have a procedure agreed upon with an airport or heliport.

Getting Started

Assuming you follow all applicable regulations and rules, you can fly in all classes of airspace except B, with proper notification. You also need to be aware of TFRs, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddR
Just don't fly within the 'no-fly' 5 mile radius.. It's pretty self explanatory... not something I'd want to mess with. I just downloaded AirMap app which is great since I don't have to boot up the drone before realizing I can't fly there...

Don't risk it. Where are you in the world?

Just don't fly within the 'no-fly' 5 mile radius.. It's pretty self explanatory... not something I'd want to mess with. I just downloaded AirMap app which is great since I don't have to boot up the drone before realizing I can't fly there...

Don't risk it. Where are you in the world?

What? You can fly within 5 miles of an airport. You simply need to contact said airport and answer a few easy questions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada