DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Light to Fly By Night in conformity with FAA

Silverthorne

Reactions
Will this do?: Firehouse Technology "Arc II White Four Strobe Light System Approved FAA 107.29 for Night Flights Drone Quadcopter UAS DJI

Of course never on otherwise restricted zones.

What do the FAA regulation for night flight with a drone say? And are you also going to be applying for your waiver? Because that matters more than just buying the lights.

What do the FAA regulation for night flight with a drone say? And are you also going to be applying for your waiver? Because that matters more than just buying the lights.

the OP did not say he was a part 107 pilot. recreational flying does not require waivers.

the OP did not say he was a part 107 pilot. recreational flying does not require waivers.
Recreational flying is also prohibited after or before civil twilight. So what are you trying to say?

Will this do?: Firehouse Technology "Arc II White Four Strobe Light System Approved FAA 107.29 for Night Flights Drone Quadcopter UAS DJI

Of course never on otherwise restricted zones.
They claim to have a waiver on file, therefore, referencing the above description in your waiver application should be enough. However, if you are not 107 licensed, then you can't get a waiver and can't fly between dark civil twilight hours.
But you will be able to have VLOS much further during daytime hours.

It isn't a belief, it is in the rules.
---------
Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles . . .
------------
What would you lke to debate?

It isn't a belief, it is in the rules.
---------
Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles . . .
------------
What would you lke to debate?

No debate necessary. When you’ve done some real research you will learn that you are wrong. Search this forum and you will find that this issue has been beat to death.

No debate necessary. When you’ve done some real research you will learn that you are wrong. Search this forum and you will find that this issue has been beat to death.
Do you want to get specific about what is wrong about it? I don't read anything ambiguous in Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation that is up for interpretation.
"No Person" is pretty clear. "Night" is defined everywhere. "Civil Twilight" is also very well defined.
The only thing that can confuse someone is "Daylight Waiver". It is a waiver of the Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation rule. Most people view it as a waiver for flying at night so consider it a night time waiver.
BTW ac0j, On October 5, 2018, the President signed the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 , therefore 336 is no longer a valid reference. Please reference 349.

Do you want to get specific about what is wrong about it? I don't read anything ambiguous in Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation that is up for interpretation.
"No Person" is pretty clear. "Night" is defined everywhere. "Civil Twilight" is also very well defined.
The only thing that can confuse someone is "Daylight Waiver". It is a waiver of the Title 14 CFR 107.29 Small UAS Daylight Operation rule. Most people view it as a waiver for flying at night so consider it a night time waiver.
BTW ac0j, On October 5, 2018, the President signed the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 , therefore 336 is no longer a valid reference. Please reference 349.
Thanks, I went to look at it but it seems to be omitted from the website you are quoting from. that range is marked "reserved" I have to assume then that 336 is still relevant.

ETA; since there is NO test for 349 yet, there is no 349 pilots. For NOW 336 IS the rules recreational pilots must adhere to.

Last edited:
If u r referring to FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018, section 349 starts on page 112.
The page # is at the top H. R. 302—112
When I registered my drone on the FAA website I was given a quiz. I assume that is the online "test" refered to. The FAA is still in the process of generating rule content per 349, but 336 is definitely repealed. However, since that content does not exist right now, you're correct - 336 is still "relevant" and what will be used for guidance until 349 content exists.
I don't think one can call rec pilots "349 pilots", but maybe. Were they previously called "336 pilots"?

If u r referring to FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018, section 349 starts on page 112.
The page # is at the top H. R. 302—112
When I registered my drone on the FAA website I was given a quiz. I assume that is the online "test" refered to. The FAA is still in the process of generating rule content per 349, but 336 is definitely repealed. However, since that content does not exist right now, you're correct - 336 is still "relevant" and what will be used for guidance until 349 content exists.
I don't think one can call rec pilots "349 pilots", but maybe. Were they previously called "336 pilots"?

you are getting closer. keep reading as many of us have done before you. I’m not trying to be an A$& but I’ve learned it it pointless to argue with folks on forums that are so sure of their beliefs.

I’m not trying to be an A$& but I’ve learned it it pointless to argue with folks on forums that are so sure of their beliefs.
It would help if you would actually post a link to back up your point rather than just being passive-aggressive.

You are quoting Part 107 regulations. See in your very own quote "Title 14 CFR 107.29" (see 107.29 which is where Part 107 allows for a Daylight waiver, called 107.29)

Currently Hobby Aircraft only have "Guidelines" about flight (except for staying cleared of manned aircraft, notify if 5 miles of airport, and can not interfere with Emergency Services). Until the new rules are released, reviewed, approved, and written into the FARs they don't technically exist.

Until the new rules are actually added to the FARs they are not law as of yet.

We are currently in a massive "Grey Area" for the time being because 336 was repealed but it's replacement has yet to be released, approved, and added to the FARs. Until they are added to the National Registry they aren't law.

Every 107 is also a 336.

No 101 is(was) 336. 107 is 107 and only 107 right now.

Unless you mean Part 107 operators "can" operate under 101/336 rules then you are 100% correct. You just can't mix and match rules from one to the other in the same flight.

OK, fly any way you want and if facing an enforcement action, your defense can obviously be that the law is very unclear because of its piecemeal format and one can find MANY interpretations on the inet from "clarification" papers written by the FAA to legal briefs challenging the law.
It is obvious from all the discusions you can find that it is written so that people who need to understand and comply with it cannot do so unless they hire a lawyer. And since a number of lawyers have outstanding law suites in process, even that is unreliable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zloalex