DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Letter to the Paranoid Neighbor

Possums

Reactions
I think this was nicely done, albeit a little long.

The Reality of Drone Stalking
When reporting "DRONE STALKING" consider that just because you see a drone over your property the probability of you actually being stalked is extremely low. Drone flights are regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and because of their rules, drones can not fly higher than 400 feet over terrain. That means that for anyone flying a drone and following regulations their flight altitude MUST be lower than 400 feet above your property. They are not flying low because they want to, they just don't want to tangle with the FAA.

The FAA claims airspace from the ground to well beyond 70,000 feet. That's right.....you do not own or control the space above your property. This means that when a drone is legally operated it can be very low over your property..... legally. If you are paranoid, the drone may be stalking you, if not, someone very near-by is enjoying their hobby. A new map put out by the FAA shows actual altitude to be flown in the (insert your location here) area. Some of the areas on the map limit flight altitudes to 400, 200, 100, even 50 feet maximum. The allowed altitude all depends on how close the drone is being flown to an airport. As a result, what you think is low flying and stalking may be a drone pilot following FAA altitude limitations for his geographic location grid.

The FAA applies the same rules to drones as full size aircraft regarding the destruction of an aircraft or drones in the FAA's airspace. Shoot anything down in the FAA's airspace and you could be in big trouble..Federal crime.....just like shooting down an airliner. Remember, as far as the FAA is concerned they own the airspace above your yard and home, even airspace over the street in front of your home. Over a million drones are registered with the FAA in the US. That means there is a high probability that you will see one flying somewhere and sometime near to your location. The probability of it having a purpose of "stalking" you is extremely low. Most important, unless the drone is one of the very expensive drones, its flight time is limited to about 25 minutes maximum between battery charges. A battery charge takes an hour. Assuming that the "stalker" is waiting for you to come outside, but does not know when you will go outside, how many 25 minute flights will the "stalker" have to make to finally catch you outside??? If you do the math you will find out that the probability of the drone being there when you are is an extremely small number. Instead, it is most likely a random encounter that brings a neighbor's hobby drone near you.

When the drone operator is flying using the attached video camera link (called first person video) he or she sees an image of what the drone camera "sees" on a mini-IPAD size display on his or her control transmitter. If the drone altitude is 200 feet, you are a very very small object on the display, given that the field of view of the video camera is usually greater than 120 degrees. Your image is not a highly detailed, or high resolution, image, and there is not enough detail to identify you by name in a random encounter, based on facial recognition. Lets assume that you are being stalked and the drone is flying at low altitude of 25 feet. The drone operator has to worry about losing his or her $1,000 to $5,000 drone because of a tree strike, or even house strike. If the operator is flying a stalking mission, the camera is centered on the subject not the trees, bushes, house, etc. which is a most dangerous flight condition. Unless the operator can see the drone (and to be legal they must be able to see the drone) they are depending on a video camera with a 130 degree field of view to avoid these "drone killers" on your property that occupy the other 230 degree "blind region" around the drone.

Hopefully, if you have read this far you are starting to get the picture that for a number of reasons, there is a low probability that you are being stalked just because you see a drone. Wave at a drone and you will most likely attract the drone operators attention, as a moving target does stand out from the fairly boring landscape, and the operator may come closer to investigate what the moving target is and what it is doing. Now, if you are laying out by your pool and a drone comes down to 25 or 30 feet directly overhead, you have been spotted and you are being observed and most likely photographed or video taped. Is your privacy being invaded? Maybe not, maybe so. It all depends on the laws that apply to your rights to privacy in your fenced or not fenced back yard. Would a neighbor video taping you, from his property, over the pool privacy fence be an invasion of privacy under the laws that apply??? If yes, then the drone at 25 feet above your pool would be invading your privacy legally speaking. Please don't forget, the drone operator has rights to fly over your property just like a full size aircraft and the rules that ensure these rights are enforced by the FAA.

That's a very comprehensive and fact-filled letter but way too long IMHO. I also believe that anyone who already hates drones is going to stop reading before the end of the first paragraph.

Generally speaking, people don't like being educated unless they have asked for it. I don't have the solution but would start by writing something that is short, sweet and light in terms of technical stuff about camera capability.

Yeah that could probably be condensed down to about 2 paragraphs. Way too much stuffing.

I think this was nicely done, albeit a little long.

The Reality of Drone Stalking
When reporting "DRONE STALKING" consider that just because you see a drone over your property the probability of you actually being stalked is extremely low. Drone flights are regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and because of their rules, drones can not fly higher than 400 feet over terrain. That means that for anyone flying a drone and following regulations their flight altitude MUST be lower than 400 feet above your property. They are not flying low because they want to, they just don't want to tangle with the FAA.

The FAA claims airspace from the ground to well beyond 70,000 feet. That's right.....you do not own or control the space above your property. This means that when a drone is legally operated it can be very low over your property..... legally. If you are paranoid, the drone may be stalking you, if not, someone very near-by is enjoying their hobby. A new map put out by the FAA shows actual altitude to be flown in the (insert your location here) area. Some of the areas on the map limit flight altitudes to 400, 200, 100, even 50 feet maximum. The allowed altitude all depends on how close the drone is being flown to an airport. As a result, what you think is low flying and stalking may be a drone pilot following FAA altitude limitations for his geographic location grid.

The FAA applies the same rules to drones as full size aircraft regarding the destruction of an aircraft or drones in the FAA's airspace. Shoot anything down in the FAA's airspace and you could be in big trouble..Federal crime.....just like shooting down an airliner. Remember, as far as the FAA is concerned they own the airspace above your yard and home, even airspace over the street in front of your home. Over a million drones are registered with the FAA in the US. That means there is a high probability that you will see one flying somewhere and sometime near to your location. The probability of it having a purpose of "stalking" you is extremely low. Most important, unless the drone is one of the very expensive drones, its flight time is limited to about 25 minutes maximum between battery charges. A battery charge takes an hour. Assuming that the "stalker" is waiting for you to come outside, but does not know when you will go outside, how many 25 minute flights will the "stalker" have to make to finally catch you outside??? If you do the math you will find out that the probability of the drone being there when you are is an extremely small number. Instead, it is most likely a random encounter that brings a neighbor's hobby drone near you.

When the drone operator is flying using the attached video camera link (called first person video) he or she sees an image of what the drone camera "sees" on a mini-IPAD size display on his or her control transmitter. If the drone altitude is 200 feet, you are a very very small object on the display, given that the field of view of the video camera is usually greater than 120 degrees. Your image is not a highly detailed, or high resolution, image, and there is not enough detail to identify you by name in a random encounter, based on facial recognition. Lets assume that you are being stalked and the drone is flying at low altitude of 25 feet. The drone operator has to worry about losing his or her $1,000 to $5,000 drone because of a tree strike, or even house strike. If the operator is flying a stalking mission, the camera is centered on the subject not the trees, bushes, house, etc. which is a most dangerous flight condition. Unless the operator can see the drone (and to be legal they must be able to see the drone) they are depending on a video camera with a 130 degree field of view to avoid these "drone killers" on your property that occupy the other 230 degree "blind region" around the drone.

Hopefully, if you have read this far you are starting to get the picture that for a number of reasons, there is a low probability that you are being stalked just because you see a drone. Wave at a drone and you will most likely attract the drone operators attention, as a moving target does stand out from the fairly boring landscape, and the operator may come closer to investigate what the moving target is and what it is doing. Now, if you are laying out by your pool and a drone comes down to 25 or 30 feet directly overhead, you have been spotted and you are being observed and most likely photographed or video taped. Is your privacy being invaded? Maybe not, maybe so. It all depends on the laws that apply to your rights to privacy in your fenced or not fenced back yard. Would a neighbor video taping you, from his property, over the pool privacy fence be an invasion of privacy under the laws that apply??? If yes, then the drone at 25 feet above your pool would be invading your privacy legally speaking. Please don't forget, the drone operator has rights to fly over your property just like a full size aircraft and the rules that ensure these rights are enforced by the FAA.

One of the first things you might consider doing is joining a community watch where you let everyone know that that your drone flying is part of the perimiter check for criminal activity.

Not to many people reject to that and giving them a picture of your drone is an added plus. Shows what I call transparency. Of course we have the Wet Suit which helps identify my drone but that is not needed.

I have called the police a couple times, and I have used my drone to break up fights across the park and or loud yelling , screaming .

What i really like is it gives me a nice reason to fly at night over the neighbors and down to the lake.after a quick circle of the area.

Phantomrain.org
Gear for you Mavic to fly in the rain
Maker of the New Lunar Launch Pad.

Let me condense it.
Im not stalking you. I am flying within the current laws, rules, and regulations!
You are paranoid. Get over it ! Drones are here to stay. The sooner you accept it the better it will be for all of us on the planet. Perhaps spend your time measuring neighbors cars in relation to the curb to make sure they are not parked farther than 18 inches away from the curb.

Better yet get a hobby like basket weaving or ceramics.
Sincerely, You friendly neighborhood drone pilot.

Dear Resident!

I hereby invite you to view the footage of my drone flight on ... where I crossed your property in accordance of the rules ans regulations as brought out by the local authorities. Viewing the log and the footage, you will see that I did, do, nor will not stalk you.

Regards,

your neighbour

How about- “Your right. It’s hard to justify what the necessity is to make a nuisance of myself flying my toy over your property”.

It’s simple. Why would you want to (anger).. [language replaced by miderator] your neighbours if you don’t have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about- “Your right. It’s hard to justify what the necessity is to make a nuisance of myself flying my toy over your property”.

It’s simple. Why would you want to piss your neighbours off if you don’t have to.
I don't think it is a general "I want to piss off..." problem. I always invite people to see what I do when I am video-or photographing in public (not only when using the drone). It gets me in contact with interesting people, take away fears and concerns and, sometimes, end up with having coffee and dinner.

In Germany there is a way of speech that says as much "The echo you hear is what you shouted before".

In Germany there is a way of speech that says as much "The echo you hear is what you shouted before".

Im familiar with that. You cant ask you Neighbor to mind their business as you would be Not minding your own business to do so.
But yes is more elegant in deutsche

I took this photo in a toy shop yesterday in Sydney, Australia. Is it any wonder so many of the non-droning public fear drones!
Wth? Speaking of Toy Stores and..

SPOILER ALERT:

Child's Play Movie is not going to help with people already who fear Drones...or Alexa A.I

I don't think it is a general "I want to piss off..." problem. I always invite people to see what I do when I am video-or photographing in public (not only when using the drone). It gets me in contact with interesting people, take away fears and concerns and, sometimes, end up with having coffee and dinner.

I do as you do. Happy to share and promote the hobby. People arguably don’t have the same expectation to privacy or legitimate cause to take offence to our toys flying around in public areas. Flying over their private property will often provoke a different reaction. We shouldn’t be surprised when it does.

A short time ago, I was confronted by a neighbor concerned about my drone fights, privacy, stalking and the general "paranoid" stuff. I invited the neighbor(s) and their two children to come over to share the "droning experience" and to see first hand what I was doing. While I may have been lucky, fortunate and perhaps not dealing with the typical cranky person not willing to expand their horizons, I think my approach might be notable. Take advantage of the greatest door-opener we have. Flying a drone is a lot of fun and most people, young and old would love to try it! After going through a safety briefing, checking the weather and airspace, completing the pre-flight check of the batteries, wifi connections, camera, IMU and compass guidance, I took off to a hight of 50 feet and handed the Remote Controller to my neighbor's oldest child. This is up and down, this is right and left, this is forward and backward. The father after 3 minutes asked if he could fly the drone. The paranoid anti-drone family now own more drones than I do and they have found a hobby that has allowed them to bond with their children around flying the drone.

I have printed out your letter because I think it provides an excellent template for discussing drones after you have broken down the communication barrier with the "paranoid" neighbor and built a foundation of trust needed for you and your drone to again be viewed in a positive light.

I think if each one of us, were able to find that one neighbor who is a little concerned with our drone flying and reach out to them to learn first hand what we are doing, I think we can help to heal the horrible wounds, paranoia and hate that have been fueled by the medias attraction to drone pilots unwilling to follow many of societies rules, including those of the FAA governing safe flight.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"

You covered all of the bases, I like it since it covers the subject well. It’s only too long for those people who were not likely to change their minds anyway. It should leave a positive impression for reasonable people who make decisions based on logic, unfortunately we are running out of those kind of people.

In my experience I find that some people are just looking for something to get angry about and when they see my drone they want the confrontation. I have tried the peaceful explanation route with them.
It just gets me in a long winded conversation in which I am forced to justify something to them. After all is said and done they still dont want to listen , but instead just want to speak and thier position is the correct one.

Im not out there to explain myself to anyone. My purpose is to have an enjoyable flight. Thats first and foremost.

Photoshop or not, im not sure that's the smoking gun.

Hobby shop sign cutouts aren't the baseline for engineering excellence

I took this photo in a toy shop yesterday in Sydney, Australia. Is it any wonder so many of the non-droning public fear drones!

Not good advertising at all.

Instead of the letter I'd invite them to see it fly & maybe work the controls & when they showed up I'd have a nice picture of their property to give them. I have 2 airstrips on the farm but when I put them in in I took pics of surrounding farms & gave each one. They're cranky because they don't understand so show them in a positive manner.

Reactions: JAW and Rick W
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13