DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LIPO bags

lilewis

Reactions
Is there any consensus on the safest storage bag for 2-3 M2P LIPO batteries?

Amazon has a bunch listed for only around $10, but I'm more interested in safety than saving a few dollars.
My concern is about charged batteries in the house, not necessarily for airplane travel.

A link to a proven high quality bag would be appreciated .

A link to a proven high quality bag would be appreciated
DJI battery fires are rare, so I think it's going to be tough to find a list of Li-Po bags that have been proven to work as designed.

If you're looking for something that is guaranteed to work, you could use a metal ammo can like this one:

I dont know anyone who wants to carry around an ammo box for their Lipos. Im sure the airlines wouldnt like it much either.
Take a closer look at what the OP is asking. He wants to safely store batteries in his house.

Reactions: SXViper03 and Canuk
Is there any consensus on the safest storage bag for 2-3 M2P LIPO batteries?

Amazon has a bunch listed for only around $10, but I'm more interested in safety than saving a few dollars.
My concern is about charged batteries in the house, not necessarily for airplane travel.

Never store fully charged batteries for more than a couple days. 24 hours or less if you can help it. Discharge them down to 60% before storage. Check them every couple of months and recharge to 60% if they fall below 40%. @msingers idea of a metal ammo box is a good one because it will dissipate the heat well but @Thunderdrones is correct in that you wouldn’t want to travel with that obviously so maybe a bag will be more versatile. You want to avoid storing them close together in an enclosed space however.

If cost is less important than safety you could get both. One for home one for the road

Take a closer look at what the OP is asking. He wants to safely store batteries in his house.

My response = Lipo safe Bag, reviewed and tested by 31 buyers.

Your response = Ammo Box (not tested for lipo storage, but maybe handy for toting some 40 mike,mike, Mike lol)

Not same same

Last edited:
Reactions: kilomikebravo
Never store fully charged batteries for more than a couple days. 24 hours or less if you can help it. Discharge them down to 60% before storage. Check them every couple of months and recharge to 60% if they fall below 40%. @msingers idea of a metal ammo box is a good one because it will dissipate the heat well but @Thunderdrones is correct in that you wouldn’t want to travel with that obviously so maybe a bag will be more versatile. You want to avoid storing them close together in an enclosed space however.

If cost is less important than safety you could get both. One for home one for the road

I agree with your statement. However I wouldnt let them sit around for a couple of months before checking them. I consider it a responsibility to own Lipo batteries, and they take a bit of maintenance to keep them lively and safe.

It is usually not a good idea for a drone owner to have more batteries than he needs, for this exact reason. If you are a casual pilot, and never use your extra batteries, you are doing harm to them by just letting them sit around. If something goes wrong, and the battery level drops below storage, you might be looking at a dangerous situation, or at the very least, stressed out batteries.

Sometimes less is better.

Reactions: brett8883
BTW, the ammo can that the other member has been referring to says nothing about Lipo storage. Im not taking a chance with an unknown product.

BTW, the ammo can that the other member has been referring to says nothing about Lipo storage. Im not taking a chance with an unknown product.
If you want to learn more about the subject, you can find some great conversations in these search results.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lipo bags are an interesting subject to discuss but dont offer a huge amount of protection. It's great to show your attention to safety when travelling by plane it looks good to security

Yeah but maybe its just me. I like using products specifically designed for Lipo storage.

If I were going to use a generic ammo can to store my lipos, it would be Army surplus. You can get some REAL ammo cans here:

Military Surplus Ammo Cans & Military Storage | Sportsman's Guide

That’s fine. The point is lipo bags aren’t inherently the safest way to store lipos. They are really just the most convenient way to store lipos when traveling. The ammo can does have advantages over the lipo bag but has no portability.

An ammo can is designed so that if an explosion occurred the explosion would knock the top open to allow the explosion to escape upwards and away from bystanders. Frankly if there was gonna be an explosion in my house I would rather it be in an ammo can than one of those bags. But to each his own

And is almost always required.

I have never heard of anywhere in the world where a lipo bag was required. The FAA seems to think keeping them inside the device is the safest way to carry them on a plane. They require that terminals are taped over so you don’t have a short circuit with another battery but no mention of lipo bags

That’s fine. The point is lipo bags aren’t inherently the safest way to store lipos. They are really just the most convenient way to store lipos when traveling. The ammo can does have advantages over the lipo bag but has no portability.

An ammo can is designed so that if an explosion occurred the explosion would knock the top open to allow the explosion to escape upwards and away from bystanders. Frankly if there was gonna be an explosion in my house I would rather it be in an ammo can than one of those bags. But to each his own

It really depends on whether or not you are going to be storing multiple lipos in the same container. You would have to take into account the blast radius of a single exploding Lipo to really determine what is the safest way to store a Lipo. If a Lipo safe bag will have the same blast reduction qualities that an ammo can has, no need for an ammo can. Ammo cans are more cumbersome and might be overrated for the job. In all my 45+ years of RC, I have only seen a handful of people toting their Lipos in an ammo can. And I thought it was just a joke.

No need for overkill when storing your Lipos. Just get a nice bag, and you wont have a problem.

Search for 'lipo bag' - AMain Hobbies

I have never heard of anywhere in the world where a lipo bag was required. The FAA seems to think keeping them inside the device is the safest way to carry them on a plane. They require that terminals are taped over so you don’t have a short circuit with another battery but no mention of lipo bags

And whats your personal take on what the FAA requires? I ALWAYS travel with my lipos in a Lipo safe bag. Crazy not to.

Lack of requirements dont overrule common sense.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brigadier B