DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Legal or Not…….? TIA

JMMath

Reactions
Flying in the woods and a large plume of smoke is seen in the distance. Being a normal curious human being, I fly over that way. Upon reaching the source of the smoke, I realize I’ve come upon one of the saddest situations ever. No deaths or injuries but I did abruptly fly away and land. My video is always running so there was no stopping and picture taking. Just an “oh chit” and leave ASAP. What do you guys think about this ?

Last edited:
Flying in the woods and a large plume of smoke is seen in the distance. Being a normal curious human being, I fly over that way. Upon reaching the source of the smoke, I realize I’ve come upon one of the saddest situations ever. No deaths or injuries but I abruptly fly away and land. My video is always running so there was no stopping and picture taking. Just an “oh chit” and leave ASAP. What do you guys think about this ?
Why wouldn’t it be legal? What are your concerns?

Reactions: AZDave
BVLOS 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: dozzn and sar104
Flying in the woods and a large plume of smoke is seen in the distance. Being a normal curious human being, I fly over that way. Upon reaching the source of the smoke, I realize I’ve come upon one of the saddest situations ever. No deaths or injuries but I did abruptly fly away and land. My video is always running so there was no stopping and picture taking. Just an “oh chit” and leave ASAP. What do you guys think about this ?

The only obvious issue here is your statement "in the distance". Was the aircraft within visual line of sight? Other than that, your response to discovering an emergency situation was correct.

That said - that's a really sad but impressive image. I would guess that it might be of considerable interest to the owners, insurance, and local news media.

Reactions: dirkclod
The only obvious issue here is your statement "in the distance". Was the aircraft within visual line of sight? Other than that, your response to discovering an emergency situation was correct.

That said - that's a really sad but impressive image. I would guess that it might be of considerable interest to the owners, insurance, and local news media.
The SD card was given to the owner. To do with as he pleases

How far away was this plume smoke in the distance ?

I’m a little surprised that you posted the picture 😳

@JMMath you did the right thing so long as you were following all other rules and regulations. Once you realized you were in an area that could have other aircraft you exited the area immediately. Well done.

I am not sure about in America, but here in China, it is not good to interfere with emergency operations and I suspect it is the same in America as well. Generally, you should keep away from anything that involves police, paramedics, fire or rescue. Just better to stay completely away and allow them to do their jobs without interference. Additionally, flying over that fire would potentially damage your drone anyway from the significant heat and wind rising from the flames. I worked as a photojournalist for many years and always had a good relationship with the police, fire and paramedics/rescue people. I have enormous respect for what they do every day. True heroes, so my practice was to do everything I could to make their lives as easy as I could by not getting in their way or interfering in their work, which I considered way more important than anything I did.

Also, did you find out the cause of the fire? So involved is a bit unusual.

I am not sure about in America, but here in China, it is not good to interfere with emergency operations and I suspect it is the same in America as well. Generally, you should keep away from anything that involves police, paramedics, fire or rescue. Just better to stay completely away and allow them to do their jobs without interference. Additionally, flying over that fire would potentially damage your drone anyway from the significant heat and wind rising from the flames. I worked as a photojournalist for many years and always had a good relationship with the police, fire and paramedics/rescue people. I have enormous respect for what they do every day. True heroes, so my practice was to do everything I could to make their lives as easy as I could by not getting in their way or interfering in their work, which I considered way more important than anything I did.

Also, did you find out the cause of the fire? So involved is a bit unusual.
Lightning strike……

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet