DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LIPO bags

Lipo bags ultimately don’t offer a great deal of protection. If you’re nearby and a fire starts they might buy you some time to grab an extinguisher. But if you’re not home they may not contain the fire well.

The problem with an ammo box is that they’re air tight. A fire starts and gas starts venting, eventually the ammo box will blow apart, creating shrapnel.

Probably the safest product for lipo storage is the bat safe. It’s purpose built to contain a fire while filtering and venting the gases,which can be toxic.

It’s not cheap, but it’s not going to break the bank either: Bat-Safe LiPo Charging Case - BTS-BAT-SAFE

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions/advice. I am in the US and actually have an old metal ammo box and will dig it out of my crap in the cellar. Now I'm thinking I'll still buy one of the bags recommended here, and may put that in the ammo box if it fits and isn't a risk for an ultimate pressure explosion.

The problem with an ammo box is that they’re air tight. A fire starts and gas starts venting, eventually the ammo box will blow apart, creating shrapnel.
You should be able to prevent that from happening by drilling a few small holes in the lid.

Lipo bags ultimately don’t offer a great deal of protection. If you’re nearby and a fire starts they might buy you some time to grab an extinguisher. But if you’re not home they may not contain the fire well.

Probably the safest product for lipo storage is the bat safe. It’s purpose built to contain a fire while filtering and venting the gases,which can be toxic.

It’s not cheap, but it’s not going to break the bank either: Bat-Safe LiPo Charging Case - BTS-BAT-SAFE

I still like Lipo bags. Ive been witness to Lipos blowing up, smoking and catching fire. A simple Lipo safe bag will do the trick.

This is a typical Lipo "explosion." It appears to be a 3S battery, same that the MP runs on. Its less force than a cherry bomb, but throws more flames than a Roman candle.

Last edited:
You should be able to prevent that from happening by drilling a few small holes in the lid.

Yes, so the poisonous vapors can get out after it catches fire. :rolleyes:

Guys, just use a Lipo bag. No drama, and no alteration of an otherwise safe device. Plus, noone will think youre a psycho for carrying around an ammo can at the park. Such a simple solution.

LiPo Charge Protection Bag, Small | HorizonHobby

Reactions: Drgnfli and lilewis
That's a real concern, but it's not something LiPo bags solve. They will likely prevent your house from burning down though.

Another thought... So many people store their batteries inside their drones. Not me! If one was to puff, catch fire, or leak, there goes your drone. So, another vote for storing them in a bag if you wont be using them for a while.

Lipo bags are an interesting subject to discuss but dont offer a huge amount of protection. It's great to show your attention to safety when travelling by plane it looks good to security
And is almost always required.
And whats your personal take on what the FAA requires? I ALWAYS travel with my lipos in a Lipo safe bag. Crazy not to.
There's no airline or aviation safety body in the world that requires Lipo batteries to be carried in Lipo bags.
Airport security check people wouldn't know what a Lipo bag is or care.

If it was important, there would be restrictions for all the other Lipo batteries on the plane too - all the mobile phones, cameras, laptops, iPads etc.

There's no airline or aviation safety body in the world that requires Lipo batteries to be carried in Lipo bags.
Airport security check people wouldn't know what a Lipo bag is or care.

If it was important, there would be restrictions for all the other Lipo batteries on the plane too - all the mobile phones, cameras, laptops, iPads etc.

Oh I thought we settled that point around 20 posts ago. It's irrelevant anyway. Just because the airlines dont require it, that doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. Anyone with common sense would put their drone Lipos in a fireproof bag when traveling abroad. After all, you are not the only one on the airplane, and could jeopardize other peoples lives.

I wonder why the US Airlines limit the number and watt hours you can carry on a plane? And why does the US postal service, Fedex UPS and other carriers limit the amount of watt hours that you can ship? Furthermore, you can not ship a Lipo internationally from the USA to another country.

To wit:

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours

New LiPo Shipping Rules

Oh I thought we settled that point around 20 posts ago. It's irrelevant anyway. Just because the airlines dont require it, that doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. Anyone with common sense would put their drone Lipos in a fireproof bag when traveling abroad. After all, you are not the only one on the airplane, and could jeopardize other peoples lives.
In posts #16 & #20 you were still suggesting it was required by authorities and I didn't see any thing settles.
As I mentioned, if it really was a great idea, airlines and safety authorities would require it for all lipo batteries on a plane but they don't, even though most passengers will have some Lipo batteries with them..

I wonder why the US Airlines limit the number and watt hours you can carry on a plane? And why does the US postal service, Fedex UPS and other carriers limit the amount of watt hours that you can ship?
Wonder no more. It's because of this:
And in case you wonder about what the requirements are for passengers carrying batteries on flights, here's the document that all airlines requirements are based on:
Furthermore, you can not ship a Lipo internationally from the USA to another country.
You can. You just can't do it by air.

Reactions: msinger

Guys, just use a Lipo bag. No drama, and no alteration of an otherwise safe device. Plus, noone will think youre a psycho for carrying around an ammo can at the park. Such a simple solution.

LiPo Charge Protection Bag, Small | HorizonHobby

I just ordered the DN1400 from HorizonHobby. I also found a local hobby shop that sells them and paid $20 for the one in the attached photo. It holds 2 batteries. I probably won't know which is better unless each bag experiences a bad battery.

In any case I'm not comfortable keeping 2 batteries in the same bag. My common sense tells me that If one decides to blow, they'll both be destroyed and the fire would be even more intensive and risky.

Attachments

• IMG_9637.JPG
    IMG_9637.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Former Member
I just ordered the DN1400 from HorizonHobby. I also found a local hobby shop that sells them and paid $20 for the one in the attached photo. It holds 2 batteries. I probably won't know which is better unless each bag experiences a bad battery.

In any case I'm not comfortable keeping 2 batteries in the same bag. My common sense tells me that If one decides to blow, they'll both be destroyed and the fire would be even more intensive and risky.

Good thinking! Your batteries will probably last you a long time. ;)

Reactions: lilewis
Another thought... So many people store their batteries inside their drones. Not me! If one was to puff, catch fire, or leak, there goes your drone. So, another vote for storing them in a bag if you wont be using them for a while.

Now THAT is a very good point.
I had discharge set for 5 days, but always leave one in the MP.
Might change that habit.

While it would be absolutely great for ALL instances of UAV related battery failures to be reported, I suspect that is not the case. Even so, it would appear the DJI UAV battery range does have a pretty good safety record, but I would suggest DJI cannot be held responsible for all instances of battery failure resulting in maybe fire or explosion. Though slightly off topic, there was a very good example shown on news channels here and across Australia over the weekend, where a portable battery charging unit caught fire (cause not reported) on the front seat of an SUV. The woman driving the vehicle barely had the time to get her two children out and away from the SUV before it erupted into a fireball. The vehicle was gutted. Thankfully no one was injured. The relevance of my analogy is to suggest that anything that can be done to minimise risk related to battery failure should be done. Ask yourself, "where in your vehicle do you place a UAV and gear when driving somewhere?". On the back seat, in the boot (trunk), in the footwell of the front passenger seat! Could you see, or would be able to react quickly enough if you smelt smoke/electrical fumes.
By all means shop around for lipo bags, because prices aren't all the same. But, procrastinating over the relative small cost of individual lipo bags for each battery, when compared to losing a vehicle, losing a home, or worst case scenario losing a life, has got to be a no-brainer!
I for one have all my UAV lipo batteries (7 in total) stored in individual lipo bags.

Reactions: Pietros and lilewis
While it would be absolutely great for ALL instances of UAV related battery failures to be reported, I suspect that is not the case. Even so, it would appear the DJI UAV battery range does have a pretty good safety record, but I would suggest DJI cannot be held responsible for all instances of battery failure resulting in maybe fire or explosion. Though slightly off topic, there was a very good example shown on news channels here and across Australia over the weekend, where a portable battery charging unit caught fire (cause not reported) on the front seat of an SUV. The woman driving the vehicle barely had the time to get her two children out and away from the SUV before it erupted into a fireball. The vehicle was gutted. Thankfully no one was injured. The relevance of my analogy is to suggest that anything that can be done to minimise risk related to battery failure should be done. Ask yourself, "where in your vehicle do you place a UAV and gear when driving somewhere?". On the back seat, in the boot (trunk), in the footwell of the front passenger seat! Could you see, or would be able to react quickly enough if you smelt smoke/electrical fumes.
By all means shop around for lipo bags, because prices aren't all the same. But, procrastinating over the relative small cost of individual lipo bags for each battery, when compared to losing a vehicle, losing a home, or worst case scenario losing a life, has got to be a no-brainer!
I for one have all my UAV lipo batteries (7 in total) stored in individual lipo bags.
I agree!

While it would be absolutely great for ALL instances of UAV related battery failures to be reported, I suspect that is not the case.

there was a very good example shown on news channels here and across Australia over the weekend, where a portable battery charging unit caught fire (cause not reported) on the front seat of an SUV. The woman driving the vehicle barely had the time to get her two children out and away from the SUV before it erupted into a fireball.

I did read a crash report here on his forum, where the "crashee" said his drone hot the ground (presumably a Mavic), the battery popped out and landed nearby, caught fire and started a small fire, which they were able to put out !!

Maybe @Thunderdrones or other expereinced flyers can advise what might cause this ?
Swollen batteries, are they possible more unstable ? (Besides popping out in flight easier ?)
Batteries with maybe 50, 100, several hundred charges ?
Or can it happen with a new battery ?

a very good example shown on news channels here and across Australia over the weekend, where a portable battery charging unit caught fire (cause not reported) on the front seat of an SUV.

"where in your vehicle do you place a UAV and gear when driving somewhere?". On the back seat, in the boot (trunk), in the footwell of the front passenger seat! Could you see, or would be able to react quickly enough if you smelt smoke/electrical fumes.

I briefly saw this headline (I think) in the past couple of days, but didn't click it, wish I had now.
Was possibly a phone charger / lipo A pity it didn't report what it was, if known.

For me this is very relevant.
We go off grid for weeks at a time, 2 - 5 weeks or so, and the MP charger is on the floor behind my seat, usually one at a time, not the multi hub.
(I also charge the phone in the vehicle, usually on the dash mount, but odds are this is VERY rare to happen.)

Ok, so if I slipped the battery being charged into a lipo bag, could that not create more heat while charging ?
Or are they mainly made, should only be used, for transport / storage ?

I'll have to test just how hot the charger and battery feel during a charge, this might indicate a problem.
Compare to home charging.

Lots to consider with this subject and safety, even though cases of fires happening are very rare, it's a chance.

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine